Medical Clinic Complaint?

My family doctor is on mat leave and I called to make an appointment with her replacement. She receptionist was incredibly rude to me. To finish our conversation, we booked an appointment and when she asked my name, I spelled it (there are multiple spellings) and she interrupted me and said: "I know how to spell, bye" and hung up on me! I didn't even have the chance to ask the name of the doctor I had booked an appointment with!

Normally I would complain to my doctor, but she's on mat leave. What can I do? I'd send a letter to the clinic, but the letter would probably go to her!

Guest s******ecan****

Thats horrible. I don't know what the arrangement is at your clinic but many of them have a manager (if several doctors are involved).

Certainly you should mention it to the substitute Dr. when you see him/her.

My Dr. has a receptionist that seems to be PMS'ing everyday! She was very very rude on the phone one day and hung up on me. When I went in for my appointment, the desk is right there when you go into the room with the DR. She was sitting there looking at a file, so I calmly said to her in front of the Dr, nurse and other receptionist, "I didnt appreciate you being so rude on the phone when I called to make an appointment to see my doctor. if your having a bad, take it out on your husband, NOT the damn patiences." I simply walked away and went in the room with my doctor. He knows I am very blunt and have no problem speaking my mind, so he never asked any questions. The next time i called she was nice as pie!!

Many clinics actually have a governance body as well - there may well be a place to complain that does not imply going through the doctor.

Ugh. Sorry you had to deal with that.

It's a bit of a dilemma. Unfortunately, these people are the gate keepers for the doctors in the practice, and if you decide to pursue the issue and she is a bitch she can get back at you, make a mistake setting up your next appointment or misfiling some test results. It may be an isolated incident, so tread carefully.

I would suggest a polite comment to the attending physician, and if this happening quite often the doctor will come to the conclusion that there's a problem that has to be dealt with.

Give this a try! I did this when my dr.'s receptionist was acting the same!

http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/complaints/default.aspx?id=1772

My family doctor is on mat leave and I called to make an appointment with her replacement. She receptionist was incredibly rude to me. To finish our conversation' date=' we booked an appointment and when she asked my name, I spelled it (there are multiple spellings) and she interrupted me and said: "I know how to spell, bye" and hung up on me! I didn't even have the chance to ask the name of the doctor I had booked an appointment with!

Normally I would complain to my doctor, but she's on mat leave. What can I do? I'd send a letter to the clinic, but the letter would probably go to her![/quote']

My family doctor is on mat leave and I called to make an appointment with her replacement. She receptionist was incredibly rude to me. To finish our conversation' date=' we booked an appointment and when she asked my name, I spelled it (there are multiple spellings) and she interrupted me and said: "I know how to spell, bye" and hung up on me! I didn't even have the chance to ask the name of the doctor I had booked an appointment with!

Normally I would complain to my doctor, but she's on mat leave. What can I do? I'd send a letter to the clinic, but the letter would probably go to her![/quote']

...and the other solution is to take it up directly with the receptionist. She may not have realised she was being rude, and a nice, civil, chat with her could clarify the matter. If it doesn't, then you may take it up to the next level.

Hope it did not ruin your day.

I told the doctor I saw what happened and he told me her husband passes away 2 weeks ago. I guess this is a reminder not to judge people.

Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately you should let it go!

All doctors know that you cannot find another one, so they have the power to just let you go and not give you services anymore.

It is a harsh reality that you need to eat shit and smile when it come to our medical system.

I do not think that a doctor can just drop you as a patient.

There was a case a few years ago in Winnipeg where a doctor was going to drop all patients who smoked. He gave a couple years notice and offered help in quitting but there was still an uproar about it.

Of course your doctor can still agree to see you, what time next year is good for you?