Finding IP Addrress IN Gmail

I was wondering if it is possible to find an persons ip address if they use gmail? I have looked in gmail and I dont see any options to display full headers or anything like that

I could be wrong but I don't know if that is possible. An email will likely go through multiple hops each with a unique address. I'm not in front of a computer right now so make sure and Google that question to see what pops up ;)

Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Angela,

Unfortunately one of the selling points of gmail addresses is anonymity.

You won't be able to see header information from where the person sent it.

"When you use an web-based mail program, such as GMail or MSN HotMail, you're not actually sending mail from your machine at all. You're using your browser to interact with a service that they provide on their servers. When you finally press send, the mail originates on the service's server, not your computer. If you take a look at the email headers for a message sent from a service such as GMail, you'll see only GMail servers and the servers required to deliver the message to its destination."

Hope this helps you and the other ladies here.

If law enforcement or the govt really want to find out about someone's activities, they will pursue it further.

Redstorm

thanks for the info guys, and to miss emmaalexandra;-)

I didn't think gmail had the option of displaying headers to see the originating IP address, such as hotmail and yahoo have. That is kind of what I was trying to get at.

And to find the ISP of the originating IP I have also done a reverse dns search and that worked somewhat, what is your take on it? How close can that get you to the computer the email was sent from?

If the email you received was sent from a desktop email client using SMTP, e.g. MS livemail,Outlook Express etc, you still can see the IP address. You will need one of these email clients, too. Most people are now using router for home network. The IP address in the header will be a dynamically assigned IP address for the router by ISP.

If the email you received was sent from a desktop email client using SMTP, e.g. MS livemail,Outlook Express etc, you still can see the IP address. You will need one of these email clients, too. Most people are now using router for home network. The IP address in the header will be a dynamically assigned IP address for the router by ISP.

These are just the fly by night accounts such as gmail, where I don't see the option of finding the originating IP by turning on the full headers. I do know that you can find the IP in yahoo, hotmail, etc

That is the beauty and curse of web mail. You cannot be traced easily and its accessible anywhere.

Guys/girls who want to harass others use web mail as their choice.

They probably know it's hard to trace. If you are stupid enough to use your own personal email (rogers, sympatico, shaw), they deserve to be caught.

Sorry to hear if you are having trouble. It's the times now.

Redstorm

That is the beauty and curse of web mail. You cannot be traced easily and its accessible anywhere.

Guys/girls who want to harass others use web mail as their choice.

They probably know it's hard to trace. If you are stupid enough to use your own personal email (rogers, sympatico, shaw), they deserve to be caught.

Sorry to hear if you are having trouble. It's the times now.

Redstorm

No trouble at all, it's all good. I just wonder about certain things now and then, btw the title of thread should be, I should use spell check:oops:

No worries, it's good to learn how things work in computers.

It seems overwhelming but patience and the willingness to learn

helps many fold.

Redstorm

If the email was sent from web mail, I think you are out of luck finding the IP. It has to be sent from desktop email client. If you are using one of these clients, there is a properties option under the File menu.

These are just the fly by night accounts such as gmail, where I don't see the option of finding the originating IP by turning on the full headers. I do know that you can find the IP in yahoo, hotmail, etc

When in Gmail, click on the arrow right of "Reply" and select "Show Original". Then look for X-Originating-IP. Copy the IP address and paste in any web based reverse ip lookup site (e.g. http://remote.12dt.com/ ), or use nslookup in windows cmd shell.

• Like 1

fi the sender is using hotmail or even yahoo and sending to your G-mail account you can use the properties tab the same as you would with hotmail to see the header info. Surprisingly enough integrating gmail with windows live is fairly painless. If however you are trying to track an ip address from a gmail originated message you are in fact out of luck.

If however you are trying to track an ip address from a gmail originated message you are in fact out of luck.

that is what I have been wondering about the whole time, now why is that?

Basically as i Stated before, webmail allows you to email without having to be asociated with a ISP (Internet Service Provider)

You have an account on their company email server and you can send emails using a web browser.

Gmail can supress the originating ip where the user is logging into their server for privacy.

Hotmail and Yahoo, it depends on the browser bin g used and what kind of settings done.

It's sad how this is setup but thre are many benefits and disadvantages for everything.

Redstorm

that is what I have been wondering about the whole time, now why is that?

Because the IP addresses in the email are Google's Web servers...because you're posting on the Web through one of Google's Web servers.

Real POP and IMAP email clients (Thunderbird, Apple Mail.app, etc.) will usually have your real IP address in the Received: headers.

However, if you email someone and link to an image from your own Web server in that email, then you can find out the recipients email address when they click to view the image or Gmail displays the image inline. Which is why I have images turned off by default in Gmail.