sex and the disabled

Guest S****r

A few weeks ago there was a video link about a woman in Australia who is a sex worker with disabled persons. It caught my eye then, and now again today there is a link to a cbc radio program on the topic. Is there anyone in Ottawa providing this service? I think this is something that I would be open to doing. Perhaps I need some "training." Does anyone know of any contacts in Ottawa--either those who can provide training or those who are disabled and looking for service?

When it comes to disabilities, you have to understand what type of disabilities they are dealing with. I met a client once who was almost totally disabled (wheelchair bound, but able to move once in a prone position, no acrobatics). He actually felt the medical should provide him a service, like how he has a homeworker come into take care of him.

It is totally different dealing with someone who cannot move around, but still wants to experience a sexual experience with someone who is skilled in this. You have to understand what and how they want to experience this. Take your time, book a longer time because everything that we normally take for granted takes longer. Understand that they still have sexual needs and are generally frustrated in people who will brush them off. Just because they have mobility issues, does not mean they dont have needs.

However, if they have cognitive or other types of needs, you have to understand how their disability needs to be understood. If they are blind, deaf, mentally challenged, or cognitive disabled, you have to take this into consideration.

Just keep in mind to ensure you book a longer call for them. Take your time, fine tune their needs and all is well.

Good luck!

• Like 3

This may be of interest. It is a recommendation by a disabled cerb member. It demonstrates the compassion that some of the ladies on this site are capable of. Be prepared to be emotionaly moved, as I certainly was.

Here's the link:

http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15487&page=3

scroll down to entry #26, written by big AL

• Like 2

If you're interested in offering this service, then the best promotion is probably to advertise that people with disabilities will be accepted with respect, communication, imagination and passion.

As for training and education, I can recommend the book "The Ultimate Guide to Sex and Disability". It's available at online booksellers, and I believe locally at Venus Envy (http://venusenvy.ca/ultimate-guide-sex-and-disability). Venus Envy also regularly runs a sex and disability workshop (http://venusenvy.ca/events/everybodys-doing-it-talking-about-sex-and-disability-2013-03-26), although I have never attended, so can't comment on it.

I'm not an expert in disability other than my own (incomplete spinal cord injury), but can tell you that there's a broad range of issues and some challenges to overcome. Mobility disabilities may require out-calls, positioning assistance - sometimes devices, sometimes lifting by yourself or an attendant. Your tantra chair would certainly be one form of assistive device for CPs, paras and quads that transfer themselves. Overcoming these sorts of challenges is where the imagination comes in.

As with the able-bodied, things work better when take your time, ask questions about what works for them, and encourage frank communication! :-)

• Like 2

I have read that the Australian woman will be in Montreal in a month or so to present her movie and will be available to answer questions. I can post more about it when I have complete information. If I forget, feel free to remind me by email or pm.

• Like 1

Guest S****r

Someone else mentioned that, too. I would be interested in possibly going, if any of the girls here are interested in going, too.

I have worked with disabled clients.. I don't think any special training is needed other than the ability to listen (they will tell you what they need and how) and compassion. Same as with any other outcall client. No amount of training would have helped me prepare as each one had extremely different capabilities and needs.

• Like 4

The title of documentary about the SP and their disabled clients in Australia is called Scarlett Road, and it is a quite moving story.

Also I recall I watched another documentary film about the SPs and disabled clients in United Kingdom on TV several years ago.

I can tell you that Scarlett Road is much better.

• Like 1

The title of documentary about the SP and their disabled clients in Australia is called Scarlett Road, and it is a quite moving story.

Also I recall I watched another documentary film about the SPs and disabled clients in United Kingdom on TV several years ago.

I can tell you that Scarlett Road is much better.

That's funny. I used to have an incall on Scarlett Rd in Toronto a few years ago :)

I think that the number one thing with being open to seeing the disabled is to advertise that you are open to seeing them. I would think that many have a difficult time to find an sp who is first willing, then able.

You have to be wheelchair or cart accessible, you may have to be able to deal with the hearing impaired, which could be challenging just because of buzzing them into your building :) These days with texting it would be easier, but a few years ago i had someone contact me using the TTS service from Telus, a 3rd party operator who read out and then typed out our conversation :) I had to provide full address, buzzer code and apartment number in advance, and he had to arrive right on schedule.

I have had wheelchair clients, but my location is challenging due to steeeeeeeep hills at the only entrance.

You may have to be willing to do outcalls for the disabled, for these kinds of reasons. And rates may be adjusted to accomodate for extra time.

That's funny. I used to have an incall on Scarlett Rd in Toronto a few years ago :)

What a sheer coincidence eh? LOL

Additional Comments:

Additional Comments:

I remember I watched an excellent movie called The Sessions which stars Helen Hunt a long while ago and it is about the man with an iron lungs who no longer wished to stay virgin. The movie is inspired by true story about Mark O'Brien who was paralyzed by polio and it forced him to have iron lung for life.

Here's the link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1866249/?ref_=nv_sr_1

The movie is available at the library. It does a good job explaining how to adjust for persons with mobility issues. The down side is that is implies that the SP falls in love with her client which is totally unprofessional.

I agree with Carriemoon, I don't think particular training is needed but certainly patience, understanding and an ability to listen is. I've met with men with different disabilities and had no issues with any of them. They were all lovely gentlemen and we worked together to achieve a fun and satisfying encounter.

• Like 1

I should have mentioned that I had fun dates with people with all sorts of different abilities. It can be fun to try different things to see what works for which person.

• Like 1

A few days ago I saw a tweet that @OMGFactsSex sent off on Twitter about the disabled people in Holland receiving funds for sex services 12 times a year by their government. Interesting eh.