unimpressed in Ottawa

it has recently come to my attention that some one out there is hobbying on my name, not my Cerb ID my real name. This is not a just a case of someone accidently using my name (my last name brown very common ) they are using specific details that are unique to my past, where and what i went to school for, my current from of employment, my last from of employment, even so far as past injuries that i've suffered and what i'm currently studing in school now. Clearly i know this person.

The SP that informed me of this didn't want to give me a visual description which was understandable cause i got very angry when she told me. it makes me very angry that someone is out there pretending to be me, also this person doesn't prefrom as well as i do.

I don't know what to do i got someone out there telling crappy versions of my stories and taking more then they give not my style, so if you have advice for me i would be greatful

Guest i***k***

That's pretty stupid... don't know what they think to gain. I'd press her for enough information to validate her story if she won't give you further details then I'd have a hard time believing it unless it was confirmed by another source. The pool of potential candidates must be pretty small so you should be able to figure it out eventually.

Well that is not cool at all. However without knowing who it is who's telling the stories as if they were you. Only thing i can think to help you out is spell your name differently or come up with an alias when talking to SPs like a middle name so they don't get confused or compare you to this less sexual talented person.

As well id take it as a compliment apparently someone wants to be you.:grin:

I'm not surprised..... humanity is totally out of control..... I see in the future when we will need to take digital pics of our junk and paste it to our foreheads before visiting an SP..... something like a sin or OHIP ID.

rub

It sounds like you are doing your best to keep a sense of humor and your head on straight good for you as this is a tough situation. I know I'd hate to have someone making a muck up of my stories. ;)

If you haven't already done a risk assessment you should. Who are they giving this information to and what do you have to lose? What are the short term risks and what are the long term ones? How widespread is the issue? Map everything out including the people, places and things involved and put it all down in hardcopy. Sometimes seeing it in black and white and going back to it over a period of days will open your eyes to things that you would have missed just playing it over in your head. If you have a friend that you can trust (and that might be hard right now) ask them to help you finish it or you can ask others without letting them know what you are doing by asking for 'project help'. Say you are working on your annual review and need to know who is next in line for your position, who would move up, laterally, etc. outside input is always good to have.

Keep looking at it and see if it helps you not only figure who is doing this but more so find out why someone is attacking you, which is what is happening. Someone in your close circle is whether they knowingly or not (sometimes those that are passive aggressive act out subconciously - under the guise of a joke, yet it's apparent to everyone else the consequences of that joke were meant to harm) is going to cause you serious harm should this continue.

I'd also start contacting the agencies, MP's or indies you frequent and team up with them. This is where being a repeat client has it's advantages, if you only see someone once you might not have this option and I'm not sure what to suggest but it still might not hurt to try contacting the reputable agencies as they are generally a good place to start. Explain to them you have been the victim of identity theft and that though you often frequent their establishments yourself you'd appreciate if anyone using your name and information be verified, meaning the person is not allowed onto the premises without a callback to the number given. Leave them your name and telephone number and ask them to keep it 'on file'. Then if someone calls and leaves your name and either your number the guy will not be allowed in should he show up as he will not verify (his telephone won't verify - he'll be using your number) or his number will verify as he'll be using his own number which you will have already requested they contact you with. Be prepared to show them ID - do so, trust them as you'd not want them to hand out your information to just anyone, but this way they will probably give you his number so you can call him and find out who it is.

Not all places will go along with it but one or two will probably lend a sympathetic ear and I suspect one or two independants will probably do it for some $$. The professional places will not do it for the $, a hundred dollars isn't worth their reputation so I wouldn't bother asking, they will do it for a repeat client though.

Of course the other option is going to the police, it is identity theft and there is no telling what the persons intentions are right now. Sometimes it's best to have a report on file before something happens that way should it come to the attention of your employer, your SO, etc. you have already started the legal process. However... I'm assuming you already know there are downsides to going that route.

Good luck and I hope you find the person.

I'd also start contacting the agencies, MP's or indies you frequent and team up with them. This is where being a repeat client has it's advantages, if you only see someone once you might not have this option and I'm not sure what to suggest but it still might not hurt to try contacting the reputable agencies as they are generally a good place to start. Explain to them you have been the victim of identity theft and that though you often frequent their establishments yourself you'd appreciate if anyone using your name and information be verified, meaning the person is not allowed onto the premises without a callback to the number given. Leave them your name and telephone number and ask them to keep it 'on file'. Then if someone calls and leaves your name and either your number the guy will not be allowed in should he show up as he will not verify (his telephone won't verify - he'll be using your number) or his number will verify as he'll be using his own number which you will have already requested they contact you with.

This is where CMJ's membership "password" comes in very handy!

e

PS. You're up early Ms K? Roomies being demanding? I missed you in TO - it was not the same without my Ms K fix.

PS. You're up early Ms K? Roomies being demanding? I missed you in TO - it was not the same without my Ms K fix.

sleep has been infrequent all week, appears to be a stress reaction. Some guy was in town and chose to spend his nights with other men drinking and carousing (though he claims it was work!) rather than in bed with me... :-(. Not sure I'll recover from the trauma, I wake each night in a cold sweat.

Fortunately the roomies are there to comfort me, they give me toe lickings and little snuggles until I am settled.

Okay back to our original thread again, I cannot bear to talk about this trauma anymore. ;-)

sleep has been infrequent all week, appears to be a stress reaction. Some guy was in town and chose to spend his nights with other men drinking and carousing (though he claims it was work!) rather than in bed with me... :-(. Not sure I'll recover from the trauma, I wake each night in a cold sweat.

Fortunately the roomies are there to comfort me, they give me toe lickings and little snuggles until I am settled.

Some guy couldn't sleep all isolated in a king sized bed. I think I need roomies to lick my toes.

Okay back to our original thread again, I cannot bear to talk about this trauma anymore. ;-)

It would be nice to have some sort of distinguishing feature so that one cannot have ID-hijacking occur. I like CMJ's password because it's not associated with any privacy issues. But in the OP's case, the scammer got in first.

I get very angry when gentlemen like the OP get scammed like this. I thought there was honour among the brother- and sisterhood, as mentioned above.

e - this is post 200!

It would be nice to have some sort of distinguishing feature so that one cannot have ID-hijacking occur. I like CMJ's password because it's not associated with any privacy issues. But in the OP's case, the scammer got in first.

I get very angry when gentlemen like the OP get scammed like this. I thought there was honour among the brother- and sisterhood, as mentioned above.

e - this is post 200!

Perhaps the OP could just blitz the Ottawa scene - see as many girls as possible in a 2-3 week period so they would all recognize him and know the real him. That way if the imposter would show up they'd know it wasn't the OP and would refuse the imposter, it would be tough work for the OP but I'm sure if he was man enough he could handle it. :twisted: Not sure he'd be alive after though. 8-)

Congrats on the 200 post!

Not worth losing sleep over a guy who has his priorities so wrong.

;-)

. it makes me very angry that someone is out there pretending to be me, also this person doesn't prefrom as well as i do.

Very weird situation. Would you feel a bit better about it if he performed better than you do? :wink:

Have you considered this person is a lurker who is using your handle when he introduces himslf to providers in hope of getting better service. I have seen this situation on other boards although from your description of the situation, he isn't threatening the SPs with a bad review if he doesn't get what he wants, yet.

Bite me (J/k !!!)

Cloe and I plan on it! :twisted:

Have you considered this person is a lurker who is using your handle when he introduces himslf to providers in hope of getting better service.

The imposter isn't using his handle but using the OP's real name and identity, he's also using the OP's personal details such as work information, educational background etc. Definitely not a lurker but rather someone in his inner circle, that's what makes this dangerous.

If the information is given to a girl that is less than honest the girl would have all enough information about him to blackmail, steal his identity (cc fraud, etc.) or various other types of schemes. While most providers are discrete we really don't know what types of providers the imposter is visiting and since he's obviously not on the up and up you can't make assumptions about the type of people he's frequent.

Thanks for all for your input. Especially you kyra, for a trouble maker you sure give good advice. [ps kyra come to ottawa for a visit]

I've been thinking about this off and on which lead to me to conclusion that i hope this fake tells me because clearly this is one of my of my friends and it would be nice to have someone close to me that i could talk to about hobbying, something that i keep to myself.

Have you considered this person is a lurker who is using your handle when he introduces himslf to providers in hope of getting better service. I have seen this situation on other boards although from your description of the situation, he isn't threatening the SPs with a bad review if he doesn't get what he wants, yet.

I've figured people would try to hijack handles for that reason but i'm a nobody around here, i'm sure that have absolutely no reputation. I'm not Cowboy. Plus i don't use my my I.D. with SP's i prefer that way. like i would tell an SP if asked, but i wouldn't introduce myself "hello i'm such and such but my cerbian identy is Taxman."

Very weird situation. Would you feel a bit better about it if he performed better than you do? :wink: * youngstud

Yeah man that be sweet have some stud out there building up by name, ruining all the ladies for the everyone else, eventually people would say that i have 'The Golden Schlong, that can do no wrong' cause my legend would grow to be huge, maybe even become a urban myth. And not have to do anything to get this, yeah that would be sweet. :lol:

Honestly the preformance thing just has a little sting to it, maybe if i was outdone that extra sting wouldn't be there or maybe it would be worse, don't know.

Thanks for all for your input. Especially you kyra, for a trouble maker you sure give good advice. [ps kyra come to ottawa for a visit]

I will be in town first week of Feb., if I should happen to meet this imposter I'll be sure to write a review of him. ;)

I've been thinking about this off and on which lead to me to conclusion that i hope this fake tells me because clearly this is one of my of my friends and it would be nice to have someone close to me that i could talk to about hobbying, something that i keep to myself.

Are you kidding me? :shock:

*wanders off looking for a good brick wall*

Guest C*****tte

Did the SP who provided you with this information get the fraudulent client's number? When booking with her she must have asked for some proof of ID. That would help you track him down.

Now that the experience of discovering this is not fresh you might be in a better state of mine to face this person.

I know how you feel Taxman!

I had someone bait me on Craigs, they answered an ad of mine and when I replied with the requested info, their reply was something like, "When I heard you were doing this I thought it was a joke. I hope M. doesn't know, though if he does, that's even more pathetic. Moreso than you advertising as a Master's student." (at the time, I had just been accepted and had yet to actually go).

Granted, this person isn't out pretending to be me or using my name fraudulently, but they obviously knew me and knew my boyfriend and enough about me to know I wasn't in school at the time. I was totally panicked and was jumping every time the phone rang expecting my mother to call and tell me how disappointed she was in me.

I really hope you get it sorted out. Other posters have given you some really great advice, so I don't have too much to add in that area. Best of luck, and if I ever get anyone telling me they're the Taxman, I'll let you know!

What I would find disturbing about this is the fact you said that because of the type of info he divulges, this is someone who knows you personally, not some other board member or lurker. So if - as you said - you don't talk about this to your friends, somebody you may or may not know has got into your email or something like that. Yeah, that's a bit scary...you'd have to be a little off in the head to go around pretending like that, it's premeditated....

Just wanted to let you all know that i think i may of solved this problem, i believe it to be a co worker. So i'm going to settle this right now just in case he connects my real name to my Cerbian Handle I taxman7583 I'm a 6'1 blue eyed blonde (well dirty blonde but it's still blonde so whatever!!) not a 5'7 balding man with a mustache.

Thanks once again for all your help and input

Edited by t*****7**3
typo