I thought I saw a thread on reputation points, whereby new members had way more points than long time contributors. I couldn't find it again, but checked a few new members, and yes, wow, over 10,000 points.

Took me probably 3 years to get to there, and at one time, I even had negative points, wtf. Guess that's what happens when you give your view, even if it isn't popular with everybody.

Anyways, not even sure if reputation points give you any privileges, but to me they have very little value, and I would say this pretty much confirms that. I remember one time, there was a period of reputation points gone wild too, when they were going up exponentially for some people...

Anyway, while it might not seem quite right, reputation points aren't something to get too excited about.

• Like 1

Guest Ot**w***og****n

Although I'm not a long time person here I've noticed that some people have only two or three posts yet have 5,000 or even 10,000 points. I don't quite get it really as there's people who have been here for a very long time and have posted a lot who have about the same or maybe just a little more in the way of these points and green/gold icons. Personally, I go by the quality of the person's posts and leave it pretty much at that regardless if they've been here two days or two years.

This may be the thread you were looking for General. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49126

Thanks, that's the old thread, which included the reputation points gone wild....lol I was sure the one I saw was created today or perhaps yesterday.

Although I'm not a long time person here I've noticed that some people have only two or three posts yet have 5,000 or even 10,000 points. I don't quite get it really as there's people who have been here for a very long time and have posted a lot who have about the same or maybe just a little more in the way of these points and green/gold icons. Personally, I go by the quality of the person's posts and leave it pretty much at that regardless if they've been here two days or two years.

This may be the thread you were looking for General. http://www.cerb.ca/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=49126

I noticed the same thing, and contacted Mod about it. I was informed that the reputation points have been re-calibrated, which explains some of the anomalies. Also, the system is not perfect, and there are a few glitches. For instance, while I have over 24,000 points, I still lost the last two orange squares on the rep bar. However, bear in mind that what's really important is what we the members give back to Cerb by way of our contributions - thoughts, ideas, opinions and recommendations. Let's all strive to make Cerb the best possible community it can be, and while we're at it, stop worrying about trivial things like a rep bar. Just my two cents.

• Like 1

I agree it is trivial, and has certainly been trivialize, but as someone mentioned, some people look at reputation points to judge the credit worthiness of a poster. If you haven't hardly posted and have strong reputation points, that can be misleading. Maybe they should just be turned off and eliminated all together, if they have no value.

I noticed the same thing, and contacted Mod about it. I was informed that the reputation points have been re-calibrated, which explains some of the anomalies. Also, the system is not perfect, and there are a few glitches. For instance, while I have over 24,000 points, I still lost the last two orange squares on the rep bar. However, bear in mind that what's really important is what we the members give back to Cerb by way of our contributions - thoughts, ideas, opinions and recommendations. Let's all strive to make Cerb the best possible community it can be, and while we're at it, stop worrying about trivial things like a rep bar. Just my two cents.
  • Like 2

I agree it is trivial, and has certainly been trivialize, but as someone mentioned, some people look at reputation points to judge the credit worthiness of a poster. If you haven't hardly posted and have strong reputation points, that can be misleading. Maybe they should just be turned off and eliminated all together, if they have no value.

I do understand your point of view, especially since I started at the bottom almost five years ago and had to earn every single point (in 20 point increments, no less!) I was merely suggesting that we should not get hung up on appearances, and focus on what really matters. However, in the interest of fairness - perhaps mod could top up the senior member's rep points. In other words, if new members are accorded 5000 points, while older members were not afforded this luxury then long time members should now receive a "bonus" 5000 points, or whatever the number happens to be, to even things out. How does that sound?

• Like 3

Guess that would be one way to try and address it, not really sure there is a perfect way, but it wouldn't be bad.

Guess that would be one way to try and address it, not really sure there is a perfect way, but it wouldn't be bad.

Yes, and I also want to say that you were quite correct in pointing out that too many rep points too soon for newer members may skew the perception of credit worthiness. It's a very valid point, and should be considered.

Additional Comments:

Ultimately, it will be up to the Mod / Council on how to best proceed, but judging from the responses in two threads so far, I feel it merits some debate.

• Like 2

For myself, I don't pay attention to it at all, I know the individuals that are quite worthy of more then their status-points etc etc where others have ballooned just way off the charts.

I think the only I remember reading was your power level, far right in the 3 sequences of numbers, I think I'm around 185-190 which is power level? So I give and spread my points to those that are new to the board when they contribute or if it is a MA/SP I will for their ad.

Those that have been given a god status since inception of the point system was at a time where the system was not calibrated correctly it was actually getting out of control IMHO. Some of us actually lost our God status and now have the 10,000 points or more status, but seriously I think it is also trivial as well.

It needs tweaking,it does need to be debated within Mod and council in my opinion. Perhaps a format like twitter "favourite" a post with nothing attached to it.

Yes, and I also want to say that you were quite correct in pointing out that too many rep points too soon for newer members may skew the perception of credit worthiness. It's a very valid point, and should be considered.

Additional Comments:

Ultimately, it will be up to the Mod / Council on how to best proceed, but judging from the responses in two threads so far, I feel it merits some debate.

• Like 3