Looking to buy a new camera

I've had my eye on this baby since I saw the first commercial filmed with it.

Does anyone have it, heard of it, used one or have any info about it? (Good, bad or ugly). I've read everything I can but want the real deal and scope on this baby!!

I would like some real information about it before I buy one.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0000314.aspx?path=c70e39f11d650ba8ea39325239f3d492en02

Thanks in advance!!

Big Hugs and Kisses,

Lexy

Edited by Lexy Grace

Canon is a great product and there's likely as many pro's/cons opinions as they typically come down to what you want the camera to do. I've had Canon's & Nikon's and they're both great products. Be wary about sale's at Future Shop. Usually means they're trying to clear the shelves for the next model coming.

My advice would be to go to a store that specializes in Camera's (Henry's) and tell them what's important to you. They can then lead you to right camera.

I went looking for a DSLR as well and ended up with this as I wanted a DSLR but really only needed this..

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/nikon-nikon-coolpix-p310-16-1mp-digital-camera-black-p310-black/10197351.aspx

Good luck

The next model (T4i) is actually out. for a comparison check out http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon-T3i

Note there is a recall on the T4i due to the grip turning white I believe.

Is the T4i better? Yes. Is it worth the extra $$ for it. Depends on what you plan on using the camera for.

Does the fact that the T3i is last year's model bother you? If not this is a good deal for the camera. And if this is your first DSLR, the T3i is certainly more than you'll need and is a good starting point into the world of DSLRs. As far as going to a local company, get your prices (including sales) from a futureshop and bring them to the local guys (Henry's). More likely than not they will match the price. And you will get much better service from them afterwards. (Do this for any extra lenses you'll be buying as well)

Also, if they try and sell you an extra battery, the Canon's expensive (and yes will last longer). Look for a third party. I've used one now for a few years and they work great. Any questions, let me know. I'm very familiar with the T3i.

Guest Ou**or**n

You mentioned seeing a commercial filmed with it so I'm wondering if your interest is in video. DSLR cameras can produce wonderful video but they have two huge limitations. First the standard kit lens with the camera won't give the zoom factor of a dedicated video camera. Second they don't autofocus in video mode.

Now the upcoming T4 is supposed to have decent autofocus in video but it will require the new Canon STM lenses that are silent in focusing (needed for auto focus in video). However reviews have not been good.

From DPReview:

In our time spent using the camera, we've not been able to reliably maintain focus on objects moving to or away from the camera at even a moderate walking pace. As it stands it's hard to envision situations in which continuous AF that is this slow has any practical benefits for tracking moving subjects. As with the EOS 600D, we still recommend shooting video in manual focus, or at the very least pre-focusing the lens with a half-shutter button press before you start recording.

However if you are looking for something for just good quality still photos then the T3 is good with the T4i or the 60D being better options.

I agree that visiting a real camera store such as Henry's or Vistek is your best option for information. However shop around for the best price when it comes to actually buying.

http://www.photoprice.ca/cm/00002-00000/Digital-SLR-Cameras.html

Henry's and Vistek will both usually match the best price you find in Canada if you point it out to them. They verify and match as long as the price includes shipping.

While Cannon T3i is a very good camera, you may also want to consider the Nikon D5100 -

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0000084.aspx?path=3fe5746b11a7132564a2f137975023c6en02

Depending on what you'd like to do with it, for about $60 more, you are getting an extra lens. I have also heard that Nikon D5100 is an easier camera to use.

Good luck! Please note that you won't go wrong with either camera.

I agree with out for fun regarding video certainly, but he stated T4 and T3 as well as the T3i and T4i and I just wanted to point out these are different models: (his arguments are still valid)

T3, T3i, T4 and T4i (Also have the older T2, T2i, T1 and T1i) The "i" versions are the more advanced versions.

Thanks for all the info. I think I may go with the new model T4i.

It will be used for my companion work photos and personal photos, lots of personal/family video (a personal project that I am working on about my Mom) possibly business videos:icon_wink:.

I do take photos/videos as a hobby and want to step my game and skills up in that area, as well as take a photography class and I'd like something of great quality and top notch.

I'm pretty quick at learning how to use basically any electronic so I'm confident that I will learn to use it very quickly.

I've had my eye on the T3i and now a more advanced/better version is out. I've made my choice T4i baby.

I'm so excited, now I just have to buy it. hehehe

May be a birthday or Christmas gift to myself but my birthday comes earlier!!

Thank you for all your knowledgeable posts and PM's.

Big Hugs and Kisses,

Lexy

Not sure if you have purchased already. However check out http://www.dpreview.com

Great samples of the cameras. Personally i use a canon 40d which is a little bit older but i love it. I use also use a canon g15 for my point and shoot

• Like 1