To celebrate mothers, and the upcoming mothers day I thought I'd start a thread in their honor. Tell us about yours and how you spend mothers day.

My mother is, so I think, the best cook in the world. She is extremely generous, selfless, smart, independent, beautiful, and really the only person who I fully trust and feel completely safe around. I talk to her everyday, it is important to me to hear her voice often as it's comforting and grounds me. Her advice is always right and her wisdom is priceless. I think she is the most important person in the world.

Mothers, what would we do without them. They teach us, guide us and would go to the ends of the earth for their children. There is nothing like a mothers love. :)

• Like 8

Since I cannot honour my mother nor would I. I would like to take the opportunity to wish the good caring mothers out there who love their children and would do anything for them. Raising them, loving them and everything else a mother should do. Thank you! I wish you a happy Mother's Day.

• Like 2

My mother was a high school teacher in a time where it was still expected of her to run a decent home and at the very least have a darn nice supper. I don't know how she did it but every night we had a full meal that included, roast, chicken, pork chops etc. This was always served with potatoes and several veggies and of course no meal was complete without gravy. Don't forget pie and ice cream.

I remember each night she had at least a few hours homework getting ready for the next, correcting papers and making lesson plans. This went on until late in the evening and then it was bedtime, help two girls with their problems and get our lunches ready.

We were not a family that had cereal and toast for breakfast either, it was bacon, eggs, pancakes. My father was a man that expected a lot and it was given cheerfully.

These were also some hard time financially, two daughters in high school and trying to save a bit for out university. I have a very vivid memory of looking at my mothers clothing, she did not have much for a woman in her position and it was all to put nice things on her girls. She could not afford it but somehow we all looked pretty good.

My mother is getting older now and I was home just last week. Perhaps here is not the gourmet meals once served but there is a stack of money on the table for us to go out and but exactly what we would like.

We now have a 9 year old in our family and I see the same generosity and patience shown to him. My mother sits with him, helps him with his homework and encouraged his gifts in the same manner she did was us.

My mother is timeless and can counted on to be there for me in whatever capacity I need her for.

Thank you Mom!!

• Like 4

My Mom is a warrior. She protected me like a grizzly, made excellent meals, taught me to respect women always, smacked me in the mouth if I needed it, saved me from an older pedophile when I was 7, at Central Station in Montreal, Had to sit through endless parent teacher/principal interviews, and STILL loves her little boy (48 6'3 265). She has had 5 strokes and is in a home, but is still the matriarch of our family. She battles everyday, and never gives in. She is my hero, and Im am a proud Mommas Boy!!!

• Like 2

Guest Ot**w***og****n

I love mothers...sadly, mine's been gone for more than 20 years now...still miss her and love her.

Guest C**Tra****er

Sadly this will be the 3rd mother's day since my mom passed away. She was incredibly intelligent, savvy, kind hearted and had a take no shit from anybody attitude that served as well as kids and still today as adults. She always knew what the right advice was and left us with a work ethic that told us that we could achieve anything that we desired if we were willing to do the work. My mom taught me manners, respect for women and how to be a good person. There's so much to say about her and so little space.

I miss her dearly.

My dad stood 6'4"... my mom is barely 5 feet tall. Of the two, mom scared the hell out of all of us.... but never was there a woman so fiercely protective of her sons, and likewise her sons of her.

She was and is a very bright lady with a wicked sense of humour, and now that we are adults she shocks us with the tales of our father's inability to be a man when it counted. We always knew who was in control of our family - and my dad cowered in her presence.

She was a trailblazer. In the 60's when a lot of women were shaking off the shackles of domestic servitude, my mom was already a success. She balanced a home with four rambunctious sons and was one of the very few female public school principals in the province. She probably just gave the school board the same look she used to give her sons and they were sufficiently frightened by her... regardless, she was an exemplary educator and administrator and is still remembered by her students.

My mom gave us all a sense of pride in who we were and are, a sense of loyalty to family and friends and an appreciation of living happily in whatever circumstance in which we find ourselves. She is the glue that holds us all together... and in the end, she made us all better by being the woman she is.

Love ya mom!

• Like 1

Sadly, my mother and I have NEVER gotten along to the heartache of my pa. My mama (pronounced mahmah, dads mom) was the nurturing matriarch in our family until her demise. I try so hard to reach out to no avail.

The only good part of our relationship is that I have been very supportive of my son, my stepsons, my nieces, nephews and the youngins of my cousins. I am the go to "mom" to all of them and that makes me feel blessed. Heck, I even have gotten close to the neighbors kids that I have known since birth. I am known as auntie. My mothers coldness kinda shaped my to be a caring person...is that f'd up? Lol.

• Like 1

397799_483247678415038_1704580213_n.jpg

While my mother doesn't drink, and would be mortified at the thought, she would agree to the sentiments of this sign, lol. Thanks OD for another good laugh.