Just in case you didn't see the Toronto Slutwalk post

I copied this from Facebook

Can't get to SlutWalk Toronto? Me either! Still want to SlutWalk? Me, too! So let's meet at the Women's Monument in Minto Park, a week after our fellow SlutWalkers in Toronto, at the same time as our Solidarity SlutWalkers in London, and tell the people of Ottawa,

WE'VE HAD ENOUGH!

It's time to reclaim the word "slut" and end "slut-shaming". No one should never be ashamed of their sexuality and desire for sexual contact, either fo...r pleasure or for work.

NO MORE VICTIM BLAMING!

No one asks for sexual assault. Never, ever is there any justification for unwanted sexual attention or contact by another human being. A person's sexual history is not justification for sexual assault, and it should never be used to try and get a sexual predator off the hook.

NO MORE SEXUAL ASSAULT!

1:30 PM - meet at the Women's Monument in Minto Park. We will be writing letters and making posters to leave for community members and those entering or exiting the court house to see. There will be some fabulous speakers to inspire our solutions to end sexual assault.

CALLING-OUT INJUSTICE!

SlutWalk Ottawa is excited to open up space to address the injustices carried out by all aspects of our "justice" system. We invite community members to bring attention to the ways in which the police, the courts, media, and our elected officials propagate violence and fail to appropriately recognize their complicity in systems of oppression.

2:00 PM - walk to the Provincial Courts on Elgin Street and let our judges, juries, lawyers, everyone know we will want more convictions and harsher punishments for rapists and sexual predators!

After we finish our walk, we invite all participants to come mingle at the Bridgehead at 282 Elgin Street to share experiences and network.

You can find the original event, SlutWalk Toronto, here:

http://www.facebook.com/SlutWalkToronto?ref=ts

But remember, even if you can't make it,Slutwalk proudly everyday

• Like 1

This was mainly a local Toronto event, in response to a local Toronto incident. Is there any point in replicating it here, when the incident never actually happened here in Ottawa, and may not be relevant here? There were plenty of recent local Ottawa incidents that warranted protesting, that never got any mention in Toronto news, let alone any sympathy protests from Torontonians.

Guest S***dst***

@ Whiteman: Unfortunetly it is relevant in Ottawa; aswell as the rest of Canada.

@ no one imparticular:

It is in regards to rape which, unfortunetly, happens everywhere.

More to the fact I find it quite disturbing that people (in this case the court) could even fathom blaming the vicitm of a sexual assault. (which is the main reason for the protest)

"sex was in the air" "they were flirting with me a lot I couldn't control it"

Bulls*** I say... I smile at gorgeous women everyday, sometimes they smile back..does that mean I should rape them? NO

Not to bring up the past evils but could you imagine the uproar if they made the same boasts about that colonel from Trenton, "oh it's her fault he did it, she was working out to get in shape, how could he resist?"

Looking at the parallel of unwanted actions it reminds me of the movie Hard Candy

"Jeff: You were coming on to me!

Hayley: Oh, come on. That's what they always say, Jeff.

Jeff: Who?

Hayley: Who? The pedophiles! 'Oh, she was so sexy. She was asking for it.' 'She was only technically a girl, she acted like a woman.' It's just so easy to blame a kid, isn't it! Just because a girl knows how to imitate a woman, does NOT mean she's ready to do what a woman does."

(obviously a different situation but I digress)

So should we blame the children who are the victims of pedophiles for what happens to them aswell?

I remember watching a documentary on sexual diseases in (a third world country I don't remember the name) and the guy gave his wife and 23 other women aids/hiv because "god gave men strong sexual urges" and thinking..... wow.. self control is hard -.-

I don't claim to be an expert on third world countries or to understand what it's like to live in one but really Self control is not hard.

Edited by S***dst***
removed links in Hard candy quotes

The Ottawa police have the lowest rates in all of Canada for investigating sexual assault allegations.

Last summer the Carleton University administration issued a statement on the rape of a student in 2007 saying that she should have taken precautions to ensure her own safety and therefore it was not the University's fault.

Just a couple of months ago there was an incident in which the Ottawa Police called a 16-year-old girl's allegation of sexual assault a "hoax"

Everyday in Ottawa, 50 women are turned away from women's shelters.

Now, if the Slutwalk is not relevant in Ottawa, I don't know where it is relevant.

As someone who works as a sexual assault support worker, I can assure you that this event is very relevant here.

I can see how it's hard to make the connection here, but it's relevant nevertheless.

Sky

• Like 3

This issue happens in every town and city and I say go for it.

Doesn't matter whether its a cop or a regular joe who has done these things.

rape and sexual assualt should be looked upon disgrace to the assualter.

The victims go through many hardships. And should be looked upon with assistance ( not sure what other word I could use here.)

I feel for the victims.

This is the Capital of Canada, we will SlutWalk, proudly!

On a side note, it really is too bad that some don't feel the relevance in SlutWalk Ottawa. I am going to try my best to stay positive and see that side as well, and as much as this is a forum of opinions and reviews we share..Some are up for discussion and some like this one should be supported in a positive light and left at that. SlutWalk, is a serious and meaningful event for everyone. See you there

• Like 1

I'm assuming Cyberfeab was trying to bait someone.

That said, I DO hope that people attending this walk (I might as well) refrain from dressing and acting inappropriately. One of the biggest credibility-killers in activism is the propensity some people have for trying to draw attention to their cause by, as cyberfeab put it, dressing like clowns. By this I mean dressing to fit the stereotype of a sex worker.

The issue should be the focus, not someone in tight leather and a bullwhip.

I can't see how dressing provacatively could be considered dressing like clowns? A huge part of this is dealing with the idea that how a woman can dress can effect the way she "deserves" to be treated.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 2

I think that dressing provocatively or "big" is a way of getting attention and have people ask questions, get's attention and a point across. The bigger the better, stand out and have fun.

When we have gay pride "parade", tonnes of people dress up, but every gay person I know doesn't dress like this, but will have fun for prides sake

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the way someone dressed defines how they should be treated. But, there are ingrained stereotypes that people have when they think or speak of the sex industry. Dressing "big", as you put it, creates a sideshow that distracts people from the purpose of the event an makes it more about "wow, they look outlandish."

Sometimes being too brash and in-your-face takes away from the message.

Guest W***ledi*Time

... that the issue targeted by the Walk is precisely the link/pseudo-link that some people make between rape and dress. So dress will understandably be flaunted during the Walk.

Since rape is not a sex-worker-specific issue, I wouldn't think that there should be any worries about how the Slutwalkers' dress might play to sex-industry stereotypes.

Since rape is not a sex-worker-specific issue, I wouldn't think that there should be any worries about how the Slutwalkers' dress might play to sex-industry stereotypes.

all I have to say about this issue is guys get raped too.......

It was never stated that this isn't the case... all he said is that the issue is not specific to sex workers, there was no underlying gender implication.

Guys do get raped. Unfortunately a lot of issues revolving abuse are catered towards woman, probably created by a woman, one voice that has been supported. In recent years, after years of repression, woman finally do have a voice more than ever and use it. We are now considered equals were as in the past we had little rights compared to men. The abuse towards woman in the past and present outweigh the abuse towards men. When it comes to men and rape, men also need to stand up, however, statistically, males are raped and molested at a younger age and with little power, shame and shyness are unable to speak for themselves. Maybe you could start something targeted especially for guys.

For years I never supported MADD, I was against drunk driving, but I didn't think I should support a group I felt was leaving out many people that are also against drunk driving. I didn't understand. Turns out it I really like the idea of MADD, glad that someone finally stood up, and spoke and made a difference, mothers or not- a great cause.

I found some of the stuff at SlutWalk hard to hear, but I think it was totally worth going. A lot of my friends were there and I got a lot out of it.

I was glad to see so many people come out for it!

And I thought literally every single one of the speakers were great.

• Like 1