Well the decision came out today, I kind of suspected last week,

the other lady got the supervisor's position. I got offered the second position BOTH are management positions outside the union. The owner thinks that I need more training is some areas, because I have not work days has limited me. Damn near told him where to stuff it right there, but I held my tongue. The owner feels the the responsibilities should be split up between us. He wants to get rid of the attitude that it is us again them (union vs management). I will simply tell him that as he requested I have had time to think about things and reevaluate the situations and by promoting 2 people to a management position will furtherer the feeling of union vs management. I will have to word that very carefully. On the plus side he was considering a third candidate from outside the company but after interviewing me he declined her totally base on mostly what I had said. He sees the I have some of the skills for the job but thinks that I need more training at this time, I impressed him he said and want to reconize my contrbution and that is why he has come up with this.

Well back to school, Forklift Training, Whims, and what ever else update my resume and start to apply, and go it's time..

Thanks one and all for you advise and support thought all of this it has been a big help. Ia mscared of going job hunting. confued at what to do next, but know that it is past time.

jughead

Dear jughead,

Congratulations! I think this is an excellent opportunity to figure out where you weakness lie in a real life situation and not just on your resume. So often, people turn down positions because they didn't get the title and they miss the fact that the alternative can actually be better for them in the long run. It helps round out your experience in a very practical way and gets your feet wet. I have been passed over for a couple of positions because "it wasn't right" for some reason, and taken a different position and I always end up glad I did in the end.

I also think your boss has the right idea, the "us and them" mentality has to go in all areas. Cooperation is the only true way to advance everyones best interests. I know it sounds very Pollyanna, but I really believe that if we all could just see one another as people and respect that fact the world would be a much better place to be.

Catherine

Well jughead it may not have been what you were hoping for but it is definitely a step in the right direction and it appears that you did impress the boss so congratulations that is not an easy thing to achieve.

Cat is right about the fact that it is an opportunity to see where you could improve and apply it in the work environment.

Remember it is never over but simply the conduit to seeing other opportunities and knowing when to grab it. Believe me they will present themselves you just have to keep your eyes open and be willing to see them.

The grass is not greener, listen to the owner of the company and keep an open conduit of communication, you have started something here that will grow much better than you can imagine. Get the troops to see that at the end of the day if the company does well everyone profits, if they bring the company down than my taxes will go up again to cover all that UI. This is a great opportunity, don't piss it away to become a fork lift operator.

Once you get the concept of how the money is made and flows than you will unlock the real secret to success, if you continue trading your time for money all your time will be gone and you won't have enough money. remedial training is going to put you right back to square one, bring value to the company and you will be rewarded.

There is one condition to this, you can't make more than the owner, so if you made a little bit less than him would be enough? If not move on. This is a critical rule of business, is there actually money to be had.

I have already been doing the supervisor's job for years while someone else got the credit. To make a long story short I have been passed over 4 times now position for the same reasons and I have to train them or do the job for them.

After 17 year earn I the princely sum $8.80/hr he offer me a $0.20/hr raise to goto supervisor's support. Hum lest think about this.

My sister is the shipping/receving supervisor at a plant in West end Ottawa. $13 to start, plus benefits plus shift premium working the swing shift 11pm-7am Gee working 12am-8am now. Paid overtime available. My sister think that I should go right now they cannot find enough qualified people to work for them she thinks that I am a shoe in.

What would you do! Well sir I have made my mind up.

I'm going else where.

McDoanld, Tim Hortons, gas station, construction, factory where ever.

Unemployement was mention her that's a really good thought, I will have to try it some day.

Just remember one thing............never burn you bridges...always leave yourself with a good standing with any company you leave.

Stay there till you find something better.....give them two weeks notice when you do.

Write a simple letter to the boss at the end of your employment whan you hand in your letter of termination....

I want to thank you for allowing me to work for you and this company for "X" years.

I find it time in my life that I require more diveristy and a chance to be grow with a company and give myself a new start.

something polite...and nice...as you never know who he knows and when some one might call to get a referance......if you leave on bad terms or to go on unemplyment....it makes you look bad.......'

Take the high road

ouch that is ugly, you gotta go, I don't even think the supervisors job is worth it. If you don't see 50K a year run. If you had said 8.80 and hour to start with we could have save a few months of arm chair coaching, I feel for ya, all that time, all that lost money.

To be quite honest, I made that kind of rate of pay(8.80) 25 years ago, and it was like 25.00 an hour now a days.Sorry but to be in a position of authority at 8.80 today just does not cut it! heck your unionized personel is probably making the same..why bother....move on...my take on it....

8.80 is my current earnings, the raise to 9 even for a title for doing what I have been doing for years. The supervisor makes any ware from 1.5 to 2 more that again. It would have look good on my resume is all that is why I applied. After 17 years with all that I have done I felt that the best choice for the job was me, he felt differently is all which is his right. The next step in my career their was supervisor, now it is time to expand my experience elsewhere. I have known for a while it was time to leave, but is just the final confirmation. I don't believe in job hopping I don't think that one truly get ahead that way.

Part of me wants tell him off and walk, but I do know that type of response might just come back to haunt me later on in life.

You know this has been a good thread for me you guy's have given me a lot of good ideas and support I truly appreciate it.

Jughead......we have all been through what you have.......and sometimes more than once......

keep your head high.........do what is best for you....and not some one else.........but always remember not to do things that might haunt you in buiness later.

keep your head high.........do what is best for you....and not some one else.........but always remember not to do things that might haunt you in buiness later.

Thanks antlerman, I plan on doing just that.

I am feeling suprisingly good about this, strange I though that I would be more upset.

Just heard this morning from the new supervisor, her duties will involve job performace reviews, er hum........brain dead.....monent please.........coaching and displine on lacking duties and such.

Job ain't worth it for the money, and she even went so far 4 weeks ago by telling the ex supervisor that if she got the job that she will change thing, and if the guys don't like it they can either do there jobs or else and If they quit I will replace them. She is going head hunting, backed by the owner all the way.

Let them Fire me the severance would be nice. Mind you I am not looking to get fired that would look bad on me.

heading to the city Monday to see if i can arange some training to improve my resume.

Ask them to lay you off, you may be surprised and then you get the UI. If they are trying to clean house this would be a good time to approach them, ask natzi chick who gets to be in charge for 24K a year, she will appreciate the chance to get rid of some competition.

Update, the managmet team decided that they did not have enough people to full the schedule, so they cut all full time staff back (except for the supervisor of course) to hire more staff. This has the new supervisor written all over it, no likes her and no one want to work for her. She realizes that the job entales more than she counted on for the pay shows her inexperience. When she tried to step back, the owner would not let her, to bad so sad you wanted the job you got the job live with it.

Well after months of searching and turning down a couple sales job's (commision pay no thanks) I finally landed a job. I start in 2 weeks due to a privacy agreement i sign i cannot release any information about it. I will get a substantial raise in pay from my current pay, benifets, full time straight shift. I'll take it. Cannot wait until Monday to see the look on my supervisor face.

Boy oh Boy am I going to enjoy this!

Not sure if i will acutally work the entire 2 weeks notice i gave. I might just give a few shift away.

THANK YOU To all who offered advice it sure did help get through all this BS the company has been shovelling the last little while.

Well....glad to hear things are working out for you.

But remember...leave on a polite and good note with your present employer....never burn your bridges!!!....you never know when you might ned him as a referance

Well....glad to hear things are working out for you.

But remember...leave on a polite and good note with your present employer....never burn your bridges!!!....you never know when you might ned him as a referance

You're absolutely right antlerman, never leave anyone with a sour taste in their mouths. Congratulations jughead and good luck!

Catherine

Good for you Jughead, hope everything works for you at the new job! Sounds much better than the last one!!!!

Update, the managmet team decided that they did not have enough people to full the schedule, so they cut all full time staff back (except for the supervisor of course) to hire more staff. This has the new supervisor written all over it, no likes her and no one want to work for her. She realizes that the job entales more than she counted on for the pay shows her inexperience. When she tried to step back, the owner would not let her, to bad so sad you wanted the job you got the job live with it.

Well after months of searching and turning down a couple sales job's (commision pay no thanks) I finally landed a job. I start in 2 weeks due to a privacy agreement i sign i cannot release any information about it. I will get a substantial raise in pay from my current pay, benifets, full time straight shift. I'll take it. Cannot wait until Monday to see the look on my supervisor face.

Boy oh Boy am I going to enjoy this!

Not sure if i will acutally work the entire 2 weeks notice i gave. I might just give a few shift away.

THANK YOU To all who offered advice it sure did help get through all this BS the company has been shovelling the last little while.