1. 1. Cinematic Geekfest Of 2012

• Marvel's The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises
    • Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance
    • G.I: Joe: Retaliation
    • The Amazing Spiderman
    • Men In Black 3
    • The Expendables 2

Waaaaaaayyy too much seriousness on here lately, so thought I'd try and lighten the tone a bit..

It just occurred to me that there seems to be a lot of Geek oriented movies coming out in 2012....Curious to hear which ones most have your bottle thick glasses, colorful suspenders and pocket protectors all a tingle :p

is probably one of the more highly anticipated ones considering they've been building to this for the last several years with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and The Incredible Hulk (my fave :) )

Then there's

, the (supposed) conclusion to Christopher Nolan's Batman series, I loved Batman Begins but wasn't really doing back flips over The Dark Knight. It was OK but I just didn't see what all the hype was about, but this one however looks pretty interesting, I'm particularly interested in seeing how Catwoman turns out! ;)

, which looks to be a reboot/sequel to the movie a few years ago. Still with Nicholas Cage, a lot of people put him down but I actually don't mind Cage too much. This movie looks to be a lot darker than the first one a few years back (Thank god!)....but not too dark. Directed by the same guys who did the Crank movies and Gamer, it looks to have a lot more energy than the last movie, and a lot better, more intense action! It looks like just plain mindless fun if you ask me, one of those "turn your brain off for a couple of hours" kind of movies.

, Honestly I haven't even seen the first G.I: Joe movie but I didn't hear good things, but this has me interested if for no other reason than Bruce Willis is in it. Bruce is da' Man! :D

The Amazing Spiderman is a reboot of that series (I know, I know....remaking it already??), but I will admit it has me kind of interested....it looks to have a VERY different tone from the other Spiderman movies,

, I dug the first one, really wasn't crazy about the second one, and this one looks like a solid "Meh", but I dig Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones and Josh Brolin, so I'll probably check it out,

Lastly,

, it's not comic book, game, or toy based....but considering how many old time action movie superheroes are in this I think it qualifies as geeky..... Sly Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris (yes....Chuck Norris...insert obligatory Chuck Norris joke here), Jason Statham, Dolph Lundgren and Jet Li....all under one roof? Fuck yeah you better believe I'm there!

Check out the attached links to the trailers and let us know which ones strike your fancy. I already know The Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises will be the front runners in the box office, but as I tend to route for the underdogs I think I'm most looking forward to Ghost Rider and The Expendables.

So which ones are you looking forward to the most? If there's any geeky movies I'm forgetting about please speak up!

It just occurred to me that there seems to be a lot of Geek oriented movies coming out in 2012....

I can only conclude that if you're thinking that far ahead, you're way more organized than I am :)

I can only conclude that if you're thinking that far ahead, you're way more organized than I am :)

Not organized at all actually lol. Just a movie fanatic :p......(actually my movies are alphabetized so maybe I am organized....or anal....or both lol)

The expendables 2!!!!!! I am so excited for it, I have the biggest crush ever on Jet Li. Seriously i could watch him do dishes and still be obsessed.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Like 1

I am not looking forward to next year's crop of movies, with the exception of some big movies like The Dark Knight Rises and MiB3, and I'm sure there will be plenty of indie flicks I end up loving as well. Also, Hobbit Part 1 comes out in December, but there isn't a trailer for that yet.

Well the Avengers is definitely on my list as most anything involving Joss Whedon is okay by me.

I have enjoyed the Batman ones lately so there I go again.

Other then these two I wil just play a wait and see game as the previous versions did not do much for me.

Honestly, I can't pick one lol, I'll see em all!

Same here! A couple I may wait to see on dvd rather than pay the full price. But I fully intend to see them all :D

Posted via Mobile Device

The top three movies I'm looking forward to in 2012 are

1. Prometheus

2. Django Unchained

3. Cogan's Trade.

I'm not a big superhero movie guy. But I've really liked these new Batman movies and look forward to the third and final one in this series.

Expendables is more my speed. I like those macho action guys more than superhero types. I enjoyed the first one and I know they've got a stronger director and better budget for this one, so I'm looking forward to it.

As for G.I. Joe, I thought the first one was fairly amusing in a really silly cartoonish way and the sequel cut out Damon Wayans and brought in Bruce Willis and Dwayne The Rock, so that's a big improvement right there. I'll probably check it out. It'll probably be fun.

Looks like everyone's jumping on the Batman Bandwagon again ...*sigh* :p

I know they've got a stronger director and better budget for this one, so I'm looking forward to it.

And I'll have to respectfully disagree with this comment. A stronger director? The choice to go with a different director for this one is about the only thing that has me worried about Expendables 2. Stallone's a great director IMO. I think he's always very underestimated and always stuck with this "dumb brute" kind of image but he's actually very intelligent and a great filmmaker. And under the right direction, which is usually his own, he can actually be a pretty good actor and deliver some strong performances. In fact his last 3 movies have been among his best to date IMO, and he directed them, I don't think that's a coincidence. At least he still wrote the screenplay for this one....so there's hope lol. When he doesn't direct and doesn't have total control you get stuff like Judge Dredd and Rocky 5.

I guess I can kinda see why he chose not to direct this one though, the man almost killed himself directing the first one. I saw this documentary, Inferno, which was about the making of The Expendables, it's insane how much shit he went through making that movie. He was hospitalized more than a few times from doing his own stunts and getting hurt. I can see the kind of pressure that ads being in the hospital when you're the director. It puts a hold on everything.

As for Simon West (the new director)....I dunno....I don't really consider Con-Air or Tomb Raider cinematic masterpieces...but that's me ;)

I don't have any big problems with Stallone's directing. I've enjoyed a lot of the movies he's directed himself. He's perfectly competant. And I agree that taking a hands-on approach has saved his career. He knows how audiences want to see him and if Hollywood won't produce that material, he'll write it himself. And it's worked out great.

And I do consider Con Air to be a masterpiece of ridiculousness. I definately liked it better than the first Expendables, which I also verymuch enjoyed.

In my opinion the action in Con Air was better shot, the humour popped better, and West wrangled the bigger and more mismatched cast together better. I also thought West's remake of The Mechanic had well paced action sequences and good character work, for a silly hitman movie that is. So, I think West probably has better skills, but hasn't really connected with much good material over his career. I think Expendables 2 will probably flow a bit better and the cast will gel more under West's direction. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not really excited about any of those movies! I find I am always a little disappointed when it comes to big budget action blockbusters such as these. The Expendables was kinda fun (they reeled me in by having Arnie and Dolph in the same film!) but a sequel? I will pass.

And I'm with you castle as far as the Christopher Nolan Batman's go. TERRIBLE. For me, Michael Keaton is always Batman and Batman Returns is the best Batman EVER.

Laugh at me if you will, but the movie I'm looking forward to watching in 2012 is The Hunger Games. It's based off the teen series of the same name and it's got a very Battle Royale feel to it (12 Districts send two tributes [boy and a girl] to the Capitol to do battle against the other tributes to the death). It's got the same actress that was in Winter's Bone (if you haven't seen it, RENT IT ASAP).

One that I'm really not looking forward to in 2012? The remake of Total Recall with Colin Farrell. That sounds like a disaster and a half. Plus, all the nostalgia and love I have for the original (there is a baby photo of me that my Dad swears looks like Kuato) I feel will be ruined with this shitty remake. NO MORE REMAKES HOLLYWOOD. And especially, please stop remaking perfectly good foreign films because people don't want to read subtitles. SERIOUSLY. Just stop.

To end, a photo of Kuato, in case you forgot!

total-recall-movie-image-kuato.jpg

I'm not really excited about any of those movies! I find I am always a little disappointed when it comes to big budget action blockbusters such as these. The Expendables was kinda fun (they reeled me in by having Arnie and Dolph in the same film!) but a sequel? I will pass.

And I'm with you castle as far as the Christopher Nolan Batman's go. TERRIBLE. For me, Michael Keaton is always Batman and Batman Returns is the best Batman EVER.

Laugh at me if you will, but the movie I'm looking forward to watching in 2012 is The Hunger Games. It's based off the teen series of the same name and it's got a very Battle Royale feel to it (12 Districts send two tributes [boy and a girl] to the Capitol to do battle against the other tributes to the death). It's got the same actress that was in Winter's Bone (if you haven't seen it, RENT IT ASAP).

One that I'm really not looking forward to in 2012? The remake of Total Recall with Colin Farrell. That sounds like a disaster and a half. Plus, all the nostalgia and love I have for the original (there is a baby photo of me that my Dad swears looks like Kuato) I feel will be ruined with this shitty remake. NO MORE REMAKES HOLLYWOOD. And especially, please stop remaking perfectly good foreign films because people don't want to read subtitles. SERIOUSLY. Just stop.

To end, a photo of Kuato, in case you forgot!

total-recall-movie-image-kuato.jpg

Yeesh!! I'm sure you were much cuter than that in whatever photo your Dad's talking about! ;)

But they promise that Arnie and Bruce will have a more extensive roles in this one! Not just cameos! And Dolph's back too...I'm totally psyched :p

And yes, I TOTALLY agree with you about the Tim Burton Batman movies. Heath Ledger's Joker totally wasn't clown-ish enough, The Batmobile in the new movies doesn't look at all Bat-ish....it just looks like a tank....and the new Catwoman for this new movie doesn't look cat like at all. Plus the Tim Burton Batman movies were just plain fun and still took themselves seriously....but not too seriously. Not to mention Christopher Walken....pretty much any movie featuring Christopher Walken is a win in my books.

• Like 1

Yeesh!! I'm sure you were much cuter than that in whatever photo your Dad's talking about! ;)

But they promise that Arnie and Bruce will have a more extensive roles in this one! Not just cameos! And Dolph's back too...I'm totally psyched :p

And yes, I TOTALLY agree with you about the Tim Burton Batman movies. Heath Ledger's Joker totally wasn't clown-ish enough, The Batmobile in the new movies doesn't look at all Bat-ish....it just looks like a tank....and the new Catwoman for this new movie doesn't look cat like at all. Plus the Tim Burton Batman movies were just plain fun and still took themselves seriously....but not too seriously. Not to mention Christopher Walken....pretty much any movie featuring Christopher Walken is a win in my books.

That was my big issue with Nolan's Batman--The Joker. Don't get me wrong, Heath Ledger did a great job, but for me, The Joker is supposed to insane, but hilariously so. Less-psycho, more clown! Also, part of me feels like if Ledger hadn't kicked the bucket so soon after, people might have been more inclined to criticize his role. But he's dead now, so people would rather go on and on about how amazing he was.

That was my big issue with Nolan's Batman--The Joker. Don't get me wrong, Heath Ledger did a great job, but for me, The Joker is supposed to insane, but hilariously so. Less-psycho, more clown! Also, part of me feels like if Ledger hadn't kicked the bucket so soon after, people might have been more inclined to criticize his role. But he's dead now, so people would rather go on and on about how amazing he was.

That's exactly what I've been saying to anyone who goes on and on about that movie!

It's the whole Brandon Lee thing all over again. I love The Crow as a movie....but it's a pretty poor adaptation of the graphic novel which is SO much better than the movie IMO....but of course everyone criticizes the idea of doing a proper adaptation of it because of the whole Brandon Lee thing......he was great in that movie....but no better than any other number of actors could have been. Or still could be. Him dying while making the movie doesn't change that.

That's exactly what I've been saying to anyone who goes on and on about that movie!

It's the whole Brandon Lee thing all over again. I love The Crow as a movie....but it's a pretty poor adaptation of the graphic novel which is SO much better than the movie IMO....but of course everyone criticizes the idea of doing a proper adaptation of it because of the whole Brandon Lee thing......he was great in that movie....but no better than any other number of actors could have been. Or still could be. Him dying while making the movie doesn't change that.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. PS. I still haven't watched the Crow. And now that I know it started as a graphic novel, I'd rather go read the novel! Also, this gives me an idea to start a thread about graphic novels. mwahahaha.

The top three movies I'm looking forward to in 2012 are

1. Prometheus

On the topic of Prometheus....does anyone else think this is the prequel to Alien that Ridley Scott has been talking about doing for a while now? It sure as hell looks like it....just saw the trailer and I gotta say a lot of the imagery looks reaaaaaally familiar!

Prometheus started out as an Alien prequel with Noomi Rapace signed on to play some sort of neo-Ripleyesque character. Then Avatar made all sorts of money and Ridley Scott got more competitive and realized prequels are kinda lame, so they came up with an original idea for a movie but kept the same lead actress and decided to keep it set in the same world as the Alien films, but the alien/xenomorph will not appear in this film.

No I didn't think they would. But I can tell that this planet's supposed to be the same one where Ripley's crew picks up the alien in the first film. I have a feeling this crew will be the source of the distress call that the Nostromo picks up.

Charlie Sheen as the Joker??? Just throwing it out there.

I always thought Crispin Glover would have made an awesome joker. When they were in the early stages of casting The Dark Knight he was one of the actors considered....or so I heard. I was disappointed they didn't pick him.