Thanks for understanding Berlin!

If I may toss out a few more:

Preacher - A graphic novel by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon.

Thoroughly enjoyed this series! The main story arc focuses on Jesse Custer, A preacher who's lost his faith embarking on a mission with his estranged love, Tulip, and his Irish Vampire buddy Cassidy to find god and bring him to account for his actions. One of the side story arcs includes a direct blood relative of christ who's portrayal made me laugh out loud!

Robert Kirkman - Amazing comic book author! His works include: Invincible, The Walking Dead (was adapted into a tv show for AMC), and Marvel, Zombies

Michael Crichton - A few favorites when I was a kid: Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Congo, The Eaters Of The Dead

Oooo have you read the series The Boys by Ennis? It's pretty excellent.

Oooo have you read the series The Boys by Ennis? It's pretty excellent.

Just looked it up on wikipedia. Dammit! Now i'm gonna have to get off my butt and go to the comic shop!

Thanks for the recco berlin!

American Gods - A Neil Gaiman book I'm almost finished reading. Recommended by a friend and it is great!

Definitely second Neil Gaiman. If you haven't already, and you want a very funny book about the apocalypse, read Good Omens, which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchet.

And on the subject of Terry Pratchet, I'd recommend him to almost anyone.

Additional Comments:

For the french readers, Putain , from Nelly Arcand, is a good read. Not sure if it is translated in English though.

Yes, it is.

The Boys is definitely worth it. And while your there, may I also suggest Supreme Power by J Michael Stracynski (a nice take on the impact superheroes could have in the "real world," using some very familiar archetypes). As far as comics go, anything by JMS and Brad Metzler will catch my eye.

I agree with the Christopher Moore recommendations wholeheartedly. He's that rare author who makes you stop and laugh out loud while your reading.

Anyone who likes Moore would love Why We Suck by Dennis Leary. Even if you disagree with his take on some stuff (and you probably will), it's still biting and relentless and laugh out funny as well.

If your into fantasy, George R.R. Martin. His books are all epic in length but they absorb you and hold onto you. Game of Thrones has been adapted into a show for HBO coming this spring. His two collections of short stories and novellas called Dreamsongs might be a good place to start if your not ready to committ to thousand page fantasy tomes.

And I gotta mention j.K. Rowling. I loved the harry Potter books (not so much the movies though). Pure story and pure fun.

If you enjoy sarcastic humour within a suspenseful plot try the Gate House by Nelson DeMille. I couldn't read this book fast enough and once I get my butt down to chapters I will be seeking out more of his novels.

Guest *D E**a

I love horror!! Check out Brian Keene, Richard Laymon, Edward Lee and Jack Ketchum :D

Jhonen Vasquez is one of my all time favorite cartoonists. Johnny the Homicidal Maniac changed my life lol and the cartoon Invader Zim is magical!

Posted via Mobile Device

I'm glad to see there are people here who've read Rand/Atlas Shrugged. While I'm no "Randian" objectivist myself, I still consider Atlas Shrugged to be one of the most important works of fiction out there, and a mandatory read. But I've been wearing a D'Anconia Copper hat for two years and nobody has said a single word about it.

And of course I consider John Galt one of my personal role models.

Anyway, books rule, and you can't take a kindle into the bathtub.

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco), which has been made into a movie.

I found that book so much easier to read after seeing the movie... without it I would have been lost. Umberto Eco is not of the faint of heart, he makes a lot of assumptions (like the fact that I know Latin!)

I found that book so much easier to read after seeing the movie... without it I would have been lost. Umberto Eco is not of the faint of heart, he makes a lot of assumptions (like the fact that I know Latin!)

Ya, he's hard work. I sometimes wonder whether he's showing off with his verbal gymnastics, or whether it just doesn't occur to him that most people simply won't have the same vocabulary as him (and also if the original Italian is as bad). I've got 'Baudolino' sitting in my to-read pile at the moment, and I keep overlooking it in favor of something easier...

Phaedrus;213375]Ya, he's hard work. I sometimes wonder whether he's showing off with his verbal gymnastics, or whether it just doesn't occur to him that most people simply won't have the same vocabulary as him (and also if the original Italian is as bad). I've got 'Baudolino' sitting in my to-read pile at the moment, and I keep overlooking it in favor of something easier...

Likewise I have had Fouccault's Pendulum in my posession for nigh on 20 years now. Just re-read the synopsis and some reviews to remind myself why I bought it. In the mean time I think I'll stick with my non fiction. John Vaillant's The Golden Spruce about the history of BC logging, native culture and a misguided protest;

and Team OF Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Her study of Lincoln's rise to the Presidency and forming a divisive cabinet and in a very divisive nation. A great read when the US is starting the 150th year remembrance of the start of the Civil War.

I'm reading The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco), which has been made into a movie.

The book is head and shoulders better than the movie which was awful IMO. And, as to Ayn Rand, it is also enjoyable to see some of her interview videos on You Tube. As to both Rand and also Milton Friedman, there's just an inescapable elegance to their logic that I find very appealing.

I will pretty much read anything I get my hands on! Once I start reading a book, I will finish it whether I am enjoying it or not. I have been know to have a couple of books on the go at the same time!

Right now, I am reading Killshot by Elmore Leonard. I am only a few pages into it but I think it may just be quite entertaining.

There I sat, reading this novel thinking that it seemed so familiar. Then I realize it was made into a movie with Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane. Let's just say that the book is waaayyyy better!

There I sat, reading this novel thinking that it seemed so familiar. Then I realize it was made into a movie with Mickey Rourke and Diane Lane. Let's just say that the book is waaayyyy better!

Elmore Leonard's books are great fun! Not all of them translate well to the silver screen, but I think Quentin Tarantino did a good job with Rum Punch/Jackie Brown.

The book is head and shoulders better than the movie which was awful IMO.

I actually enjoyed the movie... and as I said, the movie helped me through some of the more challenging sections of the book. I find that with a lot of movies though, they may not meet the level of the original writing but they do assist in the visualization of context.

The Rebus TV series done on the BBC was far inferior to the original Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus series of books but it gave me Ken Stott as Rebus and that worked... it also gave us the feel of Edinburgh.

I find the same thing with the adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series... the movies were more context, inferior to the books but aided in visualizing the more challenging sections.

I find that with a lot of movies though, they may not meet the level of the original writing but they do assist in the visualization of context.

I don't like that, and I'll go to some effort to avoid seeing a filmed version of a book that I'd like to read. I prefer to read the book first and develop my own idea of what locations and characters look and sound like. If I see someone else's vision of it first, I find I can never get past that and form my own...

i'm a big fan of crime fiction some of my favorite authors are:

MICHEAL CONNELLY

ROBERT CRAIS

JOHN LUTZ

MICHEAL SLADE

DAVID BALDACCI

the movie was great... you smell the stench of the middle ages as you're watching... but the book was better (which is always the case... but I did like the twilight movie better than the book hahaha)

Just finished Garth Stein's book "The Art of Racing in the Rain"... picked it up Friday evening, finished it late Friday Night. It's a quick read, but man oh man I could NOT put it down.

It's the story of a family as told through the voice of the family dog, Enzo. It sounds silly and simplistic BUT... it's funny, it's maddening, it's tragic and it frankly is one of the best books I have read in ages.

ARR_CanadianCostcoCover.jpg

For the sic-fi fans, i recently read "Conspiracy of the planet of the Apes", written by Andrew E. C. Gaska.

It fills in the blanks between the scenes of the original Planet of the Apes movie and focuses on other characters. Interesting read, and the'Ve had various artists provide illustrations.

51aTuhnX9hL._SS500_.jpg

I'm currently reading "Airframe", from Micheal Chriton. A good read so far.

Airframe_cover.jpg

I must confess to being a huge Sci Fi fan. One my favourite current authors is Charles Stross. Glasshouse is an amazing futuristic gender bending commentary on culture wars. His Laundry Files ... The Atrocity Archives, the Jennifer Morgue and the Fuller Memorandum are wonderful. A combination of sci Fi, the occult, and espionage! Some of his books can be pretty far out there, like Singularity Sky, but hugely entertaining.

I also love mysteries. Ian Rankin, who created Rebus, the taciturn Scottish detective, has a new series looking at police Internal Affairs in Scotland. The first two, The Complaints and The Impossible Dead, are great reads.

I've also become very fond of Scandinavian mystery writers, admittedly after reading Stieg Larson's Millenium trilogy. (enjoyed the Swedish movies, haven't seen the American). My current fav is Jo Nesbo's series of Harry Hole detective novels, about an alcolohic detective with a knack for self destruction and catching serial killers. I'm just about to start his latest, entitled Phantom.

Porthos