Louis Riel Day

Guest tr*****e

So, today is Louis Riel Day here in Manitoba. Somehow, our new holiday got cynically matched up with everyone else's Family Day, and now we all get to thank the legacy of "Uncle Louis" that we get another paid day off. What thoughts does everyone have on this?

I guess I'll start the discussion myself on this. In my view, Louis Riel was a traitorous anti-government rebel that deserved what he got, but that's just what everyone gets told in school now. Perhaps it's a question of living in a totally different era, but I see nothing heroic about the man. Yes, I agree that white man stole the natives' land, but that was so very long ago, so why does anyone even pretend to give a shit anymore? And Louis Riel? Maybe he was a hero, or maybe he was a criminal, but now seems a little late to give him credit for anything than being Victorian Canada's FLQ.

Input, anyone? And please remember that I'm not trying to offend anyone with my statements.

Legislation proclaiming the third Monday in February as Louis Riel Day was passed by Manitoba's Legislative Assembly on April 17, 2007, and first celebrated February 18, 2008. The day is known as Louis Riel Day, a name suggested by Manitoba school students, in honor of Louis Riel the Metis leader regarded as the Father of Manitoba.

In 1869-1870 he headed a provisional government, which would eventually negotiate the Manitoba Act with the Canadian government. The Act established Manitoba as a province and provided some protection for French language rights.

Riel was the undisputed spiritual and political head of the short-lived 1885 Rebellion. He never carried arms and hindered the work of his military head, Gabriel Dumont. Riel was increasingly influenced by his belief that he was chosen to lead the Métis people. On May 15, shortly after the fall of Batoche, Riel surrendered to Canadian forces and was taken to Regina to stand trial for treason.

At his trial, Riel gave two long speeches which demonstrated his powerful rhetorical abilities. He personally rejected attempts by his defence counsel to prove he was not guilty by reason of insanity. On 1 August 1885, a jury of six English-speaking Protestants found Riel guilty but recommended mercy. Judge Hugh Richardson sentenced him to death. Attempted appeals were dismissed and a special re-examination of Riel's mental state by government appointed doctors found him sane. He was hanged in Regina on 16 November, 1885. His execution was widely opposed in Quebec and had lasting political ramifications.

Islander Day- PEI

In the province of PEI it is called Islander Day first in 2009 due to the rising trend of a holiday in February. First held on the second Monday of February in 2009, much controversy followed in most business being hurt with being out of sync with their partners in other provinces which held Family Day on the third Monday of each February; which coincided with business partners from the U.S.A which held their President's Day on the third Monday.

Family Day Also called Louis Riel Day (Manitoba), Islander Day (PEI) Observed by Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Saskatchewan Date 3rd Monday in February

I have no issue with the Holiday, don't forget now, not all business are closed today.

So, today is Louis Riel Day here in Manitoba. Somehow, our new holiday got cynically matched up with everyone else's Family Day, and now we all get to thank the legacy of "Uncle Louis" that we get another paid day off. What thoughts does everyone have on this?

I guess I'll start the discussion myself on this. In my view, Louis Riel was a traitorous anti-government rebel that deserved what he got, but that's just what everyone gets told in school now. Perhaps it's a question of living in a totally different era, but I see nothing heroic about the man. Yes, I agree that white man stole the natives' land, but that was so very long ago, so why does anyone even pretend to give a shit anymore? And Louis Riel? Maybe he was a hero, or maybe he was a criminal, but now seems a little late to give him credit for anything than being Victorian Canada's FLQ.

Input, anyone? And please remember that I'm not trying to offend anyone with my statements.

I personally object to the day on the basis that the government shoves these holidays upon us and then expects small business to pick up the tab by having to pay all of our employees to stay home.

If the government wants to proclaim Louis Riel Day or Family Day or whatever other holiday they choose, then they should foot the bill and compensate the small businesses across the province for the 100's of thousands of dollars we end up paying out because some MLA (who likely has never had a real job) decided everybody needed another day off.

• Like 1

I personally object to the day on the basis that the government shoves these holidays upon us and then expects small business to pick up the tab by having to pay all of our employees to stay home.

If the government wants to proclaim Louis Riel Day or Family Day or whatever other holiday they choose, then they should foot the bill and compensate the small businesses across the province for the 100's of thousands of dollars we end up paying out because some MLA (who likely has never had a real job) decided everybody needed another day off.

I feel exactly the same way, can people not go a couple of months with out a fricken long week-end? I agree, it's seems we screw the business people of this province as hard as we can as often as we can.

There are at least a dozen things already named for Reil in Winnipeg, do we not have someone else that deserves a little recognition?

I enjoy every dam long week-end that comes along.

Jan-New Years

Feb-Family Day

March-Good Friday

May-Victoria Day

July- Canada Day

August-Civic Day

Sept- Labour Day

Oct-Thanksgiving Day

December- Christmas and Boxing Day

We just need April,June,November to complete the year, that itself would be great. :) :) LOL

I feel exactly the same way, can people not go a couple of months with out a fricken long week-end?
  • Like 1

"Family Day" called Heritage Day orginated in Alberta in 1990. Don Getty's son I believe had been busted for coke. The holiday was so folks have time to focus on family values.........at the mall lol

Peace

MG

Perfect! focus...now :chug:

"Family Day" called Heritage Day orginated in Alberta in 1990. Don Getty's son I believe had been busted for coke. The holiday was so folks have time to focus on family values.........at the mall lol

Peace

MG

Guest tr*****e

Ok, so I didn't pay enough attention in school, WIT, but at the same time there are many things already named for him the 'peg. My humble apologies to the man's legacy...

Legislation proclaiming the third Monday in February as Louis Riel Day was passed by Manitoba's Legislative Assembly on April 17, 2007, and first celebrated February 18, 2008. The day is known as Louis Riel Day, a name suggested by Manitoba school students, in honor of Louis Riel the Metis leader regarded as the Father of Manitoba.

In 1869-1870 he headed a provisional government, which would eventually negotiate the Manitoba Act with the Canadian government. The Act established Manitoba as a province and provided some protection for French language rights.

Riel was the undisputed spiritual and political head of the short-lived 1885 Rebellion. He never carried arms and hindered the work of his military head, Gabriel Dumont. Riel was increasingly influenced by his belief that he was chosen to lead the Métis people. On May 15, shortly after the fall of Batoche, Riel surrendered to Canadian forces and was taken to Regina to stand trial for treason.

At his trial, Riel gave two long speeches which demonstrated his powerful rhetorical abilities. He personally rejected attempts by his defence counsel to prove he was not guilty by reason of insanity. On 1 August 1885, a jury of six English-speaking Protestants found Riel guilty but recommended mercy. Judge Hugh Richardson sentenced him to death. Attempted appeals were dismissed and a special re-examination of Riel's mental state by government appointed doctors found him sane. He was hanged in Regina on 16 November, 1885. His execution was widely opposed in Quebec and had lasting political ramifications.

Without getting completely and irrationally heated up about the original post in this thread all I can say is history is written by the conquerers. Thank you Pistol Pete for posting a very clear and concise responce.

Posted via Mobile Device

I just researched the man (Riel) and gave some pasted insight history about him. I find Canadian History very interesting and foremost kids today should be taught more about our history.

That said, again I do not object to long week-ends, yes it is difficult on the small business people, just like me..but you have to grin and bear it and carry on. Long week-ends are not my real battle with government in small business, it is the tax that burdens and affects us in our day to day operation.

Jan-New Years

Feb-Family Day

March-Good Friday

May-Victoria Day

July- Canada Day

August-Civic Day

Sept- Labour Day

Oct-Thanksgiving Day

We just need April,June,November to complete the year, that itself would be great. :) :) LOL

Yes, Pete that would be great.

Or maybe we could have jobs were we only work about 100 days of the year for a very good salary, pension and perks like the Members of Parliament or the Canadian Senate. LOL

Guest W***ledi*Time
Ok, so I didn't pay enough attention in school, WIT, but at the same time there are many things already named for him the 'peg. My humble apologies to the man's legacy...

ha ha ... how in tarnation did my name crop up in this thread???

anyway ... Happy 3rd Monday in February ... from holidayless Nova Scotia!

Tratelle you struck a bit of a raw nerve with me. I brought this matter up previouly on another board with many of the same points as you have. Many of the contributions to the post were in support of our possition but not all.

I go one step further. European did not "steal Indian land" Nomatic people do not have the same claim to land as people that develope the land. They are like renters in an appartment. They use the land. Like renters. They shouldn't say ' We lived there every summer for a thousand years so it is mine'.

The native peoples in Manitoba and all of the prairie provinces used the land. When winter came they packed up and moved south and who could blame them. Jeez living on the open land in a buffalo hide tent at 40 below none of us could to it ( well maybe marathon man for a week or something) . I frequently hear 'you stole our land'. Where the hell is the " thanks for showing us how to build warm houses, we sure appreciated the guns to get food,hey how about those steel knives, who would have guesses; wheels to move things on, guess what horses to carry our stuff " none of that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike native people I just dispise this attitude and by makeing Louis Riel a hero instead to the criminal that he was we are playing the game that makes villians of the real heros. The real heros are those that developed this land and made our country into the strong productive nation that it is.

I may have a bit of a different prespective having been educated in Alberta, in Sakatchewan and in Manitoba. Each province has there own piece of the Louis Riel story. Tratelle you have it right. Our celebration on Louis Riel the hero is a like celebrateing the FLQ only a bit more stupid. I have a bid longer memory that some but I don't remember the FLQ actually being responsibe for attacking whole communities in Quebec.

There are some that say that without Louis Riel Manitoba would never have become a province. "We needed that revolt to form a province in western Canada". My recollections of Canadian history does not recall that Saskatchwan, Alberta or B.C. needing such an anti-hero to become provinces in Canada.

Like livenudecats, and quicknicks, a bit I object to unnessicary holidays. I believe work is nessicary for us individually and as a nation. Unlike pistolepete I believe in fair taxation, but I hate paying taxes to people that make laws that are distructive to our ecomomy and cause me to pay wages to people that are being non productive, and in the name of a person that was resposible for killing people that built this nation.

Anyway, sorry, I am a much kinder person that this contribution to a post would make me seem. chicas /chavez

Guest tr*****e

Anyway, sorry, I am a much kinder person that this contribution to a post would make me seem. chicas /chavez

Yeah, man. I'm part native myself, but you could never tell by looking at me. I just think it's time to move on, that's all. Maybe it's time I moved on on these kind of issues, myself.

Guys, this thread is becoming hugely insulting. CERB is a very welcoming community and I would hate to see racial comments on here. :) Everyone is entiteled to their own opinions but some opinions don't need to be shared on a public forum like this.

Posted via Mobile Device

Jan-New Years

Feb-Family Day

March-Good Friday

May-Victoria Day

July- Canada Day

August-Civic Day

Sept- Labour Day

Oct-Thanksgiving Day

Actually Pistol......Good Friday is in April.......This is only the 3rd year of Louis Riel day here in Manitoba, before that we went from New Years day till Good Friday without a long weekend..If my math is correct it was about 16 weeks without a long weekend........Anyone who lives here in the Toba knows how long winter already is, so for me it's nice to have at least one long weekend between those 16 weeks. Of course you can always make your own long weekend by booking off work or calling in " Sick ".... Some of us get November 11th off, remembrance day....but that's not always a long weekend...... Did you notice that this year, all the stat holiday are either a Friday or Monday this year?? And that there are 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays this July?? Weird

Guest tr*****e
Actually Pistol......Good Friday is in April.......This is only the 3rd year of Louis Riel day here in Manitoba, before that we went from New Years day till Good Friday without a long weekend..If my math is correct it was about 16 weeks without a long weekend........Anyone who lives here in the Toba knows how long winter already is, so for me it's nice to have at least one long weekend between those 16 weeks. Of course you can always make your own long weekend by booking off work or calling in " Sick ".... Anyways, just my 2 cents on it

Yes, yes! THIS is the kind of thought I like! I don't hate anyone for being sincere, I just want a day off!

Actually Pistol......Good Friday is in April

Yes I stand corrected, thanks for pointing that out.8-)

Guest tr*****e

Look, I'm sorry, everyone. I never intended this thread to come across as hateful or anything, I wasn't totally awake when I started this, and my point was that all I had ever been told about Louis Riel was that he was a criminal and hung for treason. I don't think anyone's ever put the idea to me that Louis Riel might have actually had good intentions for what he did. My mistake, and I'm sorry. Like I've said, I am part native, so for me, this isn't about hating anybody, this is about someone that I was told was a bad person. I said some pretty incoherent things, and again, I'm sorry.

I would have posted this earlier, but my internet was down.

I feel exactly the same way, can people not go a couple of months with out a fricken long week-end? I agree, it's seems we screw the business people of this province as hard as we can as often as we can.

There are at least a dozen things already named for Reil in Winnipeg, do we not have someone else that deserves a little recognition?

Wasn't it Tom and Joe at 92FM that campaigned for a Feb. long week-end?? It should have been called,"Tom and Joe Day"!!

*For your info:Tom and Joe are an institution in Winnipeg.

Edited by Eraser
Addition

I'm not from Manitoba, hell, I'm not even from Canada, so please keep that in mind as I offer my opinion. I don't think the Natives care so much about losing "their" land, I think it's more about them losing their way of life. You can make the argument they are better off because of technology and modern conveniences, but are they really? They were probably a lot happier the way things used to be for them. No group of people should ever tell another group of prople how to live, or what's best for them. Lord knows my government trys to do that all the time.

Just my $.02.

Tratelle you struck a bit of a raw nerve with me. I brought this matter up previouly on another board with many of the same points as you have. Many of the contributions to the post were in support of our possition but not all.

I go one step further. European did not "steal Indian land" Nomatic people do not have the same claim to land as people that develope the land. They are like renters in an appartment. They use the land. Like renters. They shouldn't say ' We lived there every summer for a thousand years so it is mine'.

The native peoples in Manitoba and all of the prairie provinces used the land. When winter came they packed up and moved south and who could blame them. Jeez living on the open land in a buffalo hide tent at 40 below none of us could to it ( well maybe marathon man for a week or something) . I frequently hear 'you stole our land'. Where the hell is the " thanks for showing us how to build warm houses, we sure appreciated the guns to get food,hey how about those steel knives, who would have guesses; wheels to move things on, guess what horses to carry our stuff " none of that.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike native people I just dispise this attitude and by makeing Louis Riel a hero instead to the criminal that he was we are playing the game that makes villians of the real heros. The real heros are those that developed this land and made our country into the strong productive nation that it is.

I may have a bit of a different prespective having been educated in Alberta, in Sakatchewan and in Manitoba. Each province has there own piece of the Louis Riel story. Tratelle you have it right. Our celebration on Louis Riel the hero is a like celebrateing the FLQ only a bit more stupid. I have a bid longer memory that some but I don't remember the FLQ actually being responsibe for attacking whole communities in Quebec.

There are some that say that without Louis Riel Manitoba would never have become a province. "We needed that revolt to form a province in western Canada". My recollections of Canadian history does not recall that Saskatchwan, Alberta or B.C. needing such an anti-hero to become provinces in Canada.

Like livenudecats, and quicknicks, a bit I object to unnessicary holidays. I believe work is nessicary for us individually and as a nation. Unlike pistolepete I believe in fair taxation, but I hate paying taxes to people that make laws that are distructive to our ecomomy and cause me to pay wages to people that are being non productive, and in the name of a person that was resposible for killing people that built this nation.

I guess when you think about it,how could you improve; clean water,clean air,hunting and fishing all day,women doing all the work(J/K) and making love all night....only the white man would be dumb enough to change that!!!