My Record Player... yay and nay!

Guest S**a*Q

K so I just got a record player from a friend, to play my records on... Yeah you heard me right, "Re-cords" :D I was super stoked to find one that had the red and white audio (left and right, I think) cables, thinking I could plug it into my tv... Nope can't do that, I need an amp I think... I suppose I need speakers as well???

Anyone have a suggestion to how I can rig this up somewhat affordable?

And don't tell me to get rid of the record player... :P I love it!!!

(Part of me just wants someone to say, I have an old amp and speakers I'm not using and would love to make your day :D YAY!!!)

*(I have The Wall on vinyl... SO stoked to listen to that...)

Also collecting records! If anyone has some to get rid of :D

I can't help you with your amp/speaker problem but if you go to urban outfitters on rideau they do have a bunch of vinyls. I didn't notice if they had any good ones as I was there to pick something else up. They may have something you like.

Posted via Mobile Device

Additional Comments:

I currently only have two alice cooper vinyls and I'm keepin' 'em! :p

Posted via Mobile Device

(Part of me just wants someone to say, I have an old amp and speakers I'm not using and would love to make your day :grin: YAY!!!)

Oh Sara, we have to talk. Records yes - you like goldie oldies? An amp, I think so, let me look in my attic. I'll be in touch, or let me know a bit more about what you would need to hook it up.

Guest S**a*Q

Omg MrNice that is awesome!!! Not sure how we can get it here... I don't know what cables I need, it has the red and white (RCA) already.

I might need speakers, ha ha... but I'm hoping I can run it through the tv for now.

As for the records, I'll take anything :D Records are awesome!!!

I lucked out and got my record player, amp and speakers for $50 at a yard sale 5 years ago. They are all ancient, but very well built and have a great sound. Yard sales are probably a good way to find speakers as well as build your collection. I love mine.

Another idea is if you have a portable stereo or boom box that has an option for "aux" with a slot for the RCA cables. Even if the input is designed for a single headphone jack (iPod or MP3 players) there are cable adaptors that could work.

Posted via Mobile Device

You should be able to connect it to most any TV that has video inputs.

Left = White

Right = Red

Video = Yellow (don't use)

You can switch the left & right, it doesn't matter to anyone but a true audiophile.

You can also connect it to your computer using the audio line-input (or mic) jack using a cable link this:

35rca.jpg

As another person who likes the sound of vinyl, I can offer a few ideas. Depending on the record player just plugging into a AUX in port of a stereo might not work, as some record players need a preamp to boost the signal. The cheapest way to enjoy your records is to buy a cheap old amp from someone who up graded their stereo to a surround sound setup. Check that the amp has a phono setting and you are set. If I was closer I would set you up with my old amp. If you don't have speakers you can just go from the headphone jack of the old amp to your TV.

If your player is newer, then it could have a preamp built in, if that is the case you can generally put it into any input (TV, computer or other stereo). If there is a preamp, there is usually a switch to turn it on or off.

Hope this helps somewhat. Happy listening.

Guest S**a*Q
You should be able to connect it to most any TV that has video inputs.

Left = White

Right = Red

Video = Yellow (don't use)

You can switch the left & right, it doesn't matter to anyone but a true audiophile.

You can also connect it to your computer using the audio line-input (or mic) jack using a cable link this:

35rca.jpg

I know that part... My tv has the RCA cable plug ins, but when I plug it in to the tv, there's hardly any sound that comes out... My logic makes me think that I need an amp of some sort. I don't think the record player amplifies the signal on it's own... I'm hoping that I can go record player to amp to tv, thus negating my need for additional speakers.

Also I think the photo that you showed is line-in to RCA female... I'd need a line-in to RCA male... I'll try that next, with the computer. :D

Ohhhhh... had I only known you years ago my dear.....

I once was the proud owner of 2000 albums and about 500 45's.... unfortunately unprotected sex caused me to divest myself of the collection... the ex said something about needing my record room for a nursery.

Had a ton of old Motown, all the Beatles on Apple.... except for one on VeeJay records... this one:

beatles%20introducing%206.jpg

Tons of other stuff.... I miss my vinyl.

I have some nice receivers and speakers too, for free, ...but looks like you're hooked up. If not let me know. I'm a bit of an audiophile, but most of us old guys are!

I know that part... My tv has the RCA cable plug ins, but when I plug it in to the tv, there's hardly any sound that comes out... My logic makes me think that I need an amp of some sort. I don't think the record player amplifies the signal on it's own... I'm hoping that I can go record player to amp to tv, thus negating my need for additional speakers.

Also I think the photo that you showed is line-in to RCA female... I'd need a line-in to RCA male... I'll try that next, with the computer. :D

Ahh, yes.

In this case you may preamp, as Ford mentioned.

[Putting on my way-back thinking hat]

It could also simply be a case of a dirty or worn needle, or a bad cartridge.

Most Record players with any quality are actually simply turntables.

The stylus (that's the bit with the pointy thing you place CAREFULLY onto the vinyl) is inserted into a cartridge at the same end of the turntable arm. The signal from this is tiny and will need boosting with a pre-amplifier which in turn will feed into usually any kind of sound system you may - or may not - have at home.

My first summer job bought me such system, quite a while ago now. There are those who maintain the quality of those old systems and the recordings they produced remain far superior to any digital offerings today.

The locals will be able to point you in th right places. This is an older technology which is coming back.

Ah, nostalgia. Gotta love the smell of vinyl!

CB

Additional Comments:

...unfortunately unprotected sex caused me to divest myself of the collection... the ex said something about needing my record room for a nursery.

Tons of other stuff.... I miss my vinyl.

Sex cost me my collection too: she threw me out and sold it!!

CB

Guest S**a*Q
Most Record players with any quality are actually simply turntables.

The stylus (that's the bit with the pointy thing you place CAREFULLY onto the vinyl) is inserted into a cartridge at the same end of the turntable arm. The signal from this is tiny and will need boosting with a pre-amplifier which in turn will feed into usually any kind of sound system you may - or may not - have at home.

The turntable... record player, whatever I have, rocks :) It has a lever that tells the arm to go to the record, so I don't screw it up!!! I may have an amp on the way, now I just have to find some speakers. Thanks for the info everyone!

A Phono pre-amp could do the trick, at least temporarily, if you want to hook up your record player on your tv (or to an amp that is not equipped with a phono input). You'd just need an extra pair of red and white cables to hook it up to your tv, or, as an alternative, getting a headphone amp (these are wonderful and don't take much place) I don't remember them costing all that much either (cant remember how much i paid for mine brand new, but it wasn't much).

Other options were well covered by other posters, and i think you're pretty much covered.

For Vinyl maintenance (i.e getting some stuff to clean your records if you get fussy), you can stop at Audio Mart, on bank street. it's the only place in town where i found the proper equipment to clean my own records :-p

http://audiomartcanada.com/default.aspx

They also sell used equipment, but it's more expensive then what is available on kijiji, but it could give you a good baseline.

Oh, also, if you are looking for more records down the line, there is a a shop on cooper at Bank (called the turning point) that sells used records (in the 10 - 20 $ range) and they have little gems. There is also one on Bank near the Royal Oak.

Edited by m*s**rt
added a shop's name

Sara --

From someone who used to work at a higher end audio store when records were popular, just be really sure that:

The records are clean ... if they have a lots of grunge on them, they will wear out quickly. Unlike CDs, records generally have a limited lifespan, especially if they are dirty.

The needle is not worn out. That can easily ruin the grooves of the record.

Sara --

From someone who used to work at a higher end audio store when records were popular, just be really sure that:

The records are clean ... if they have a lots of grunge on them, they will wear out quickly. Unlike CDs, records generally have a limited lifespan, especially if they are dirty.

The needle is not worn out. That can easily ruin the grooves of the record.

True dat... I used to run a record store when I was just a pup. We used to have soft record brushes but I bet you could use one of those microfibre cloths and a neutral solution for cleaning records... Monster has a screen cleaning kit that would work. Just remember to clean in a circular motion around the disc rather than across the grain.