Fully agree. We don't often realize it until we've lost the phone.

1 - Always lock your phone with a code. It's a PITA to unlock each time you need the phone, but once you've lost it, you'll be so happy there is a code on it...

For the iPhone, it is a free/built in feature called find my iPhone, which allows you to locate your phone from any internet connection, send messages ("hey man, give me my phone back now, I know where you are!!", ring, lock and wipe the phone out remotely!

Good advice, qwerty!

I've had clients accidentally leave their cell phone behind. It's hard to contact them to say that I have it, though, since it makes no sense to call the cell itself! I do that, though, and leave a message on the voicemail, in case he can retrieve it that way.

Losing your phone is a total pain in the ass. I am lucky to never have lost mine but have dropped it in the toilet and had to try to dry it out that worked once but the last time it happened I had to buy a new one and the company to my surprise was able hook it up and transfer most of the info in my phone. That was sweet!!

I always ask at the end of an encounter " Do you have your phone, keys and wallet?" Just in case.

...but have dropped it in the toilet and had to try to dry...

It's great that you were able to save all of your data!

Anytime an electronic device gets wet, immedialy take out the battery and/or unplug it - it's actually the electricity flowing through the water that causes most of the damage and not the water itself.

Once the battery has been removed, take it apart if you can, and dry it out with a hair dryer. Then let it sit for a day or two to let any residual water evaporate.

I haven't lost one, but had a very similar situation as Lexy902.

Many years ago I was out in the woods with some scouts and dropped mine into the brook. Back then I had a Motorola that was pretty heavy and cluncky. Anyway I removed the battery and left on top of the fridge for a week. Put the battery back and it flashed up beautifully.

I think the "find my IPhone" thing only works with an iPhone 4.... The 3GS doesn't support it to my knowledge.

I have never lost mine but have dropped it into various vessels of liquid. Always killed the phone, unfortunately, and quickly!

Mine's always got a code lock on... A pain, but so worth it. There's more info in these phones than we realize.

Once the battery has been removed, take it apart if you can, and dry it out with a hair dryer. Then let it sit for a day or two to let any residual water evaporate.

No so sure about the hair dryer - you can get things quite hot like that and do further damage if you're not careful.

Best easy remedy I've found is to put it in a ziplock bag with some rice - uncooked rice is excellent at absorbing water and will dry things out pretty quickly.

No so sure about the hair dryer - you can get things quite hot like that and do further damage if you're not careful.

Best easy remedy I've found is to put it in a ziplock bag with some rice - uncooked rice is excellent at absorbing water and will dry things out pretty quickly.

As long as the hair dryer isn't held in one location too long, or too close, it'll generally be ok and will quickly evaporate the water hidden under some of the components.

Rice as you mentioned can be used as a hygroscopic (desiccant) material, but it can only absorb water that has already been evaporated.

Rubbing alcohol can also be used to flush out water hidden under components and evaporates quickly with no residue.

Rubber keypads should be removed and they and the circuit board underneath cleaned with rubbing alcohol no matter which drying method is used.