This came up really randomly and I've been thinking about it for a solid hour lol, was just wondering, would it be appropriate if a client also asks screening from an SP or is it usually just a client that provides screening? just really curious how it works. Thanks

Agreed with MsManda’s response and clarification. However, on a side note, there have been thousands of instances where clients have been robbed or harmed by providers under fake aliases. Safety of both client and provider are of utmost importance and a new client may not be well versed with the screening of provider. If you are new, it is better to go first with a reputed and known provider. Do not go with unverified beautiful pics as they are mostly fake. Do your own research before you think of spending time with anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamesnicol said:

Agreed with MsManda’s response and clarification. However, on a side note, there have been thousands of instances where clients have been robbed or harmed by providers under fake aliases. Safety of both client and provider are of utmost importance and a new client may not be well versed with the screening of provider. If you are new, it is better to go first with a reputed and known provider. Do not go with unverified beautiful pics as they are mostly fake. Do your own research before you think of spending time with anyone. 

I'd add to this that in most cases, people looking to rob or scam a client will probably not go through an entire screening process before they see someone. Tactics generally involve advertising lower-than-average prices as a lure, and then telling someone to come over right away. There is little to no barrier in the way of getting you there. 

However, just because a provider doesn't screen doesn't mean they will rob you... And of course, there are always outliers, so to echo others' sentiments, due diligence should never be overlooked. 

Edited by Berlin Moss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I’d be curious to see the statistics of clients harmed by providers vs providers harmed by clients. I’d think the latter would be a far greater number. I think it’s foolish for any client to expect any provider to offer them their identification. To even broach the subject leaves me scratching my head. Whether we’re new to this or not,  we can easily find out all we need to know about providers using the internet. If you cannot find any information on a provider then see that as a red flag and move onto those who advertise and promote themselves so we can feel safe seeing them.

• Thanks 3

Clients new to the game will fumble around and make mistakes. New SPs at least have access to the SP community when they are starting out, though I know a lot don't take advantage of it. Lyla should be the ideal source of information and advice for tyro clients, but I doubt if one in ten know of it. My advice to them would be exactly what Ms Manda recommends. If the provider has an established online presence and requires screening, you can be pretty confident that what you see is what you get, but some of the scam artists are getting wise to it and actually create, or even appropriate, websites. There's risk on both sides, but the SPs are the most exposed so any and all precautions are not only justified but essential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sending a digital copy of my id to a potential SP. The SPs are not cyber security experts and the data on their devices could be leaked by a third party if the device is lost, stolen or hacked. Fortunately I know plenty of SPs (especially in Montreal and Toronto) who do not require a digital copy of ID or will accept a referral from another SP as an alternative screening method.

Edited by Baygon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree with @Baygon, in today's digital age it is not a good idea to send digital copies of ids. I have no problem verifying with physical documents but very few SPs take that seriously and those are the only ones I prefer to see. In today's age people give away their identity so easily to just about anyone (Apple. Facebook, Google, Linkedin, Telus, Bell, <insert your favourite social media site> etc.) without understanding the implications of it. May be I am just getting old, but I just don't understand this trend.

Edited by thor13
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2023 at 9:23 AM, Baygon said:

I'm not sending a digital copy of my id to a potential SP. The SPs are not cyber security experts and the data on their devices could be leaked by a third party if the device is lost, stolen or hacked. Fortunately I know plenty of SPs (especially in Montreal and Toronto) who do not require a digital copy of ID or will accept a referral from another SP as an alternative screening method.

Using references does not provide a provider with the safety they need. They may allow things to happen that I do not and vice versa. I for one will not allow my good reference to become someone's worse nightmare client or worse. Screening with real information provides us an avenue to legally go after the client that does us harm. The likelihood of you doing harm because I have your information drastically lowers vrs someone coming in anonymously. 

For the most part your ID getting stolen/hacked is the least of your concerns. Most insurances (home, auto, tenant, ECT) cover identity theft and will help you to clear up anything that were to happen. Also all your information is online anyways, via Google, apple, FB, IG and all other socials. A reputable SP isn't the issue. 

Most SPs that require IDs do so as any other business and professional services do. It is kept confidential unless there is harm done to you (the client, i.e heart attack or a slip and fall and need EMS) (this is the 2nd biggest reason why I take IDs now) or the provider. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stil won't provide an electronic copy of my id in advance as part of screening. I don't wanna be part of some Ashley-Madison kind of leak. that's my personal choice.

BTW, A professional massage therapist, even an independent one visiting other people's homes/hotels or receiving people at home, typically doesn't require to see a copy of id in advance.

Edited by Baygon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SP are at a great disadvantage when it comes to vetting clients. I am not risking my livelihood though.  

Edited by HobbyStick
  • Like 1