I'm back in time for the holidays

Dear ones,

First of all, thank you, everyone who has sent me little notes and messages in the last few weeks while I've been away. I appreciate your care and thoughtfulness.

I''ve had a very rough autumn this year. An elderly friend took a very bad fall in September and was in ICU for 10 days, followed by a lot of high-level care. She's still in hospital, but moves to an extended care facility today. She suffered some major brain damage in the fall and it's hard to know how much function she will regain. Some days seem wonderful, others not at all. Anyway, I've spent a lot of time with her and her brother and sister-in-law, who are both 79 years old. They're like family for me and I've wanted to do what I could for them.

After things settled down, another friend had to go to Ontario to attend to her ailing mother. She asked me to house-sit for her and look after her dogs while she was away. What had been intended to be a week turned into three weeks when it was clear her mother was nearing the end, and then passed away. I enjoyed the time away, but was without Internet access. I could go into town and use the computers at the library, and so I did that a few times. Otherwise, I tramped around the forest with the dogs or stayed in the house, writing. I've been working on a book and got three-quarters of the way through it, thanks to this steady, uninterrupted time away.

Shortly after I came home, one of my closest friends told me she hadn't been feeling well. She'd had a lot of back pain, but that wasn't unusual for her. She found she was very uncomfortable after eating and thought that might be why she'd lost almost 20 pounds in about a month. I urged her to see her doctor. A few days later, the doctor sent her to the hospital for tests. They discovered that she had pancreatic cancer and said that she might have three to six months to live. But she died four days later. I've known her for 25 years.

I've been reeling. I haven't been online very much. I'm grateful for some of my regular clients who have kept in touch and have come to see me, but otherwise I haven't been very active.

I've got my feet back under me now, and I'm feeling much better. I'm back at work again. It's time to pick up my life.

I hope that everyone has a peaceful and joyous holiday season this year. Things can happen so fast and change so quickly in our lives. I hope that you will be able to give thanks for friends and family and cherish the time you have with them.

Oh my, so sorry to hear all of the burdens that you have had to deal with! I am so happy to have you back and offer my condolences. I sincerely hope that you are able to find some joy in the upcoming holiday season!

Let me echo Meg's comments. My deepest condolences and sincerest wish for a 2013 full of happiness.

Porthos

A sincere welcome back Samantha. For those of us who have come to know you through your writing it is not a surprise that you would have stepped up and helped others in the way that you have done, even as it took a personal toll. We also know that you are strong.

There are many kinds of friends, and I am certain that in this community there are many who are proud to call themselves Samantha's friend, and who are there should you wish to call upon them.

Now, while you were away Lee Richards has posted some outrageously bad jokes that you probably don't need to look up and you may or may not be pleased to know that you made it into my Christmas Dream poem. :)

May peace and joy come with the ushering in of the holiday season and with 2013 being just around the corner.

Welcome back Samantha. I have always enjoyed reading your posts.

It was super sweet of you to take care of your friends like that Samantha!

I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

Take care.

XoXo

Peachy/Val.