I was leading Peter to find what he was looking for, GL. Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. Sounds familiar GL? It wasn't a matter of being friendly or unfriendly as you claim but doing the right thing to help him out with this and future inquiries but of course that intention (and your comment) made me look the unfriendly guy...it is okay.....

I was leading Peter to find what he was looking for, GL. Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime Sounds familiar GL? It wasn't a matter of being friendly or unfriendly as you claim but doing the right thing.

Although I think you are absolutely right with the expression you quoted and I strongly believe in it, I remember how it was when I was a newbie on this board; I was overwhelmed by the site and all the options it had to offer. It even took me a while to discover everything I could do on here (I'm positive I'm not the only one).

So, consideing that the OP is brand new to CERB, I thought it would be appropriate to give him the link he was looking for since Sacha had an existing reco thread.

Nothing more to it ;)

Thanks for the advise which I already did some research but since there was no reco for a year I was wondering if there was any kinds of updates since she post quite often and no reviews...

Sure you are absolutely entitled to do how you feel is the best, maybe without being critical of my way as per your post or making me look unfriendly like SexyRebecca included the link. And learning the use of search is the first and most important step a newbie needs to know. Not very complicated either.

Anyhow the purpose was to help out the OP and he got the link twice and also knows how to do search and find future links by himself without our help. Welcome to cerb Peter.

• Like 1

Sure you are absolutely entitled to do how you feel is the best, maybe without being critical of my way as per your post or making me look unfriendly.

A little over-sensitive and over-reacting, maybe?

Anyway, if you think that's what I did, I apologise. It was not my intention. Perhaps I should include more smilies when I reply to threads :) ;) :)

Anyhow the purpose was to help out the OP and he got the link twice and also knows how to do search and find future links by himself without our help. Welcome to cerb Peter.

Indeed!

Edited by Ga*****la L****nce
spelling... missing R
  • Like 1

Hey, I am just wondering if there's any reco, or if anybody want to pm me their experience with Sacha, from Cerb.

Thanks

Welcome to Cerb. Hard to know the ins and outs of any website when you just join. So sincere and polite questions are more than okay in my opinion. Enjoy your experience. Spend some time and find your way around and have fun :)

• Like 3

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Similarly: build a man a fire, and you've made him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and you've made him warm for the rest of his (brief) life.

Which one's better?

Burning the poor new guy right out the gate is a bit harsh and might scare away a valuable new contributor. I get the principle of self-sufficiency you're going for but hey... there are all kinds of ways to show a guy how to help himself, and some are less stern and aloof than others.

• Like 2

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Similarly: build a man a fire, and you've made him warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and you've made him warm for the rest of his (brief) life.

IMO a really, really bad analogy.

• Like 1

IMO a really, really bad analogy.

I'll give you "unexpectedly gruesome". But speaking logically, it's very much to the point.

It came to mind because friends and I have been using that counter-example among ourselves for years.

Actually I thought it was awesome :)

Not a surprise from you.

Additional Comments:

I'll give you "unexpectedly gruesome". But speaking logically, it's very much to the point.

It came to mind because friends and I have been using that counter-example among ourselves for years.

It wasn't that your analogy was gruesome, it just seemed nonsensical to me.

It wasn't that your analogy was gruesome, it just seemed nonsensical to me.

Time for a stern letter of rebuke to Terry Pratchett! ;)

I will google Terry Pratchett and get back to you :).

Google the build-a-man-a-fire quote instead and it'll save you some time. :)

G'night. Keep well.

• Like 1

Burning the poor new guy right out the gate is a bit harsh and might scare away a valuable new contributor. I get the principle of self-sufficiency you're going for but hey... there are all kinds of ways to show a guy how to help himself, and some are less stern and aloof than others.

I am surprised how a few very minority try to start a fire on a peaceful board like this. Showing a guy the search button to learn and search for himself is similar to burning the guy or setting him on fire!!!!!. Amazed with your analogy in this thread and harsh response in the other to a fellow cerbite,,,l!!!!!!!!!!!!. No wonder I have been making very few posts here recently!!!

Showing a guy the search button to learn and search for himself is similar to burning the guy or setting him on fire!!!!!.

Okay, let me try again with less metaphor.

In explaining your own reply to the OP ("that's why there's a search function") you've emphasized one aspect: that it was teaching him self-sufficiency instead of simply handing the guy the thing he's asked for without explanation. And you're right.

I'm suggesting there's another aspect that's just as important, and that's some warmth, friendliness, and generosity with new folks. We could serve both purposes with a response to his post something like: "Sure, here's a link to that; and I got it by doing X." And although I'm sure not intentional, your reply was perhaps terse enough that it didn't serve this second purpose very well.

I'll bet you find that an unjustified and skewed interpretation of your initial post. That's cool. I thought my bit of metaphorical flourish in my own explanation was darkly funny and directly to the point, but for you (and not just you) it clearly was not. So, see? We both made mistakes yesterday. I suggest we blame the internet, communicating via text, and the problem of conveying our full intentions in hasty thread postings. ;)

Happy to move on.

• Like 2

Guys, respectfully, you should knock it off ... You all have managed to put a discussion on a simple question completely in the ditch.

Not helping anybody.

• Like 1

Guys, respectfully, you should knock it off ... You all have managed to put a discussion on a simple question completely in the ditch.

Not helping anybody.

But...but...I had just made some popcorn that I was going to eat while I sat back to enjoy the flame-war. Dammit Kubrickfan...why do you have to ruin all the fun? ;-)

:-D

"Can we all just get along?"

- Rodney King

I read the original reply and it did come off to me on the sarcastic side. I think it was well-intentioned and theoretically the right thing to do, I think it could perhaps have been worded a little differently:

Welcome to the Board! There is a wealth of knowledge already here and to start, one option would be to do a search, especially on the Recommendations thread. Then, if you don't find what you're looking for, feel free to ask any questions.