Firefox virus? Hyperlinked text? textsrv?

Over the past few hours I've noticed unwelcome hyperlinked text. My operator is a Mac, and I use Firefox. The hyperlinks are from http://www.textsrv.com and boot me to various internet dating websites, advertisements, etc.

It's obviously some kind of a virus that seems to be affecting my internet browser, and there isn't much in the forums on how to resolve it. This is the first time in 4 years I've ever gotten something on my Mac! Most forum posts online seem to be within the last few weeks, so I think it's new...

Does anyone know anything about it?

Guest C**rAz****e

You could give Google Chrome a try

Edited by C**rAz****e

Try deleting the file socialsay.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=213280

I tried to find it on my MAC, but it doesn't exist...

You could give Google Chrome a try

I started using Safari instead, and it seems to have fixed the problem. If it persists, I'll download google chrome for sure.

If either of you hear anything else about this browser virus, don't hesitate to post it here or message me!

Guest S*rca****sid
I tried to find it on my MAC, but it doesn't exist...

I started using Safari instead, and it seems to have fixed the problem. If it persists, I'll download google chrome for sure.

If either of you hear anything else about this browser virus, don't hesitate to post it here or message me!

It's possible you downloaded a corrupt version of Firefox or you got a virus from opening up something in the browser.

It would be best to remove firefox and install it again. I have never had a problem with Firefox and it works much faster and better than Safari.

If you haven't already, make sure you have an anti-virus app. There is one for mac and it's free called Sophos.

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx

Also, install a good app uninstaller such as appcleaner. You can get it here:

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/25276/appcleaner

If you have any mac questions don't hesitate to ask and there is an apple social group on cerb.

Nathalie:

I did some reading on this on it seems that the malware that did this to you is being created in different ways and there are reports of it affecting web browsers other than Firefox. Sometimes it is part of a Flash Application (always set flash to allow no more than 0k of local memory storage or better yet avoid it when possible), sometimes it is part of a fake tool bar or other fake extension. They all have in common the symptoms you described.

The reason I bring this up is because just not using Firefox means it is still on your computer, and it was not part of the browser itself and this would worry me. Who knows what else it is capable of? On Windows Malwarebytes apparently gets rid of it. Have yet to find a definitive Mac solution but surely it is out there. Reinstalling Firefox will not necessarily get rid of it since the uninstaller may not ride of all settings, bookmarks, extensions, plug-ins, etc.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious. Really all I am doing is encouraging you to not forget about it and research this more to make sure it gets off of your system even if you no longer see the symptoms in your web browser. Oh and I wish you good luck.