fraud is everywhere...

Hi Mikey and Jodi

I am writing you because I found your names as the promoters of the Halifax Everything to Do with Sex Show.

I filled out a ballot at the entrance of the show to win a cruise and received a phone call tonight saying that I had won a free cruise and all I had to do was pay the taxes. They explained everything to me very well and meticulously and I thought to myself that it must be true cause they had my ballot and they read it off to me verbatim with my name address and email. What made me suspicious is they asked me to pay 299 for taxes per person right away and asked me for my credit card to confirm. I told them to go pound sand if I had won why do I have to pay anything. I then did some research and found them out to be most definetly a fraud.

I'm not sure if you were aware of this but I find this very displeasing and upsetting that you don't screen some of the vendors at the show. I'm sure there are some other people out there they may have been already had by these scammers.

Also the dead give away was their website ended with a .net, no commercial company ends their website with .net.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/10637-ramada-plaza-resorts-vacation-cruise-prize-fraud-canada-2/

I am very displease that I paid to see your show and then was almost taken advantaged of by one of the vendors. I have BCC my friends that attended the show with me in case they received a call from them as well.

i thought this would be important since The show is also going to be in Montreal,Toronto and Vancover. A friend of mine received the call and this was the letter he wrote back.

kisses,

Emma A

Thank you for looking out for the rest of us. I would have told them the same thing, winning a prize isn't supposed to cost anything.

Sorry to hear about the scam Emma, hope you didn't give away any info...

Ahhhh! recessions, one thing is sure, over the next few years 100,000's of scams will be out pumping for your dollars due to the huge amount of people lossing their jobs. All you can do is be careful, read all the details and then make your decision.

Here is another little ditty..... Have you ever noticed during the summer school holidays that internet crime rises, well its all due to the 10's of thousands net savvy kids with little or nothing to do but test out their programming skills. Once school starts, the scams seem to fall off.....

it must be one that is currently making the rounds because yesterday I received the same thing, only by mail.

the sad part is that some people fall for it.

a couple of years ago I had a call telling me I won a new car and only had to pay shipping charges (supposedly from Montreal, I'm in the maritimes), when I said I would come and pick it up, the call quickly ended.

basically, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Sorry to hear about the scam Emma, hope you didn't give away any info...

Ahhhh! recessions, one thing is sure, over the next few years 100,000's of scams will be out pumping for your dollars due to the huge amount of people lossing their jobs. All you can do is be careful, read all the details and then make your decision.

Here is another little ditty..... Have you ever noticed during the summer school holidays that internet crime rises, well its all due to the 10's of thousands net savvy kids with little or nothing to do but test out their programming skills. Once school starts, the scams seem to fall off.....

i didn't receive the call but i'm sure i will....lol. I get this one call however every other day that i hang up on it starts with"This is your Captain Speaking"...haha...i'll captain thus...with my foot up your...anyway i think i can pretty much tell a scam by now and if i'm unsure i call upon Ck...

kisses,Emma

Emma,

THIS IS YOUR CAPTANI SPEAKING!! bwahahaha!

you are most correct about this, however, since I won this myself last week, I did a lot of homework.....

1) on the back of the ballot, it states in the rules, there is one winner per day, all other entries may be eligible for a discounted travel package - therefore, they rpesent as legit booths in shows

2) this company is based out of Florida - google it 800-203-9783 - Ramada Plaza Resorts - working with Imperial Majesty Cruise Vacations

3) you will find these booths at trade shows EVERYWHERE. I entered at the Boat Show in Toronto. Others entered at Briday shows, auto shows, Sex Shows, and home shows....

4) you're given a year and a half to book your trip....

These ballots are used for marketing tools.... they get all your info, and your agreement to receive calls and promotions from them, mind you, I did check "I do not wish to receive any promotional stuff" at the bottom of the ballot

The website they give, was registered in 2007. From as far back as I could read, people have been getting these calls since then, but the whois shows I think it was January 2007 regiistry date.

Personally, I have been unable to verify whether ANYBODY actually paid the $299 and went on the trip. it's a "discounted trip" remember, so, it is possible it exists. Funny thing is they did NOT ask me for my credit card. They said I could call them with it, when I was ready to book, in the next 18 months...

My trip was 4 days orlando, 4 days cruise to bahamas... they also have a trip to mexico they offer some people as well..

Just my 2 cents, I would pay the $299 if I knew it was legit, but I can't confirm that at all.

Beware of anything that asks for any money. Years ago I paid a small minimal fee for a fantastic sounding trip that I had apparently won, and in the end it cost me several thousand dollars plus.

Very smooth salesmen/women (yes it was a tagteam-not one I enjoyed after all). I have now put myself in a position that they can kiss my great Canadian butt and I will save some coin.

Guest f***2f***
i didn't receive the call but i'm sure i will....lol. I get this one call however every other day that i hang up on it starts with"This is your Captain Speaking"...haha...i'll captain thus...with my foot up your...anyway i think i can pretty much tell a scam by now and if i'm unsure i call upon Ck...

kisses,Emma

That's me calling you silly girl!!!:shock:

Unfortunately these kinds of people make anyone that is offering a raffle or draw or opportunity, look bad.

Personally I never fill out any ballot at any type of show, but only because I know of this stuff (from experience, just like you Emma!).

If you ever travel to Mexico or other hot spots, beware there as well. They'll try to get you to sign up for upgraded rooms, time share condos/rooms/hotels, whatever. Just walk away from them all. Stick with the vacation package you bought and don't be tempted by the FREE bottle of booze or food they offer you if you listen to them.