Domain hosting recommendations

So, I'd appreciate a little advice from those in the know...

I have a domain that I currently just use for email. The registration runs out soon, and I was thinking about abandoning my current domain hosting/services company (who, while not that bad, aren't that good either) for another.

What I'm really concerned about is email, and in particular I'd like a decent webmail interface in the browser, and some sort of encrypted MUA access (current incumbent only does wide-open POP, which isn't great, except when I ended up doing password retrieval with wireshark... :) ). And preferably not costing an arm and a leg...

A couple of other things... this is nothing CERB-related, so companies' attitudes to adult content and activities aren't relevant. And although I'm aware that Google is good at this and you can run your domain through them, I'm sure Google knows enough about my life already and I'd prefer to not to give them more data than I have to. Yeah, paranoid.... :)

Thanks in advance, all!

You might want to check out the Developer shed Forums. Just google DevShed they are a great source of information and will have people advertising as well as reviews on them

• Like 1

What I'm really concerned about is email, and in particular I'd like a decent webmail interface in the browser, and some sort of encrypted MUA access (current incumbent only does wide-open POP, which isn't great, except when I ended up doing password retrieval with wireshark... :) ). And preferably not costing an arm and a leg...

I wish other people would recognize the serious and intense security short comings of POP3 email. Access your email just once (maybe outlook or something similar polls for new mail in the background) just once using a WiFi hot spot and the jig is up.

And although I'm aware that Google is good at this and you can run your domain through them, I'm sure Google knows enough about my life already and I'd prefer to not to give them more data than I have to. Yeah, paranoid.... :)

Yes, Google is as good as it gets at this. It's different when you pay for Google Apps for Business... you even get to replace Google's logo with your own, all the ads go away and they stop harvesting your interests or reading your email. I do understand your concerns but 4 million businesses can't be wrong? http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/customers/ including many state and municipal governments.

You get a super slick web interface that is always SSL, a five nines 99.999% uptime guarantee, two-factor authentication (no more key stroke loggers stealing your password), 25GB of storage, sub-second search though all of it (enough to hold a life time of email) and countless other features. To me it is worth far more than the $50/year it costs. And you get a lot more than just great email. Google Docs, Google drive, the best integration with smart phones I have ever seen with automatic calendar and contacts sync.

Your concerns about "free" Gmail are warranted but when you pay they must respect the terms of the contract :)

• Like 1

It's different when you pay for Google Apps for Business...

Your concerns about "free" Gmail are warranted but when you pay they must respect the terms of the contract :)

Thanks for that! yes, I'll definitely check it out... I guess if you're paying for the service, you're no longer the product being sold, right? :)

Thanks for that! yes, I'll definitely check it out... I guess if you're paying for the service, you're no longer the product being sold, right? :)

You could put it that way. Google Apps for Business has been ISO 27001 certified. Even the spooks can use it (with two factor authentication, I imagine).

They will give you a 1 month free trial and your own "test" address so you can simply forward your email to it without adjusting the MX (Mail eXchanger) records in the DNS for your domain.

Aside from email (with really great spam filtering) and seemingly unlimited storage with the power of Google search against your email, there is just way so much more to it than email. While Google Docs isn't Microsoft Office, most people don't use 1/10 the features in office and the word processor, spreadsheet, presentation and drawing tools are not at all bad when you consider they can be used from anywhere and all you need is a web browser.

• Like 1