Opinions on PrEP (Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis

"Pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, is a way for people who do not have HIV but who are at substantial risk of getting it to prevent HIV infection by taking a pill every day. The pill (brand name Truvada) contains two medicines (tenofovir and emtricitabine) that are used in combination with other medicines to treat HIV. When someone is exposed to HIV through sex or injection drug use, these medicines can work to keep the virus from establishing a permanent infection.

When taken consistently, PrEP has been shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection in people who are at high risk by up to 92%. PrEP is much less effective if it is not taken consistently.

PrEP is a powerful HIV prevention tool and can be combined with condoms and other prevention methods to provide even greater protection than when used alone. But people who use PrEP must commit to taking the drug every day and seeing their health care provider for follow-up every 3 months." [ Quoted from https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/risk/prep/index.html ]

Every 3 months, when I get tested (at least over the course of the past year or so) I have been asked if I wanted to start using PrEP. Being someone who needs several based opinion, experience and research as a whole, I figured this would be a good place to find people who are more familiar with this medication than I am and learn a little more. I am truly curious about trying this out myself but I would like to weigh out the pros and cons and if I feel it's something for me.

Edited by Brody Boivin

I'm not a health professional. But quite often when this kind of product is released, people tend to be more reckless as they often confuse reduced risk, with immunity. If the test data is accurate, it could certainly offer extra protection for those with higher risk of exposure. But it shouldn't be interpreted as a vaccine, cure or an excuse for unprotected sex. Not saying you would act irresponsibly, but some patrons could use this to pressure you into unsafe practices. 

If you need a second opinion, I would recommend talking to other doctors and pharmacists to see if the benefits outweigh the drawbacks/side-effects.

I can't see that it would do any harm, provided it doesn't make you complacent. An additional layer of defenses against this stuff sounds like a good thing to me.

• Like 1