French slang thread

Thank you, Malika -- that helps a bunch!

Hmmm.. maybe more "That you're no longer in a coma."

So I see! But there is no specific translation for it? In a book I read previously, one character said "ma crisse !" and google translator interpreted it as "my f*cking!"

Again, thanks -- this will make things a bit easier.

Merry Christmas!

No there is no specific translation for it...ma crisse, would be like saying fucking bitch to someone

j'men crisse...pretty much I don't give a fuck

It's really versatile

Hi,

Just a quick correction that I noticed.

Chus, in the context described was indeed "Je ne suis pas", but only because it was followed by the "pas".

Alone Chus just means "Je suis" aka "I am".

And yes, crisse can be interpreted as fuck. It's one of those words that can be used in many different ways, all you need to know is that it's a swear word (unless you're talking to a priest about religious things, then he may actually be using it in it's original context ;)).

So there, hardly worth mentioning, but I figured it was important to point out that Chus doesn't automatically include a negation!

• Like 1

Your book writen in Joual can be a bit of a tough read if you don't have an ear for the language. It reminds me of when I read "lady chatterley's lover" and I had trouble with some of the vernacular. Like Joual it was written the way it is pronounced which makes it much eaisier for people who have heard it before.

You might be able to find a Joual dictionary on line or perhaps you might try finding a hard copy in a french Library. If you are close to Ottawa trhe best one is Library du Soleil on The Market.

http://www.librarything.com/venue/43746/Librarie-du-Soleil

Perhaps if you give them a call they could help you find one if it exists.

If not keep posting your questions, people are giving you the right answers and it makes it a fun game for the ones who are bilingual.

Enjoy your book.

Thanks to all the help here, I'm finding it much easier to read the dialogue with the character who speaks thick juoal.

But now I have a new problem. There's a word I encountered -- not in dialogue, so I doubt it's slang: "bardasse." It's not in any dictionary I own, including my Dictionnaire Larousse.

As in: "Elle bouscule et bardasse tout ce qu'elle touche."

Thanks in advance!

Whoops! You're right. I should have googled first!!

Thanks!

(and it is a very good book -- maybe not one I would have selected myself, but I'm very much enjoying it)

Hi Chistine,

Cool..keep 'em coming whenever you get stuck.

"Elle bouscule et bardasse tout ce qu'elle touche."

As a similar statement or expression in english would, it could be taken literally or figuratively...as i'm certain the meaning of which you've drawn from the text.

"She (knocks over/shoves/rough's up) and (mixes up/tosses about/f**k's up) all that she touches."

She could be all thumbs and trips on two left feet, or be a troublesome busybody ?

R.

Many thanks to all who helped me get through this excellent book, "Revenir de loin" by Marie Laberge. I just finished it and, despite the trouble I had with the juoal, it was very well written and conceived. I'd recommend it to anyone! It's the story of a woman who awakens from a coma with no memory of her personal life. In the hospital, she meets a young tough who is facing life as a double amputée. Together they find a way from their broken selves, not back to the lives they lived before their accidents, but forward to new and more satisfying lives. In particular, she must go back and remember some extremely painful things to make sense of the choices that led her to be living a life she didn't like much just prior to the accident. In finding her way along, she finds the healing that she hadn't done in the past and is finally free to go forward. And she helps her young tough guy too.

I think juoal is like a big dog -- once you stop being afraid of it, it stops being menacing.

I will note though that it wasn't until the very last pages of the book that some dialogue between two of the characters tipped me off to something huge that had evaded me until then: "y" is apparently he, and "a" is apparently she. Doh!

Again, thanks to all those who helped me here and privately.

Here's a Quebecois french lesson from one of my favorite movies :p

The subtitles are not literal translations at all but that's the gist of what he's saying.

I knew right away what this youtube excerpt would be. Swearing 101 indeed! C'est beau Luc, bel exemple!

Here's a Quebecois french lesson from one of my favorite movies :p
The subtitles are not literal translations at all but that's the gist of what he's saying.

They speak so rapidly!! But even still, in this clip, they're speaking way slower than my next door neighbours. When I listen to them, it's like they're firing AK-47s at each other!