Rockabilly lady

Does anybody know of a Rockabilly or Burlesque looking SP, any suggestions???

I'm confused, what have rockabilly and burlesque got to do with one another?

Rockabilly has been at the forefront of the resurgence of the New Burlesque in North America. Rockabilly embraced the true showmanship of the stage and brought with them all of the thrill of the Rockabilly movement to sensuality of Burlesque. It's difficult to find one without the other and they compliment in ways that are too numerous to mention. We have amazing troupes here in Ottawa who put on stunning shows. I will post some links later.

I agree, Cleo and Berlin both have that edge down pat and are worth meeting...

cat

:confused0024: I think I might be a little old then, because to me Rockabilly means a type of music.

:confused0024: I think I might be a little old then, because to me Rockabilly means a type of music.

That makes at least two of us.

I'm curious to check out those links, cat.

This is Ottawa's own Koston Kreme who performed at CMJ's first Mingle Mangle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoFSbBABeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toF4CaqGDMM

http://www.facebook.com/people/Koston-Kreme/100000281003440

She is a delight, but with an edge. All of these girls embrace the more dangerous elements of the sensual today.

And for Rockabilly we have the amazing Ginger St. James and the Grinders who just released SPANK, sparkle & GROWL. A great little album btw. I love it!!! Miss Ginger performed at Mavericks when they had their their Burlesque review. These shows are about performances. These artists are dedicated and professional in every way.

http://www.gingerstjames.com/

The feel is described today as a "Betty" at best from my dinosaur perspective. They have a 50's feminine feel with some spice mixed in. Expect some tattoos and piercings, but you will get stockings, push up bras, sweaters and peep toes. Girlie with a touch of pepper. What more can a man ask? Today, Burlesque and Rockabilly are a tandem team that I personally love. Again, Cleo and Berlin best fit the bill..,

cat

So it would seem whiteman and I were not at all wrong in our association of rockabilly to music. We are talking about the same thing here. Using Ginger St. James as an example, she is definitely performing rockabilly music (complete with archtop guitars and an upright bass) and her dress/hair/makeup is certainly derived from 1950's rockabilly fashion.

However, I'm still not sure I see the exact correlation of burlesque to rockabilly. From a strictly fashion perspective, they are from completely different eras. Rockabilly emerged in the 1940's and hit its peak in the 1950's. Classic American burlesque (a mainly variety show with some risqué/ribald elements) had it's heyday from the mid 19th century to the early 20th. When we talk of burlesque today, we're usually referring to the 1930's version which had evolved to become a show featuring strippers and the striptease (think Gypsy Rose Lee). Fashion and style-wise that's about 20 years before rockabilly.

I suppose there are similarities in the use of makeup. Rockabilly style is about heavy eyeliner and (especially) lipstick; while burlesque, being a stage performance art, relies on much the same to exaggerate facial features for the audience.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue with anyone's opinion or contest their suggestions. I'm just trying to understand the OP's request, which seems to imply that rockabilly and burlesque are synonymous. The ladies who replied seem to get it (cat, malika, saramq), but I still don't. I'd like to, because maybe I would be interested in SPs in that style too! :icon_smile: It would be nice to hear some feedback from bullmoose so we can determine whether the suggested ladies are what he had in mind.

And btw cat, thanks for introducing me to Miss St. James. I found a couple of her videos on youtube and quite enjoyed her music and energy.

Have they adopted Rockabilly music as the signature music of modern burlesque? Is that what it is? Original burlesque would've used a 1920's style music, which might not be too accessible to modern audiences, but rockabilly certainly would be.

Have they adopted Rockabilly music as the signature music of modern burlesque? Is that what it is? Original burlesque would've used a 1920's style music, which might not be too accessible to modern audiences, but rockabilly certainly would be.

The examples of each from cat don't support this theory. Ginger St. James is definitely not doing burlesque when she's playing rockabilly music. Koston Kreme is doing what I think of as modern burlesque, but the music accompanying her is definitely not rockabilly. It sounds like typical burlesque music to me. All boom-shacka and nightclub-like.

I like what both ladies are doing, but for completely different reasons. Just my pov.

Then I guess it's time for the two of us to stop geeking out on the true meaning of rockabilly and burlesque, and just accept it as it is. :confused0024:

Then I guess it's time for the two of us to stop geeking out on the true meaning of rockabilly and burlesque, and just accept it as it is. :confused0024:

lol. I agree professor, it's either that or put away our dry erase markers and do some field research instead.

Btw, I just found a thread discussing the meaning of GFE that could benefit from our expert analysis. Meet you over there in five. :icon_razz:

Betty Page 1950, obviously a little tamed down for 1950's tv, I suppose, but you get the picture.