Using your tv as a monitor

I have a Sony Bravia purchased about 4-5 yrs ago and a toshiba notebook purchased this summer. What do I need to connect the two?

The TV should have an HDMI connection? I use my flat screen TV as a monitor connected with an HDMI cable. That's with a laptop so not sure about a notebook?

Depending on the laptop and the TV, at a minimum you would need the same sort of cable you use to connect a Monitor to a Desktop computer. Your laptop could have an HDMI output or a DVI output, would need more details of the laptop.

But basically, connect the video cable to both, go into the screen properties and choose to either duplicate (see same thing on both kaptop and TV) or Extend (have displays showing different things) and then select the correct input on the tv.

Clear as mud? lol

http://www.labnol.org/software/tutorials/how-to-connect-laptop-computer-tv-screen-lcd-hdtv/2331/

Cheers

Okay, so i checked the specs and you have a VGA output, which is the exct same type of cable used for any computer connecting to a monitor.

If you look at the link, you can see the VGA pictured. Following the steps in the page should get you there.

If you're tv doesn't have a VGA input(the 25 pin D shaped connector) on the back, then you may be able to use something like this. It will plug into a USB port on your laptop, then into the HDMI port on your TV.

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-ca&catalog=online&category=Cables-HDMI_DVI&product=1511217

There are three standard video cables to connect a computer (desktop/laptop) to a monitor or TV screen.

They are:

VGA:

300px-SVGA_port.jpg

DVI:

pd_dvi_detail.gif

And HDMI:

hdmi-port-type-a.jpg

Most modern computer monitors will accept all three inputs. TVs are a different matter. Almost all Plasma/LCD/LED TVs will accept HDMI, so if you have a port like that on your laptop, then you're set. Just get a long cable, Walmart usually has long ones for cheap, and you can connect your computer to your TV, and get picture and sound.

But if your computer only has a VGA or DVI connection, then check to see if your TV has the same. You can pick up the cable from any computer store like Best Buy or the Source. Although, you will not get audio from the TV. You will need to connect your headphone jack to speakers or a stereo system if you have one.

If the TV does not have the same sort of connection as your computer, only an HDMI, then a VGA to HDMI converter is your best bet.

Something like this:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812186169

That way you can get sound and video on your TV.

Although, what kramepson said should also work well

Wireless solutions will allow you to do this too - such as Dell's Push2TV.

More expensive yes, but I find the wire-free mobility of the laptop much added-value to this idea. Then I added a wi-fi Seagate hard drive with 300 movies on it et voila! Endlessly streaming procrastination, err, I mean, entertainment ;)