I would exactly call myself a wine connoisseur, but I do enjoy it very much. I know there are some ladies out there who love nothing more than to curl up with glass of their favourite red. I've thought about bringing wine to an encounter, but I have a few questions.

Ladies, do you even like it when men bring wine to your encounters? I know you'll require the bottle be opened in front of you, but all the same, is it a bit cheesy? Guys do you think you'll actually loosen a woman up for your encounter, or is it more for loosening yourself up. An icebreaker?

I'm not too up on the subtleties of wine. My favourite wine is a $14 Argentine malbec I buy all the time. Ladies, would you (honestly, now) roll your eyes if a guy brought you a wine that you knew was cheap? Not to expose anyone's standards, but how much would you expect a guy to pay for a bottle of wine for an encounter (I'd like to get an answer other than "Oh, its lovely that you brought anything at all. It's the thought that counts." I want some high class nose turning here!!)

And I'd also just like to get some suggestions on your favourite wines. What wine would you be over the moon about if a guy brought it to an encounter.

All right, I know I'm pushing some buttons here, but I'd love some honest answers!! Guys, love your input too!

First always wise to ask.

I've seen a few ladies who don't drink alcohol or perhaps not on dates. If that is the case then that is the end of me questioning about it. But I might then ask if she likes juice, water, or other drink. Also depends on outcall vs incall. Generally if a lady is coming to see me I feel like the host and like to have something to offer her. But as said earlier good to know what she likes.

If visiting her the dynamic changes, but just slightly. I would always ask; Can I bring anything? A bottle of wine? Red or White? Any preference? I also like to visit with regular ladies so I get to know their likes and then that provides a starting place with which I can vary from.

As most things communications is key.

Best of adventure.

Cub

• Like 1

I'm not too up on the subtleties of wine. My favourite wine is a $14 Argentine malbec I buy all the time. Ladies, would you (honestly, now) roll your eyes if a guy brought you a wine that you knew was cheap? encounter.

Most of my favourite wines are in the $14-20 range, so price is not always a factor in the quality of wine. As Cub mentioned, some ladies prefer not to drink alcohol, so it's always a nice gesture to ask ahead of time.

• Like 1

I love wine and offer my clients a drink, snacks, or even a meal, especially on longer appointments. Thats part of the session-hospitality. Of course I have other beverages on hand. I feel part of making someone feel comfortabe and relaxed is to feed all their senses and for some gentlemen that means a nice glass of wine. I love when a gentleman brings a bottle but they are perfectly welcome to choose for me as I love to try a new one. Two of my favorite reds are Chateauneuf du pape, and one that is a little less pricey is clancy's which is a blend. For a white I think the Italians make the better pino's, but most pino grigios will be enjoyable to me.

• Like 2

Best advice?

Find out her preferences (Red, White or Rose) then go with what you know and like. It's easier to choose something that you know than offer her something that neither of you have ever tasted and then be disappointed and embarrassed.

A nice mid range red is the J. Lohr 7 Oaks - it's a full bodied red, Cabernet Sauvignon from California - delicious little find that the LCBO stocks all the time now.

If you are looking for an Italian blend, try a mid range Ripasso - it's Valpolicella that has been strained through Amarone skins - a medium to full bodied red with lots of flavour. It's not as hearty as an Amarone but has more bite than the Valpolicella...

• Like 2

Well, wifey's a sommelier so I'm exposed to a very broad range of wines regularly and I'm doing the ISG myself for fun. First off I'll pass along what I heard right from the lips of Wolfgang Blass when asked about what wine is best. He said, "The best wine is the one that's in front of you!". Too often wine drinking gets caught up in pretentious airs of people trying to impress each other with the "la-de-da" of it all. I've been in the company of these type of people way to many times.

I have had $2000 bottles of wine that I could just barely stomach, $14 bottles that I loved and everything in between. Bottom line if you like it, you like it and that's all that matters.

All that said, Malbec's from Argentina are great wines and in those I personally prefer the 2011 Don David about $16 per bottle and they also have a nice Tannat a little more dry for about the same price. In reds my favorite is a 2005 Chateau Brown from Bordeaux about $90 a bottle(its a little hard to get). However as a point of note any Bordeaux wines from 2005 will be better than any other year and slightly more expensive.

I love whites more than reds and in whites my fav are Rieslings and the best I'v ever had is a 2009 Trisaetum from Oregon.

I love Ports too!

Actually I love them all!

• Like 2

I am always flattered when someone brings wine to our date. Its the thought that counts and not the price tag on the bottle.

If I want to drink a particular bottle I will have it on hand to offer. When you bring wine it is like a gift, so being grateful is what matters.

• Like 4

When I'm hosting, which is the case in most of my encounters, I contact the lady ahead of time and ask her what she would like to drink. Me, I can't drink, but ladies might like a social glass of wine while we are sitting together conversing, getting to know one another or re-connecting if a repeat encounter. A couple notes. First, always, always open the bottle in front of the lady. Even with ladies I have seen on repeat encounters, I open the bottle in front of them. Second, I don't use wine to loosen up the lady. Wine may be a drink to offer, maybe it's just water. In my hotel room I make sure there is also water and juice on hand too.

A morning rambling

RG

• Like 2

I never expect it, but it's always a nice gesture when someone brings a bottle of wine to share, especially for longer visits. I don't think of it being about loosening up so much as a nice way to start an evening, but I'd be just as happy to sit down over a cup of coffee. I think it's often more about the act of sitting down, having a conversation, taking your time and building anticipation than what we're actually drinking.

A few years ago, I had a close friend who also loved wine and we both wanted to learn more about it, but didn't necessarily have the time or budget for a formal tasting class. So we would read the weekly wine section in the Globe & Mail, pick out one that was under fifteen dollars (we were on student budgets!), and sit down together and drink it. It was a great way to explore, and we discovered some delicious wines. If you're at a loss, that's a great place to find inspiration. I still check there often when I want something new!

• Like 2

I enjoy bringing something with me to an appointment as I feel uncomfortable showing up empty handed. If it's wine or some other beverage, while I will try to find out the lady's preference, I will choose something that is new to me (and hopefully her) or a wine or single malt that I suspect she might enjoy.

Having said that, I have no expectation that the wine (or whatever I've brought) will be served during my visit. It is offered as a gift, and once gifted, it is totally up to her whether or not she wants to open it with me or save it for another time that may or may not include me. The pleasure for me is in the giving (and not just a bottle :icon_wink:), any sharing after that is an unexpected bonus.

• Like 1

I generally like red wines in the $15 zone.

Wines I like:

Sibling Rivalry

Fat Bastard

Yellow Tail

• Like 1