More bad PR for the industry in Ottawa

I was wondering if there were any connections, it did happen at the Radison after all. Of course I could be adding fuel to a fire that should be left to burn out on it's own.

I dunno. I'm not so sure it should just be left to burn out -- at least not here, among us. Recently we heard of a case in which a hobbyist was duped out of a considerable sum of money by an SP, and it sparked a call for fundraising to compensate the poor dear -- even though he was a willing participant in the fraud.

And yet in a case like this -- where innocent third parties are injured because of the ignorance and maliciousness of one of our own -- we are too stingy to even condemn it publicly. What does that say about us?

I'm sorry, but I've seen this technique before. It's a common ploy of streetwalkers and those who've jumped up to outcall service from streetwalking usually. The customer pisses you off, so you set the hotel on fire. (It usually involves spraying down the door with hair spray and lighting it up.) No regard for the hundreds of completely innocent people -- men, women and children -- who are being put at risk.

If the customer did hit her (and I say "if" because, sadly, there've been too many cases where that sort of thing was fabricated as a justification after the fact), then she had all sorts of options that wouldn't have put any one else at risk. She could have called the police -- I understand that Ottawa police now have some sort of unit or something dedicated to following up on crimes against prostitutes. She could have contacted hotel security. She could have put him on a bad date list. But to set fire to a hotel and put other innocent people at risk is just SICK. I hope they take her off the streets and lock her up for a very, very long time -- because she's a danger to every around her.

There simply is no justification for what this woman did.

And there's no justification for our keeping silent on it. We actually enjoy a very high degree of tolerance and acceptance, by historical standards. Perhaps we sometimes fail to appreciate just how good we have it with respect to having the freedom to pursue our interests. But we have responsibilities too -- and we should be the first to be outraged by this.

I know I am.

..c..

I did not read between the lines on this? I thought she had a fight with another girl and set the place on fire? I did not think it was related at all, if indeed it was. In any event the girl is clearly disturbed and needs professional help probably from an institution at the least. I am glad that the paper did not pick it up from this angle jc and make it about the trade.

?? The article I read said something about a man hitting her in the face.

Actually, the article I quoted did pick up on this, and I imagine we haven't heard the last of it.

..c..

This might make things tougher for girls that travel or tour around, especially when staying in a hotel or from doing incalls from one while on tour. Single women checking in to a hotel might be stereo-typed and closely looked or watched even more while staying in a hotel in Ottawa or else where for that matter.

OK I re-read the article, this is different than the one that I read in the paper? In the paper they talked about the victims of the fire and no mention of the lady ti must have been the report on the actual blaze that I read. The guy punched her at the elevator? I think it was related to excessive new years eve partying not SP's. But the flyer for massage is a strange thing to add to the article? I guess I need to read between the lines not to mention the lines more carefully. I still don't really get the full implications? other than this is one sick chick who needs psychiatric help.

As I noted earlier, when I first heard about the incident on the news, it struck a chord with me because I've heard of it happening before and I've heard some SPs talk of such a thing.

I didn't want to say anything at first, hoping the media wouldn't make the connection -- but obviously they have. I don't think they would have pursued this early lead if there weren't more to it. I think there will be more to come.

Amber, having been in the business for more than 30 years, I have long believed that hotels completely understand and accept as a reality of their business that their guests invite SPs to visit them on the premises and that SPs take rooms when traveling. If anything, I think they are among the few that don't paint us all with one broad brush, and who realize that there are decent, respectful, responsible SPs, and there are others who aren't. It's always been my experience that if we conduct ourselves responsibly and discreetly, the hotels are only too happy to accommodate us. I've always been treated very well by hotels across Canada and the US. It's horrible that this happened at the Radisson, but I don't think they'll hold it against us all -- I hope they realize that we are as outraged as anyone else by this person's behaviour.

Although what she did is sick in the way that any violent crime is sick, I don't view her as some poor invalid in need of treatment -- I view her as someone whose choices render her a danger to public safety. She hurt innocent people, put many more at risk, and damaged property over a situation that could and should have been dealt with through civilized means. And I think that most of us involved in the sex industry would be the very first to say that what she did was totally unacceptable.

..c..

Although what she did is sick in the way that any violent crime is sick, I don't view her as some poor invalid in need of treatment -- I view her as someone whose choices render her a danger to public safety. She hurt innocent people, put many more at risk, and damaged property over a situation that could and should have been dealt with through civilized means. And I think that most of us involved in the sex industry would be the very first to say that what she did was totally unacceptable.

..c..

Don't get me wrong on this I am not some bleeding heart that thinks she is a poor hard done by and should be let of on a weekly visit to a shrink, the help she needs is in prison, they do have some well qualified psychologists working in the system.