Boolean Search Capability ?

Hi, I'm a relative newbie to CERB so if this appears to be a dumb question I apologize in advance. I would like to know if its possible to use boolean search operators in the search window - a feature similar to what's available in the standard search engines such as Google or Bing.

So for example, if I want to search on threads/posts for Pam in Winnipeg ( I don't want Pams anywhere else in the country - sorry girls :icon_cry: ) in Google, I would enter "Pam AND Winnipeg" (without the quotes). I've played with various combinations of keystrokes and have not yet discovered a solution.

Anyone? anyone?

You will want to explore the ADVANCED SEARCH page. You will not be able to search for "PAM" as three letters is too short for a search but you can tell the system to ONLY look in Winnipeg (Actual Boolean search is suppose to work as well now)

FROM THE SYSTEM ADMIN SETTINGS: Boolean Fulltext Search

This permission allows members of this group to search your forums using the Boolean option. This permission only applies to search performed when your forum's search type is set to Fulltext. This permission allows Boolean searches, which includes the usage of AND, OR, and NOT to limit results. This option can be server intensive for very large forums so its usage is cautioned. When this permission is disabled, the Fulltext search will use a less intensive relevance based search.

Your a general member now so this should work for you according to the documentation for the website. Let me know if it does not and I will look into it further.

You can however ad an asterix to the end of your 3 letter name as a wildcard to meet the minimum 4 character query required by the database.

Edited by Cowboy kenny
asterix symbol was filtered out so I added the word asterix instead
  • Like 1

Thank you mod and CK. I was only using Pam as an example, fortunately, most SP's have long exotic names so the 3 character limit is not an issue - LOL.

Using the Advanced Search and limiting the search for Winnipeg does the trick!

I still can't get the boolean operator "AND" to work however no big deal - I get the results I want using Option #1