Ottawa officer charged with sexual assault

Guest s******ecan****

Its always satisfying to me when LE officials who abuse their power are held accountable for their actions.

The majority of LE are hard working and honest, some are corrupt, and some like the individual mentioned here forget that the law applies to them as well. These are the LE that I despise.

That's crazy. I'm not willing to say police violence is 'on the rise', but I am definitely happy to see more public reaction against police brutality and abuses of power.

I agree with you, most are hard working and honest, they're just caught up in a really violent institution.

I would wait before passing judgement on anyone being hung out to dry in the media.

There are always 2 sides to every story and situation. One thing that is for certain, if the media can screw up a story it seems they will find every opportunity to twist it to make it sound more exciting.

This isn't me defending anyone, just at least give the person a chance to explain themselves. I'm sure we all would want the same respect if we were in a situation.

Guest S*rca****sid

Sorry, I meant this *school* year. And in the *last* year, meaning March- March kind of thing.

Most of those media reports are not from this year.

Guest S*rca****sid
Sorry, I meant this *school* year. And in the *last* year, meaning March- March kind of thing.

You missed that there are articles from 2004, 2006, and 2007. Also, one refers to protesters being arrested for putting up a banner, which has no relevance towards police misconduct.

I agree with PKJason - it is so easy to point fingers and assume guilt before one knows all the facts as they may be brought out in court as evidence. I'm not saying that an assault didn't happen. I'm not saying that the plaintiff should ignore her right to protections. I'm not saying that everything in this case is self-evident based on the video. I just don't think it's fair to leap to conclusions.

You missed that there are articles from 2004, 2006, and 2007. Also, one refers to protesters being arrested for putting up a banner, which has no relevance towards police misconduct.

The vast majority of the articles are from the past year.

The one about the banner drop is to make the point that the police decided to use their discretion (seeing as banner drops aren't clearly defined as crimes and that the mischief charge can virtually be applied to anything [a bunch of my friends were charged with this for simply marching in rally once]) to arrest people who were publicly speaking out against the police. I realize the article does not provide the reader with much detail but that is what is to be made of this article as part of a longer list of articles on police misconduct and harassment of the public.

While I am extra weary of the validity of mainstream media articles, I am also starting to notice how quick the general public is to defend the police as opposed to cases in which members of the public are being charged with offenses.

I do a lot of anti-police brutality work and I am shocked over and over again at how common police brutality/misconduct actually is.

Guest S*rca****sid
The vast majority of the articles are from the past year.

The one about the banner drop is to make the point that the police decided to use their discretion (seeing as banner drops aren't clearly defined as crimes and that the mischief charge can virtually be applied to anything [a bunch of my friends were charged with this for simply marching in rally once]) to arrest people who were publicly speaking out against the police. I realize the article does not provide the reader with much detail but that is what is to be made of this article as part of a longer list of articles on police misconduct and harassment of the public.

While I am extra weary of the validity of mainstream media articles, I am also starting to notice how quick the general public is to defend the police as opposed to cases in which members of the public are being charged with offenses.

I do a lot of anti-police brutality work and I am shocked over and over again at how common police brutality/misconduct actually is.

I believe the police had good intentions for arresting the people for putting up the banner. There is the public safety are risk. What would you think if the banner had fallen onto traffic and cause an accident? Or what if one of the protesters had fallen while attempting to put it up or take it down? It's about setting an example, so that others will not endanger themselves or anyone else.

Interesting,

I was there and the police were screaming at the banner droppers "get down for your own safety" (which is ironic because if they were actually concerned about their safety they wouldn't scream and intimidate them as a means to get down as they were standing on quite a thin bridge ). Following this, the officers arrested the two banner droppers and then proceeded to strip search one of them (for their safety?).

I realize that you could not have possibly known these details from the article, but I thought I'd add a little more detail for perspective.

Regardless of the details of this specific incident, the point I was trying to make by posting all the articles was that this seems to be an ongoing pattern of police violence/misconduct against the public.

For many of us, these incidents do not abide to our everyday realities but it is also worth mentioning that certain populations are surveilled far more than others, street sex workers being one group which is why I posted the POWER report "Challenges".

I believe the police had good intentions for arresting the people for putting up the banner. There is the public safety are risk. What would you think if the banner had fallen onto traffic and cause an accident? Or what if one of the protesters had fallen while attempting to put it up or take it down? It's about setting an example, so that others will not endanger themselves or anyone else.

Guest S*rca****sid
Interesting,

I was there and the police were screaming at the banner droppers "get down for your own safety" (which is ironic because if they were actually concerned about their safety they wouldn't scream and intimidate them as a means to get down as they were standing on quite a thin bridge ). Following this, the officers arrested the two banner droppers and then proceeded to strip search one of them (for their safety?).

I realize that you could not have possibly known these details from the article, but I thought I'd add a little more detail for perspective.

Regardless of the details of this specific incident, the point I was trying to make by posting all the articles was that this seems to be an ongoing pattern of police violence/misconduct against the public.

For many of us, these incidents do not abide to our everyday realities but it is also worth mentioning that certain populations are surveilled far more than others, street sex workers being one group which is why I posted the POWER report "Challenges".

Were they stripped searched right there? Why would the protestors choose such a dangerous location to hang a banner?

I think we can both agree (as you stated before) that we should question the media and how they report the news. What we see in the media is only the tip of the iceberg.

No, they were strip searched later. And the location was chosen because of its visibility. And all of the information I just stated was not reported by the media, rather it was I who was there and saw/heard later on that these things happened, and so this specific incident does not concern the validity of the media's reporting other than the fact that the article had very little detail. I do agree that the media is usually super biased and does not cover the whole story.

Were they stripped searched right there? Why would the protestors choose such a dangerous location to hang a banner?

I think we can both agree (as you stated before) that we should question the media and how they report the news. What we see in the media is only the tip of the iceberg.

I am not condoning any police brutality but you have to know that if you resist during your arrest things won't go well for you. If your compliant your stay probably wouldn't be so bad...save your resistance for your day in court...

Posted via Mobile Device

I am not condoning any police brutality but you have to know that if you resist during your arrest things won't go well for you. If your compliant your stay probably wouldn't be so bad...save your resistance for your day in court...

Posted via Mobile Device

Fair enough, but resisting does not give police the authority to abuse you, or for men to strip-search you.

Fair enough' date=' but resisting does not give police the authority to abuse you, or for men to strip-search you.[/quote']

Was just about to say the same thing!

Sounds like you've already found guilty & convicted - whatever happened to a day in court?

Not sure if you've followed many cases in which officers have been charged with offenses against the public but the pattern usually follows that they are NEVER convicted so don't worry, this dude will run the streets free some day soon. Officers have this absurd brotherhood in which the union will defend them to their death and other officers will NEVER testify against the person on trial. It's ridiculous! So much for no one is above the law.

And I will also ask you if you ever question the way in which many cases in which the perpetrators are "regular citizens" will have their day in court. I feel like when these things involve police officers, everyone is quick to jump to their defense. Again, I don't know, I'm just posing the question.

Sounds like you've already found guilty & convicted - whatever happened to a day in court?

Part that I question is why the first time I saw the video on CTV the girl was horse kicking the officer, when I saw it the second time that portion of the video was gone.