Any safe, reliable careers in todays shaky job market?

So I'm currently looking at alternative career options again (*sigh* Thought I was done with job hunting). It's become apparent to me that the company I am currently with is a sinking ship. People leaving and retiring and the company not even bothering to fill their positions is usually not a good sign. And I just learned this week that my current term position didn't get renewed so I have to revert back to doing a job I absolutely despise (call centre BS), with no guarantee that I will ever be able to transfer out of that position again. And I know I cannot do call centre stuff for another 20 years until I retire (or until the company goes belly up, whichever comes first). I just can't do it. I worked in a call centre for 8 years when I first started with this company and it drove me to drink...literally. I can't go back to that.

So even though I realize that quitting a very well paying job where I have managed to acquire a fair amount of seniority, is probably not a good idea. Especially with today's shaky job market. That's where I'm at. I haven't completely decided to quit but I'm looking around for an alternative.

Problem being I don't know the first thing about today's job market. Aside that it's shaky. I don't know what would be a safe bet. Obviously I'm not looking to land my dream job, but I'd be satisfied with doing something I don't completely despise lol.

So after my long winded intro lol, my question is this....what are some safe, reliable markets where the industry is actually growing? Where there's a relatively safe bet I won't get laid off in the first year and advancement and long term employment (ie, to retirement) is actually a possibility.

Feel free to PM me if need be.

Thanks, everyone! :)

Hi, first let me say I'm sorry for your predicament as its never easy to make such a decision to change jobs or careers. The markets that seem to be thriving are those in IT, Engineering and medical fields, medical sales in particular. Without knowing your qualifications its hard to recommend something in particular though, I did provide a link to those jobs that are apparently dying out. It also depends on where you live as in some places development/construction is doing very well as are all the tradespeople involved. I was told in Newfoundland that tradespeople are so in demand that they can leave one job and be hired on another the following day, but again that's hear say. I wish you best the of luck:)

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/13/opinion/careers-tomorrow-townsend

• Like 1

A tough situation for sure. I'd recommend you invest in seeing a career counsellor/head hunter, to get some advice about your skills and how they fit into the current job market.

I'd also say that in today's job market you likely need to be prepared to either invest in some skill development or possibly relocate. I see lots of people who don't succeed because they insist on staying put and refuse to move/relocate to other parts of the country.

Christy is quite right that NL has one of the fastest growing economies in the country right now and a shortage of skilled workers.

• Like 2

Let me echo what Cristy said earlier regarding the construction trades. There is a severe shortage of qualfied skilled tradespeople through out Canada. Specifically the carpentry,pipefitting,and welding trades. If you are hardworking,relialable,and skilled,even as a first year apprentice,,you will have NO trouble finding work!!

• Like 2

Move to the Philippines (where half of the call centers are located these days), open a call center, poach your current employer's customer list (so what if you signed a non-competition agreement...that ain't no good in Phils), sit back and manage an office full of beauties while sipping San Miguel! ;-) Calling all CERB investors!

• Like 1

There are lots of safe and growing sectors in today's economy, and within those sectors there is a wide variety of jobs.

You really have to be honest with yourself about:

-What are you good at?

-What do you like doing?

-How much do you want to work (in terms of hours in the day)? Do you work to live, or live to work?

-What training and skills do you have?

-What training and skills are you prepared to obtain?

Once you figure out those things, you'll be able to think more specifically about sectors and jobs you want to research.

As previously mentioned, there is a shortage in skilled labour across the country. People in the trades (plumbers, electricians etc) can make a good living.

A lot of jobs are coming the demographic shift in our country. An aging population will require increased health care and retirement homes.

I know a lot of people who have made a good living in buying franchises (such as Tim Horton's, Subway, Dairy Queen). I have gained a lot of second hand knowledge from my friends who have made their living running these businesses and if you want to know more, just ask.

There are also a shortages in day cares for children in many parts of the country. If you're great with kids, this might be a business to consider.

• Like 1

Well sir,

First off, I offer my sympathies. As we get older it gets more and more difficult (not to mention irritating) to start from square one again. Sorry to hear about your situation dude :(

As explorer69 stated, there's plenty of work out in Fort Macmurray.

A close friend of mine from Nova Scotia has been able to provide his family with a much more stable life by going to the oil fields than he ever could have back home. I guess you just have to ask yourself if you're willing to travel west and do that sort of work with a clear conscience, otherwise it probably is not for you ;)

Or perhaps looking into some sort of schooling or other courses in a different field from the one you are currently in might be the way to go?

• Like 1

First, there's never any really reliable job. There's always the risk of someone or a company outbidding you in private sector. Government jobs used to be what was the most secure..... but we saw what happened with the public function in Ottawa.

A few tips though:

1) There is more jobs if you're willing to move. Everyone fight for the big cities job, but they often have trouble finding people for small villages.

2)Aim for something essential. Specialy if it's not long lasting (like buildings). Health, food, water, etc will always be needed.

3)Skilled trades have lots of opening usually, specially if you're willing to be on call or work evening, night and weekend shifts.

• Like 1

Very sorry about your predicament it is not a happy place to be especially if you happen to be in the forty to fifty age group where many people are today and are experiencing this type of crisis, and given that I am not sure how much Loyalty and hard work are really valued any more it can be very confusing

From everything I have read you are receiving a wealth of very good advice from experienced and concerned friends who know the facts and it is up to you wish to absorb all this great advice and comments and decide as best you can what exactly really applies to your personal situation interests and desires and what you can use to begin sketching out a clear road map for the future, but try keeping it simple and your goals realistic and attainable, try not overreach so to speak as I did regrettably during a similar period in my work life.

Look within and network, network, network.

I wish you the very best in overcoming this unpleasant dilemma and for your future success.

ngate

I'm just going to echo what most of the guys have been saying. That is to explore what you are suited for and good at and be willing to relocate if necessary. That seems to be the hardest part for lots of guys. Moving away from family and friends is extremely difficult. I did it 3 years ago and it hasn't been an easy ride. I do have the benefit of a trade and am skilled at what I do. I also was fortunate enough to have relatives in this area who put me up until I got settled. But the biggest thing is employers are desperate for any skilled workers here in the northwest. If you are willing to invest the time and have any skill set, there is lots of work to be had and lots more to come.

I would add to the post about Ft Mac and Sask that all across northern Ab and BC the job market is good. Not only construction trades but if willing or able to drive truck, work in the oil patch or even the spin-off from the oil patch and construction. Plenty of clerical and technical people needed as well and they pay top dollar if you can get in the right company. Maybe a little extra education or training needed but well worth it, imo.

P.S. One thing that goes along with all the jobs and big wages is the cost of living is a little steep so it is a trade-off, to a degree.