No Wireless Internet Connection

Hi,

I've been having a problem getting a wireless connection with my laptop. My desktop has an excellent connection but any laptop or tablet in the house cannot retreive nor does it show any wireless connections. The only way to use my laptop is to plug a yellow cable into it from my vonage device.

I did get a wireless connection earlier this evening but only for 10 or 15 minutes and even that was a hit and miss. No wireless networks will appear and going to the wireless security network does nothing. There is nothing wrong with my modem either. I've tried resetting modem and vonage devic many times yesterday and today with no luck. Because there are other people staying with me temporarily, I am now using my laptop in my laundry room.lol.

Please help! Thank-you!

Personally I find it a lot easier to troubleshoot these things in person where I can see the equipment and settings. With all do respect, you haven't given us any information as to your operating system, laptop model, network setup such as are you using a high speed modem with a wireless router integrated into it or do you have a separate wireless router, router model, your encryption type.... see where I'm going with this?

When troubleshooting, it's best to start with the easier solutions first and work your way back to harder solutions. Are you sure that your wifi is switched on? Is there any other electronics in the house that is new and might be interfering with the signal? Have you tried deleting the connection and adding it again? Or maybe there's malicious software on your laptop that might be messing with it, a thorough scan with an anti virus, spy ware, and malware software wouldn't hurt if you haven't done that in awhile. Are drivers up to date? Are all the cables on your modem and router seated properly in their sockets? I assume you've tried rebooting your laptop, maybe its just a hiccup that a reboot might solve. Have you removed any unnecessary devices from your laptop or network setup, like your vonage device, so it's just the laptop and router?

Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to come take a look, cause computer troubleshooting and repair is what I do. And I take a more of a hands on approach when tinkering with a computer.

Maybe some other techno savvy people can chime in here with some ideas...

Best of luck! There's nothing I hate more than not getting a wifi signal when I should be. :-)

Go to Second Cup or any place that has free WIFI to see if you can connect to another network if you can then you surely have an issue inside your sensual home.

rub.

• Like 1

I found out the problem. I still had the old modem which wasn't giving a good signal and exchanged it for a new Cisco one. Then when setting it up which was very easy to do or so it seemed, I still couldn't get internet access but already had a home network set up, I called up Rogers. They hadn't registered my new modem in their system when I exchanged the old one at the store and apparently I wasn't the only one. It was resolved within a few hours but still annoying!

Bell did the same thing with my digital receiver, it took 2 days to sort it out they kept saying i had it hooked up wrong and for $65.00 they would send someone out to look at it.

I kept telling them im not a tool i know how to hook up a simple digital receiver the problem is on their end. As it turns out the billion dollar corporation was wrong they dident activate it...hmmm go figure. Sorry for the rant but i know your frustration.