1950s & 1960's retrospectives

Movies, TV shows, Commercials - What is it about that era that wants media producers to spawn ....for lack of a better word - fond recollections of a period that not many of us generally remember..or more accurately, never happened?

I'll start off by saying that I think I understand the gimmick. Superimpose a modern North American map over a 1960s backdrop. Works for nostalgia buffs, right?

The 60s were full of pre & boomers making a political/societal statement. Eg/ Look at MadMen. Ultimately, the show devolves to sharp dressed guys with skinny ties and slicked back hair boinking the secretarial pool. Realistic?...ummmm sure.

The general untruth here is that all secretaries are sleeping their way to the top. Conversely, all execs want to boink the secretaries & divorce the wife (while holding a double martini). The couch theory may have worked in Hollywood, but it sure as hell didn't back then! Later in the 70s & 80s (the "me" era") for the general population that might have been more true.

Lately, there's a new program coming out called "Pan Am" - starring Christina Ricci. It sort of evokes the early 60s thing where flying across continents was the totally sexy & new thing to do - Think of "Coffee, Tea or Me" and "Chase Me if You Can". Frank Sinatra sings "Come fly with me" and you got the idea. Hopefully, Ricci will find better things to do. Personally, and despite the fuzzy, warm recollections, I do not wish to relive that period. Life was a lot more grittier than TV or movies portray.

Am I just being a curmudgeon?

Are you just being a curmudgeon? Well, maybe a little bit. Mad Men, after all, has great production value, and is well written. Realistic? No idea, but certainly the depiction of the life Don Draper has as a advertisement executive and that which he could have had, as a high school drop out, is already an interesting in contrast.

Pan Am: at least there will be some local flavour, Karine Vanasse, pretending to be a charming little French woman, Colette. Can't wait to see her outfitted as a Pan Am stewardess.

ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karine_Vanasse;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_(TV_series)