For Mars Rover Buffs

I visited the space centre in Cape Canaveral in March 1974 (with a sprained ankle-thats another story) and bought a T shirt with the space shuttle on it. No one knew what the space shuttle was. The program started in 1972 but it was 1981 before the 1st one went up.

Yes this Mars probe expedition is truly amazing.

Interesting stuff, but a depressing reminder of how stuck we are on this planet and how much intense effort it takes simply to leave our atmosphere. Mankind needs to discover a way to transcend its physical boundaries and explore the outer (or perhaps inner) world in other ways. Perhaps technology will someday allow us to discover additional senses, and somehow mind travel anywhere in the universe, without physically leaving this earth. Shooting fire-propelled missiles into the air isn't that far advanced from the days when the Chinese discovered rocketry, considering the 800+ years which has elapsed.

Mind-altering drugs or technology might be a door to the universe. Meditation? Well hell, death had better be, that's for sure, but I think I'll wait on that one. ;-)

Shrooms, anyone?

And hey, they didn't have to glam it up by adding sound to the space travel scenes.