As humans do we need this to become well rounded compasionate adults. Can we exist happily without it? Do we need the basic aspects of it, ie: to be needed, wanted, touched every so often, could we exist happily without it, or as humans is it a necessary to be "coupled" and loved by another-long term- to be "complete". Some say that humans are at the top of the pyramid because of our understanding of our emotions and needs for them. But do we really? Our emotions do not live in the rational part of our brain yet we are always trying to rationalize and understand them and then why were the first tests to demonstrate a need for love then done on monkeys?As a dog lover and owner I see the exhibition of love and their need for it on a daily basis. Other animals mourn the loss of their young, that is a form of love. I feel love IS a necessary for all beings we just display it differently and as humans perhaps put more importance on it than other species, we have actually made businesses of it. What's your opinion on the subject?

• Like 5

yes Love is a very tricky thing. Some people crave it and feel empty and lost without it. Others that feel that they've had it know how much it Hurts when its over. When Prince charming turns back into that frog (or that lady ends up being a witch. Whichever ;))

But there is unconditional love :) with your family, children or pets :) so for those people that feel empty with out love, look around. Call your mom, your sister or brother. Or cuddle up with your favorite fluffy animal. lol or if your like me, stand infront of the fish bowl and watch and talk to the fishy or even plants. Love can be shared in everything you hold dear t4533.gif

• Like 3

Personally, I think that love is essential for our well-being. It is human to want contact with others. Babies who get little physical contact often fail to thrive. Adults who are extremely isolated often develop serious physical and mental health problems.

One reason many people experience dogs as therapeutic is that dogs give their owners unconditional love and approval. A dog can be a remedy for depression for some people.

I also think that love isn't about heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, bouquets of flowers or poetry, though it may include them. Love is not that heart-thumping elation one might feel for a new partner, though it may include that, too. In some religious traditions there are commandments about love, loving neighbours, loving strangers and engaging in loving acts. Love can be commanded or required because, ultimately, love is not what we feel, it's what we do. It's how we treat others. Not just people we already care about and who have done good things for us, but people we don't know or have good reason not to like, care for or trust.

• Like 5

I believe it's an essential need and i couldn't live a complete life without it.

The love that you get from friends/familly/etc and the romantic love are two different things though. And both are very necessary.

Maybe not for everyone (some are happy alone or with flings), but in my case, yes i'd need to be loved by another-long term partner to feel complete.

• Like 1

Guest Ot**w***og****n

Deleted...too personal.

Edited by Ot**w***og****n
Deleted post.

I do not know about everyone else, but I can say I do need love. Do not ask me why I do not know, for there are times when I need it to survive. When I feel loved it not only calm and relieves the sorrows I carry but it help my self esteem and restore my will to live. When I'm down and depressed is when I need it the most, it help's keep suicidal thought away restoring my will to live. You see I suffer from depression and love is what I seek to thwart off all my sorrows. Whether it is real or not as long as I feel loved it helps. So maybe love is my drug, but I choose this over the alternatives. The positive feeling of being held has tremendous healing power over me. I cannot explain it nor do I know why? Maybe cause I was not loved as a baby or child? I do not know.

I would like to thank those who provide such services, to me it is so much more than an intimate time or sexual desire, real or not it heals. Maybe someday I'll be better and no longer need it but ill always want it.

Please do not be concerned and get the idea that I am at risk of suicide. I may have the desire In times of despair but am in complete control over my actions and do have professional help.

• Like 2

Love can come in many ways, physical contact is just a way of showing love to someone! we all love someone or something and we all receive love from someone ir something...

We all need it and we all receive it in different ways..., i think we all need them at some level, but for some of us a physical demostration such a hug or a kiss is more necesary or wanted...

Edited by P*****n****o
  • Like 1

I can say without question I need love in my life. It's important for me not only to share the good times but more importantly for support during the down times. That can come from family, friends, etc. or even from your pets. After a bad day at work, walking through the front door and being greeted by wagging tails and sloppy kisses from my 2 dogs puts me in a better mood instantly. And I think for many of us gentlemen on here, the same can be said for time we spend with the lovely ladies of cerb. To spend some quality time with a lady I've established a trust and connection with, leaves me smiling and happy for days. It's not love, but it's nice to be appreciated, accepted and made to feel special! And I love that feeling!

• Like 2

Love has to be one of the most amazing and fulfilling emotions there can possibly be. How else to describe such a deep emotional response that is centered not on yourself, but on the profound impact that another person has on you. You subsume yourself within your love for the other person. You become defined by them.

To be in love is quite simply the most wonderful thing imagineable. It completes your soul and allows your spirit to sing. I hope everyone finds their love.

Porthos

• Like 1

Just two answer the two last posts.

Love might be the most wonderfull thing.... but on the other hand, one-sided love or lack of love is one of the worst thing. And IMO that's an even bigger problem then loving more then one person.

Just two answer the two last posts.

Love might be the most wonderfull thing.... but on the other hand, one-sided love or lack of love is one of the worst thing. And IMO that's an even bigger problem then loving more then one person.

Very true Frank, lack of love is akin to lacking food and water. Love feeds our soul, gives us a reason to want to thrive, and without it I believe our confidence and selfworth are compromised and questioned.

Love is so enormously important. At its strongest it promises that you can transcend that fundamental human barrier: "maybe I'm not alone after all."

When romantic love is at its height, it's almost supernatural in its intensity and its power to transform our sense of who we are. Finding That Person feels like it's part of the awesome clockwork of the universe. "I've finally found my soul mate! She completes Me!" But over time, you realize... that's an illusion. She's just a human being, not the answer to the puzzle that is You. You MADE her into that ridiculously superhuman creature in your own mind. In the end yes, you care about each other, but she's not there by Fate.

Same with that overwhelming supernatural bond with children. "He's my perfect little darling baby! His love is absolute and unconditional! It's the wonder of reproduction! This completes Me!" ... until you discover that no, your child is actually a separate human being with his/her own ambitions, not just an extension of your own ego. You might wake up one morning to the sad discovery the the kid you thought was so wonderful is actually just another asshole, and you need to keep your distance.

Both of those feelings of love are overwhelming and wonderful while they last. You'd do ANYTHING for your girlfriend/boyfriend/son/daughter. But... that's just your reproductive faculties speaking. If you don't recover from the spell and get some perspective, then the object of your love can seize on that unquestioned commitment and manipulate you to your ruin. Your husband can treat you like crap or fritter away everything you own, but you'll stay because it's Fate and he's The One. Your kid can steal your car and rape and murder, but you'll mortgage your house and burn your savings for Him or Her because S/he is EVERYTHING to you. It's madness. It's your genes talking, and your genes are mindless idiots.

That said... I'm realistic but NOT cynical about love. I think it's fantastic and one of the most valuable and constructive emotions we have. Because we're NOT alone. Granted, that supernatural sense of transcendent connection is an illusion, but there is SOME connection with the people who do love you back, and that's critical.

In the end, love and its outcome is exactly what you make of it through your decisions and your actions. Be devoted to the people who care about you and who have proven themselves reliable. Do for them, as they do for you. Build a family, not based on shared genes or what you said 20 years ago in front of a priest, but with the people who year after year have proven themselves worthy of your commitment and devotion.

Don't live in solitude; it wastes the best part of being human. And love is the glue that keeps such human allies together.

"Those friends thou hast, and their adoption tried,

Grapple them to thy soul with hoops of steel."

(Oh, and dogs too. Naturally they're honorary human beings. But you knew that.)

Edited by MightyPen
  • Like 3