colonoscopy - how bad is it?

Thought I would get some advice/info etc...

I have to go for a colonoscopy and well having never been to one before what should i expect? Im quite nervous which in turn is freaking me out lol

I know im probably making too big a deal of this but... what am i in for? Does it hurt? Do they drug you up nice and good? Any chance of awkwardness (and by that i include an inopportune moment of 'standing at attention').

Any tricks to help get through it?

thanks

No worries mate, they'll have you drugged up nice. You'll be alseep during the whole procedure, and when you wake up it'll be all over. The prep for the procedure is actually the worst part, after you drink that vile concoction, just don't stray too far from the bathroom

Thought I would get some advice/info etc...

I have to go for a colonoscopy and well having never been to one before what should i expect? Im quite nervous which in turn is freaking me out lol

I know im probably making too big a deal of this but... what am i in for? Does it hurt? Do they drug you up nice and good? Any chance of awkwardness (and by that i include an inopportune moment of 'standing at attention').

Any tricks to help get through it?

thanks

They drug you up nice and good. No chance of anything too painful happening. The prep beforehand is much worse - the fleet enema.

Hi my brother passed away about a year ago from colon cancer so I was advised to have the test by his doctor as it tends to run in the family. I was very fortunate that I was put under and do not remeber or felt anything my sister had the same test but because of medication she was on they could not but her under she said there was some disconfort but did not experiance any pain. Good luck and the most important thing is that you have the test

Yeah kinda not looking forward to that fleet enema... Is there not a liquid or some pills that you can take in exchange for the enema?

Im just a big freaking wuss... Im in my early 30's, however my maturity level could sometimes be at that 2-10 year old range!

no way i will skip the appointment - just very nervous and i have a superly active imagination.

sorry about your brother redmachine...

Edited by spaceykca
hit enter before i was finished

ever had a prostrate massage.....??????....well it is not like that.......

do not worry......they will drug you up...it is not that bad.......I have worked at a hospital.......I have worked in a endo/colonoscopy suite.......most people do learn to walk again............:shock:

relax...do not worry..if it was that bad they would not do it so often.......

Relax... I had one recently and must say that it was easier then going to the dentist... no kidding I was VRY apprehensive/nervous, etc. Turned out to be

a very easy and unremarkable procedure. Ask for the sedation.. a mix of valium and fentanyl..... you will feel oh so good.. and may want to return sooner then you think.

Just imagine your favorite SP looking after you :-P If you go to the PES private clinic, OHIP pays Just ask your doctor that he/she should make an appointment with the clinic and in particular Dr. Arni Sekar, MRCP (UK), FRCPC -- he is outstanding, very kind and will make you feel comfortable. Good luck & do let us know how it went. You will be ready for SPs who specialize in prostate message :-P

Ottawa PES Clinic

Provis Endoscopy Ottawa Inc.

2 Gurdwara Road, Suite 100

Nepean, Ontario K2E 1A2

shim.gif

Telephone: 613-216-1823

Telefax: 613-216-1824

Email: [email protected]

http://www.ruddclinic.com/contactus.html

Yeah kinda not looking forward to that fleet enema... Is there not a liquid or some pills that you can take in exchange for the enema?

There is a liquid laxitive you can get from any Shopper's that tastes like ginger, that's all I had to do with mine, but you will get bad pains!

Thanks all! It is still a couple months before it happens... Im sure my mind will still be racing, but you have all helped in easing it quite a bit.... I will do a post-probe post, to let you know how this spazz does!

thanks again!

Its no worries if results turn out good.

I was awake, the gave me some local to freeze the colon. Did not even realize they started when Doc said he was done.

My Doc perscribed a purgative and fleet enema, but my pharmacist said not to bother with the enema, so i didn't. They were none the wiser and I saved myself the trouble.

hey folks - forgot to update...

thanks again all for your comments... it truly isnt that bad at all... the worst was the night before with the cleaning of the system lol...plus an anxious and nervous mind!

but the procedure itself was fairly quick, or seemed that way, and it was painless....plus the drugs were nice...made me yappy and maybe a bit loopy (more so than usual)

so to anyone that needs to have it done...take it from the biggest baby there is...its not bad at all.

Hey spaceykca, I'm glad things worked out for you...hurray for narcotics to get us through those procedures.Soon you will be back running your ass off..lol

Colon health is a favorite topic of mine, as many of you already know. It is critical to ensure all is good in the colon because once there is trouble it effects every aspect of the body. Most of the medical testing procedures today are really well done and fairly easy to take.

There are a lot of things we can do to keep things running smoothly on our end. I know I sound like a grandma, but fiber is key and should be supplemented daily. My favorite is psyllium fiber which is sold under the brand name Metamucil. They now have cookies and bars which are convenient and easy to use and the powder comes in berry, lemonade, and orange flavors. There is no excuse for not getting enough daily fiber.

The second thing is hydrotherapy. The finest hydro-therapist I have ever used is right here in Ottawa down in the market on the corner of King Edward and St. Patrick. She is THE BOMB and can fix up all kinds of health challenges thru proper colon management.

Taking care of yourself is key. Simple prevention and a little attention go a long way.

Cat

• Like 1

Darling relax....they drug you so well, when you op0en your eyes aain everything will be all right...no fear....I had 2 done because my moter died of colon cancer, no worries. Just relax...they will pyut you to sleep and in less than an hour you will be up.

Someone has to be with you to drive you back home (because of the anesthetic, that is all)Be good and come play with one of us after the day is over!!!!! LOL

Tracie:roll:

ever had a prostrate massage.....??????....well it is not like that.......

quote]

You jack ass......! That wasn't nice!

dut funny!

How do you know if you need such a procedure? It's not part of any general physical I've ever had. Is it an age thing, like getting your prostate checked when you hit 40?

My GP recommended one simply because my bowl movements changed from before in terms of frequency and consistency. The doctor that performed the colonoscopy did so without anesthetic. It was painful but thankfully was over pretty quick. I'll opt for the drugs next time when I go in 10 years.