It allows me to appreciate and savor the distinct aroma of my farts.

So I'm not the only one who cups farts with hand and quickly brings hand to nose and then deeply inhales? :P

• Like 1

I love it now.

It was tough immediately after the divorce - but the more comfortable I became with the premise of living on my own after years of being married, the more selfish I have become. Selfish in this context is not a bad thing - I regained the man I was before having to conform to the wants, needs and demands of others.... and it may seem rather self centred to say, but I really like the real me.

That being said, the downfall of the life I have fostered is one that does not lend itself well to a relationship. My closest friends, some of the best people that I have ever held close in my life, are men and women from this industry. I don't think I could ever shut them out for a chance at being half of a couple; the happiness that I have experienced in the last few years is something that would take an extraordinary woman to shun.

So... I live the amazing life of a single guy, surrounded by friends that I adore, spending time doing what I wish to do, and knowing that when we need each other we will be there for one another.

It's a very very good thing.

• Like 4

Interesting. While writing this response I became aware that what is meant by "living alone" can vary dramatically from person-to-person and indeed is influenced by a large number of factors. Apologies if it is a little off topic.

Choosing to live alone does require that one knows themselves. In order for myself to be truly creative requires periods of solitude, in order to focus on the project at hand. From time to time even my closest friends have been, politely, "shown the door". It is definitely not a lifestyle choice for everyone, and perhaps in the final analysis, no one truly lives alone for extended periods of time. Even a monk or nine as a social network within their respective monasteries.

Presumably, people replying to this thread are not doing so from some cloistered Abby :), so perhaps choosing this lifestyle is an attempt to create that personal space, not so much because you can do your own thing, but because it is cannot be intruded upon easily. A personal space which is incredibly well defined by walls and the door.

I would not be surprised if among those people that can afford it, that the number of persons living alone by choice is on the rise. However, because we are so interconnected with technology, is anyone ever truly living alone, or by their own timetable? For me the choice it is to enforce a sacred space so I can be creative. And occasionally I have for a few days at a time, pulled the plug on the Internet.

PatrickGC

• Like 1