Whipe A Hard Drive

If you are reinstalling windows than just put the CD in and it should boot from the CD and ask you what you want to do.

You want to install windows not recover windows or do a overlay.

It should ask you about partitions. Delete the primary partition (C:/)

By removing the main partition it will warn you that you will loose all personal data (make sure you back everything up first of course). When you say yes it will ask you to make a new partition and the size (or default is to use the entire free space).

If you have a large hard drive (80+gigs) you may want to make 2 partitions but if your hard drive is smaller just keep it all on one. If you have a huge driver 250+gigs you will want more than one partition for sure. (Each partition is a new drive letter so you can split a hard drive and make it look like a number of smaller drives (One for music, one for photos, etc... but the main drive (C:/) is best to have the OS and the program files and should be at least 20gigs in size if possible. They recommend a minimum of 5gigs for windows XP I think and honestly that is not enough. ((If your drive gets over 80% full bad things start to happen! computer gets very slow and you can corrupt files and get blue screens as the tmp files need lots of room))

Now, if your selling your computer or giving it away you will want to do a deep format (Erase it all very well) you can find free utilities to do this (like: http://www.download.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html?tag=mncol) most of the software from downloads.com has been checked and is virus free (Look for lots of downloads and good reviews) but you don't need this if you are keeping the computer as the windows install disk will do the fdisk (Format) for you once you erase and create a new primary partition.

Hope that helps.

and if that doesn't work ask the boys they are always willing to help me...I have an old one too.....lol

Any time

PS Do you have an old computer or an old boy?

If you are reinstalling windows than just put the CD in and it should boot from the CD and ask you what you want to do.

You want to install windows not recover windows or do a overlay.

It should ask you about partitions. Delete the primary partition (C:/)

By removing the main partition it will warn you that you will loose all personal data (make sure you back everything up first of course). When you say yes it will ask you to make a new partition and the size (or default is to use the entire free space).

If you have a large hard drive (80+gigs) you may want to make 2 partitions but if your hard drive is smaller just keep it all on one. If you have a huge driver 250+gigs you will want more than one partition for sure. (Each partition is a new drive letter so you can split a hard drive and make it look like a number of smaller drives (One for music, one for photos, etc... but the main drive (C:/) is best to have the OS and the program files and should be at least 20gigs in size if possible. They recommend a minimum of 5gigs for windows XP I think and honestly that is not enough. ((If your drive gets over 80% full bad things start to happen! computer gets very slow and you can corrupt files and get blue screens as the tmp files need lots of room))

Now, if your selling your computer or giving it away you will want to do a deep format (Erase it all very well) you can find free utilities to do this (like: http://www.download.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html?tag=mncol) most of the software from downloads.com has been checked and is virus free (Look for lots of downloads and good reviews) but you don't need this if you are keeping the computer as the windows install disk will do the fdisk (Format) for you once you erase and create a new primary partition.

Hope that helps.

Awesome, again you rock! 8-)

To make a long story short, I did a nuke and pave and it did NOT turn out well. I don't quite know wtf I did to screw it up, but I managed to get it mangled enough that it won't take the NIC driver, but after 3 installs I managed it to get the rest. Oh and to top it off, I just sold it today for $200!

Stuff like the network card may require specific drivers. You need to find out what network card you have in the machine and download and install the driver. Windows DOES NOT come with all the available drivers... and even the ones it does come with are usually out of date so you have to download the new ones and update them. (This is a big reason why people like MAC's).

I am happy with my new laptop, I bitched to the right people and it was delivered the next day. I have an extra keyboard and mouse, as my long nails don't type to well on that keypad:mrgreen:

Ok well just got back from a well awaited vacation and I see this post "some what old" but I'd like to add my 2cents to help you chats out. Yes Mod does know his puters... Remember to format your drive in NTSF and not Fat32. NTSF is much more stable and does come with more features once formatted. Secondly... for the love of god people get a good back up software ( do not use Norton ) it's a pig on your resources, I'm suggesting Acronis, its lite weight does not install on your system, it uses a boot CD for restoring and backing up, google it you'll find it.

hey, if I have to wear a condom your computer should too....

rub