Options for a second phone number

Guest V***s*aP*I

So I am just getting myself all setup working and I have concerns about carrying a second cell phone (for discretion and practicality) I was wondering if anyone has any experieince with VOIP applications for iPhone that will allow me a local number and get text/calls on it.

Looking for specific information on what may be available.

Im not trying to hijack your thread but i have no idea about voip options.

I do the unpractical solution of carrying a second cell phone, but because my other job I am self employed it looks believable as to why I would have another cell phone. Sorry my answer is no help to you

Guest jrose

Have you considered just getting another number on a SIM, and swapping them in and out as needed?

You'll pay for a second line, but depending on how much you use it you could go over your cell plan with the data option, and end up spending more.

You have an iPhone you said, so get a SIM on pay / go perhaps, use that number for texts and Voice mails might be an option.

Guest V***s*aP*I

My carrier won't allow me to activate a SIM with the existing IMEI so thats not an option. Also it wouldn't be very practical anyway, I have no idea when someone might send a text or call my second number to do the switch. I know there are options, just hoping someone might have experinces with a specific software.

I think Rogers will allow a second voice line on a cell phone. I remember reading about that somewhere, however I have never had it.

I use a sim phone that takes two cards. That way you only have one to carry and can turn each card on or off ( this may depend on the model of cell phone).

For my hobby SIM i use a 7-11 speak out phone. It allows you to set your number for any city you want and the cost of calls is not too bad especially for low volume pay as you go use. They have bundles of monthly minutes, text etc that are quite good.

Once you buy the card you can do everything over the web as well.

The issue I found with VoIP phones are they want to tie it with a verifiable home address. I had one for a few months and when they couldn't verify my address they terminated it. They claim this is for 911 safety reasons yet there is a big disclaimer that their system isn't 100% compatible with 911 calls. --sigh--

I hadn't tried the iPhone app but I won't be surprise if the same issue exists.

Guest V***s*aP*I

I was looking at "Line2" and think I will go with it, only problem is I can only get a Halifax number and not PEI. But since I plan on using it primarily for texting and verification calls it shouldn't be a problem.

I think Rogers will allow a second voice line on a cell phone. I remember reading about that somewhere, however I have never had it.

I made it, with Rogers, a couple of years from now.

That was perfect, I was having just one cell to transport with me. I had to have a second phone, and you ask that all the calls will be forwarded to the phone you will carry. so, it costs like a basic line 25$ by month, and I had like over 2000 forward calls possibility by month.

The big thing I did not like, is I was not receiving the SMS of the phone forwarded, and the second thing, is I wasn't knowing if I was receiving a personal call or an impromptu "sexy demand" call (I am working with email basically, and the phone call are just when a rendez-vous is about to arrive)

So, at the end, it was not a good idea for me. I prefer to have 2 separate phones. But if it works well for you, Skype is the one to use, I am guessing, look interesting. If someone could talk about his/her experience with Skype on a cell, that will be really interesting to know...

:)

Guest V***s*aP*I

A friend of mine uses skype on his cell and the incoming call and SMS sucks, it is pretty much only good for outgoing calls.

Late into this, but if you have an iPhone or one of the newer BlackBerries (9900/9850/9810), the best option imo for a second number is Dell Voice. While it does require your address, it does so for the sole purpose of directing police in an emergency. Put a fake address if you so wish. As well, you can indicate where your local calling region is and get a local number.

I travel a lot between Ottawa/Montreal/Toronto. I use Dell voice for a Montreal number to hand over to clients from Quebec, and as long as the app is running in the background, I can receive calls. Long distance within Canada is free (or anywhere you have wifi). And you also have a voicemail option.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dell-voice-free-phone-app/id473770452?mt=8