Making lists; HTML code

Sometimes I write long posts. Okay, I write long posts a bit too often! When I want to make some specific points, the bullet list option seems good to me. It's less demanding and "rankish" than a numbered list. But it doesn't seem to work here. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I know that what I'm doing is making an "unordered list." Once the list button is clicked, it should start a new line, with a new bullet, every time. At the end of the list, pressing Enter twice should bring the list to an end. But the bullets don't appear reliably. I've tried to work around it, with no better success. Sometimes I get a list that's partially bulletted, but most of the time, just [--] instead, and sometimes two or three of those.

The post box doesn't like posts with HTML in them. Revealing the page source isn't helping me figure this out, either.

This is not a terribly important problem. No one's life, future or even business concerns really depend on this. I'm just a little OCD about things like this....

--------

Just found the BB code instructions/listing for this site here. It doesn't however explain why there is a problem with bulleted lists.

--------

Hello Samantha:

I have experienced similar issues with the bullet functions and code. It seems some areas of the board have these basic features turned off. My usual method of creating a message is to write the message off-line using voice dictation, then add in the code by hand and paste the entire message at once into the reply box for the particular thread.

Health issues have meant that I had been off-line for the better part of the year, however I am certain these basic features worked when I initially joined. It is likely that there's been a policy change or a software update to the site. So, here's an open request:

Please Mr./ Ms. moderator or other layout inclined users, a cheat sheet (for lack of a better term) would be much appreciated listing what codes we cannot use for both BB code and HTML

Just the other day I had to redo a nicely laid out message specifically for the very same reasons you have. The "list" command had been disallowed, and while the message was still quite readable, it was not as clear overall.

Take care,

PatrickGC

PS: The BB code and HTML links lead to feature listings for each language for the curious out there :)

Edited by PatrickGC
An update.
  • Like 1

It's likely there's a CSS reset somewhere on this site. This is common now, where the author of the site will make a rule for ordered lists to behave a different way, they will meet their requirements. Is probably an oversight that its affecting the forum, so the only thing to do is write inline CSS, which is a hassle.