You're in Ottawa? Go to the Rideau Centre, to Harry Rosen...

I don't know whether Ottawa has a Rosen outlet store, but the two in the GTA are fantastic opportunities to get great stuff at up to 80% off ... you may have to go back a few times to find what you want in your size, but you get a great deal

and, find an independent menswear store in your area ... ask advice ... they will work with you and if you are buying a few items will likely give you a decent discount

I believe in a black blazer with 3 or 4 pairs of pants - black (can make it look like a black suit) and any of - grey, kakhi, tan, brown, etc.

an other sports coat with 2 pairs of pants

and, then per the bible - dress for excellence - a dark blue suit and a dark grey pinstrip suit

if you stick to mostly white and blue shirts, then you can cut down on the number of ties ... like suits or dress shirts, cheap ties loose their shape quickly

with that, you are good to go anywhere looking great

good luck in your new role

:)

Harry Rosen is in the Rideau. The staff there are excellent and look out for you. It is not cheap but regard it as an investment. They will alter it as needed for the rest of your days.

A good suit is like putting on a feeling of affluence and influence. If its done right you won't regret it. I tried the cheap and cheerful and it doesn't work.

Le Château is for a younger frame than mine!!

CB

This is what I was going to suggest, too--no question!

I don't know how old you are, or how much you earn, but, frankly, if I went shopping with you, we'd avoid Moore's. I can spot a Moore's dress shirt 100 yards away, and not because it's good quality! They're not. Moore's suits are fine for very young men who obviously can't afford to spend a bit more and/or who are still growing (men often keep growing into their mid-20s). The reason these suits are so inexpensive is that their internal structure is poor. They look great until you wear them. Then they don't hold their shape, they sag, the shoulders crush, they look like they're hanging off-grain because, well, too often they are.

You're in Ottawa? Go to the Rideau Centre, to Harry Rosen. Be frank about your situation, but also be prepared to spend some money and some time, there. Get some help figuring out what cut and style of suit is best for you. Let them give you lots of advice--they know what they're talking about! Buy a suit, two sports jackets, three pairs of trousers, two dress shirts for the suit, three or four more for the sports jackets and trousers.

Go for top-quality shirts, above all else. If you'll be wearing the sports jackets often, buy the best you can possibly afford. You won't be sorry!

When you find the suit you like, buy an extra pair of trousers. That can make the suit wear longer--jackets tend to last longer than trousers do.

Find out when Harry Rosen's sales events are. They have really deep discounts a couple of times a year. You may be able to get a custom-tailored suit for the price of a good off-the-rack suit.

The initial wardrobe cost may be a bit high, but over the long run, you'll pay less for good quality, every time.

Congratulations on the promotion!

Well, I do like HR, and all my work wardrobe is from there, since I got a 'real job' that is...Mind you, I never buy the Armani or Ferragamo suits. I go for JP Tilford or Boss, and the JP Tilford stuff looks as good as 10 years ago... Coppley is probable their least-expensive brand (but the difference is noticeable), and they may still have Arnold Brant...

But kitting yourself as proposed here will require a minimum of $2,500, but likely more like $3,500...which is a rather steep entry price... Getting the overcoat (Fall and Winter) to match the kit at HR would set you back another $1,400...

Nice thing about HR is the white shirt sale in early December (did I get that right?), where decent quality shirts can be had for $60 or so. End of season sales are the time to go, really...

Some of the shops on Sparks will carry Samuelshon like HR, and so does Holt Renfrew at 240 Sparks (between Bank and Kent).

As for the other suggestion to go for the blue pinstripe suit? I don't want to be too negative, but I go... meh! Sadly (or not), the classic navy blue stuff is the safest choice, bland, but safe, and when has few suits in one's wardrobe, a must...

All confused? I would be.

Congrats again on the promotion...

Thanks for the tips everyone! I now have options! I asked the same question on facebook and 2 or 3 people replied lol. Gotta love cerb. :)

Posted via Mobile Device

Four things to keep in mind when you're trying to get good value when purchasing business wear.

Get good classic product that will not go out of style in a year or two.

Invest in good material and construction which will the hold up to years of wear.

A better men's wear store will not only do the standard alterations (leg and sleeve length) but also free alterations on the shoulders, neck, chest, back and seat so that the suit is comfortable and also doesn't have any distracting folds and ripples. Since everyone is asymmetrical in their build good alterations will get you a custom fit without made to measure costs.

Only buy shirts, ties, shoes etc if they "go with" the suits and jackets you

purchase and can be mixed and matched. Avoid impulse purchases of items

that may look really good, but they either don't go with anything you have or

only go with one suit.

A few other things to keep in mind. A store like Harry Rosen doesn't have a lot of staff turnover. The same staff will be there when you go back and they'll get a feel for what you like. Does that sound like another business we know :-) They always have the basics to build a good business wardrobe and they keep all your purchases on file, so anyone can come in and buy you a gift that will go with what you already have.

Congratulations and good luck in your new job!

Guest Hoot *****

Congrats on the promotion. The key to looking good in any suit is fit...it should be perfect and if it's not so off the rack then alterations are needed. Make sure the colour is compatible with your complexion. Good quality shirts can be pricey and they are worth it; as well they should go with the suit in good taste as should the tie. Lastly and not to be overlooked are one's shoes as a pair of unclean, unpolished shoes will wreck the whole outfit. You can do very well at The Bay as they have some decent suits on sale usually. I've had very good luck with suits from Tip Top Tailors as they carry brands that allow for the separate purchase of the jacket and pants...nice if you aren't a regular size type of person like me as I'm bigger in the chest/shoulders than in the waist. You've received some good information above in order to be a "Sharp Dressed Man."

Hey Great Work on the Promotion! But let's be real, this isn't a time to be talking about suits or clothes at all.. GET NAKED AND CELEBRATE!!! Cheers to you and your new position!

Congrats on your promotion!

A little tongue in cheek & totally unhelpful:

Remember, nothing screams "Beat Me" more than a loud tie & shiny suit.

Better yet, get a wildly lurid tie & have a suit made from the same fabric. I'm sure there are some taylors in 3rd world countries who could help you there (maybe something with horizontal stripes).

Request a bullseye centred in the back - gotta find a place for the knives.

:icon_biggrin:

J.

Moores has a sale on 2 for 1, can't go wrong with their selection. Just bought a couple,along with jeans, the only thing not 2 for 1 is the shoes in the store. Little late on this thread but if anyone else is looking.

You may go for a chain like Moores to expand your kit this week, but do it minimally. Thinking long term, nothing beats quality, so I suggest you really do consider going for better quality stuff: Five-ten years later, it will still look good, but the inexpensive kit won't and can be made of rather coarse fabric...

A nice sport jacket can be combined with different colour trousers, shirts, ties, sweater, etc. to create many looks. Come the evening, with jeans and all, a different look...

The key, at better stores, is to be on the lookout for sales...They do discount heavily, and average size guys (40-44) can find nifty stuff for cheap(er)...

Sparks street has a few nice shops between Elgin and Bank...

Congrats on joining the ranks of the suit-guys!

Well I didn't end up buying anything. I wore my fall-back suit for the first day to test the waters and turns out mostly everyone was dressed casually. So...casual it is lol. But I thank you all sincerely for your suggestions and will keep this thread in mind. I figure I'll need a new suit eventually anyway right? :p

Posted via Mobile Device

Well I didn't end up buying anything. I wore my fall-back suit for the first day to test the waters and turns out mostly everyone was dressed casually. So...casual it is lol. But I thank you all sincerely for your suggestions and will keep this thread in mind. I figure I'll need a new suit eventually anyway right? :p

Posted via Mobile Device

That was a smart thing to do. But, you know you should have a back-up suit for the fallback suit, so that if you do have to dress up more often (like say twice in one week), that you're not whispered about as the dude with the one suit.

Women may notice, but do guys remember what other guys wear?