It's my understanding that this happens mostly in isolated Northern communities where stray dogs become a real danger to humans. Left to breed on their own strays's tend to pack up and are completely wild. What most dog owners forget is that domestic dogs are basically the same species as canus lupus. There is very little genetic difference. I've worked in a few fly-in communities where the FIRST thing we were told was don't walk alone outside at night or the dogs WILL get you. A traggic case of this was a child mauled to death in Cross Lake by a pack of wild dogs not that many years ago.

As barbaric as this practice seems, I understand the reasons for it. These are NOT pets that can be rehabilitated into loving homes. These dogs are 100% wild. Rounding them up to euthanize them would only put more humans in harms way. Sad to say the entire problem could be avoided through spaying and neutering pets in the first place. Unfortunately this is probably a very low priority for many in those communities.

As a dog owner and pet lover my self I hate to see this happen but I understand the need for it. The alternative is to let the packs grow to unmanageable sizes that put humans in real danger of being killed. I wouldn't be so quick to judge if you haven't experienced some of these places first hand. Once the sun falls all you hear is howling.

• Like 5

That is very true . The dogs in the northern communities can be a very real danger. Im speaking for what happens in the city ( very rare it happens but it does ) and in the outskirts of the city ( which is becoming more common)

• Like 1

I'm sorry but there is never an excuse for crulety or being inhumane never. Dogs don't become wild because they woke up one morning and decided to go crazy. Someone was breeding them, caring for them then stopped, let them go and they have to fend for themselves, their fault, nope, but they alone suffer the extreme consequences-death- and we cry pity us when we have to watch out for them or if they bite or attack, when and where do we begin to take the blame for what we cause to happen. Dogs wild or tame are about fight or flight and in most of all attacks/bites are done out of fear. You are right I haven't been to a remote community but I had a niece who lived in one for 2+ years . She rescued and adoted a few dogs and did talk alot about the problems there with strays and how dogs were treated, it was hard to hear. But I don't care what the lifestyle, community, country or custom, cruelty is unacceptable and not the action of a rational, normal person.

I am a believer that any dog can be rehabilitated given the right trainer and and training, but in those cases that will never happen. Dogs aren't thought of as pets but disposable property, away to earn money, transportation. In spite of that when they have to be put down it needs to be down in a more humane way. We are humans after all not butchers full of blood lust or are we!

I know in the states there are far more kill shelters because of higher numbers, obviously and their methods of euthanization are also brutal. They pile as many dogs into metal containers and gas them and it isn't the type of gas that causes you to just fall asleep, it is a painful death for them. When that batch is suffocated they dump another dozen or so dogs ontop of them and repeat, when the container is full it's dumped into a garbage truck, 25-30 dogs at a time-todays garbage. When are we ever going to advance and realize these animals have feelings much like ours and deserve respect, kind treatment and much more than we give them now. It seems that there are still so many that are heartless or of the opinion if it's not human it doesn't matter. I say if you can't relate and be empathetic towards another species then you are not human! Dogs and animal crulety are subjects near and dear to my heart so it is very hard for me to discuss these topics and be calm I hope I succeeded this time.

• Like 3

Additional Comments:

I'm sorry but there is never an excuse for crulety or being inhumane never. Dogs don't become wild because they woke up one morning and decided to go crazy. Someone was breeding them, caring for them then stopped, let them go and they have to fend for themselves, their fault, nope, but they alone suffer the extreme consequences-death- and we cry pity us when we have to watch out for them or if they bite or attack, when and where do we begin to take the blame for what we cause to happen. Dogs wild or tame are about fight or flight and in most of all attacks/bites are done out of fear. You are right I haven't been to a remote community but I had a niece who lived in one for 2+ years . She rescued and adoted a few dogs and did talk alot about the problems there with strays and how dogs were treated, it was hard to hear. But I don't care what the lifestyle, community, country or custom, cruelty is unacceptable and not the action of a rational, normal person.

I am a believer that any dog can be rehabilitated given the right trainer and and training, bit in those cases that will never happen. Dogs aren't thought of as pets but disposable property, away to earn money, transportation. In spite of that when they have to be put down it needs to be down in a more humane way. We are humans after all not butchers full of blood lust or are we!

I know in the states there are far more kill shelters because of higher numbers, obviously and their methods of euthanization are also brutal. They pile as many dogs into metal containers and gas them and it isn't the type of gas that causes you to just fall asleep, it is a painful death for them. When that batch is suffocated they dump another dozen or so dogs ontop of them and repeat, when the container is full it's dumped into a garbage truck, 25-30 dogs at a time-todays garbage. When are we ever going to advance and realize these animals have feelings much like ours and deserve respect, kind treatment and much more than we give them now. It seems that there are still so many that are heartless or of the opinion if it's not human it doesn't matter. I say if you can't relate and be empathetic towards another species then you are not human! Dogs and animal crulety are subjects near and dear to my heart so it is very hard for me to discuss these topics and be calm I hope I succeeded this time.

I agree completely with you. And to be honest i am against any kind of hard towards animals . there are other and more humane ways of dealing with issues regarding them. i'm trying to keep an open mind in regardes to all replies regarding my thread . I respect everyones opinions even if i dont't agree with them. im on the same level of thinking as you are though , no excuse
  • Like 2

No dog that hasn't been imprinted on by humans as a very young puppy can be rehabilitated as a pet. It sucks but those 2nd and 3rd generation wild dogs are just that, wild. They are as close to a wolf pack as you can get without being wolves. Try and turn a full grown wolf into a pet that has never been around humans. It doesn't work. There's a big difference between a stray and a pack of wild dogs. One can be rescued, the other can't. It sucks but the only answer is to put them down if they are a threat to people and to properly spay and neuter pets so that the problem doesn't come back.

• Like 4

No dog that hasn't been imprinted on by humans as a very young puppy can be rehabilitated as a pet. It sucks but those 2nd and 3rd generation wild dogs are just that, wild. They are as close to a wolf pack as you can get without being wolves. Try and turn a full grown wolf into a pet that has never been around humans. It doesn't work. There's a big difference between a stray and a pack of wild dogs. One can be rescued, the other can't. It sucks but the only answer is to put them down if they are a threat to people and to properly spay and neuter pets so that the problem doesn't come back.

I appreciate your points and agree spaying and neuturing would solve alot but rehabilitating feral dogs is possible and so is taming a wolf, it's been done.A dog is a dog not a wolf, wild or not. I've also seen this done with wild horses. Working with something feral takes the right trainer, time and a whole lot of patience. But it can be done. Especially if you can get them as pups. But I don't want to argue that point, we all have our beliefs and opinions, my problem is with how these animals are being destroyed, there has to be a better, more humane way.Thanks for your post and reply.

• Like 2

Wild or not, you don't leave a living being wounded to die slowly over hours. days or even weeks..... There are surely more humane options than leaving these dogs with wounds to slowly die from like the pictures one can find on Paw Tipsters or Northern Manitoba pet rescue.

How would we like it if this happened to us?

• Like 2

......zilch......

I'm not saying that this isn't a worthwhile discussion, but maybe the Mod could repost this to the General Discussion board?

Just sayin'.. happy pooning folks!!