Not that there's much information about me there (yet), but I also just changed my profile privacy to registered members only. That will probably make me feel a little more comfortable about putting more info there. :D

Thanks so much for the thread and the info!

• Like 1

Guest webothscore

Within the context of CERB, I am not sure I understand the difference between public and private profile privacy. Isn't anyone in Cerb a registered user to begin with? Maybe public means public outside of cerb? That I would understand. In fact, before joining cerb, I came across an sp that has lots of info out there so I called her up one day and we spent an hour together. After I learned about cerb and joined, I had quite the smile because I realized her popularity only then. I understand the "friends only" can see option (mine is not set on that). I would like only cerb members to see . So, should it be set on public or private? I am thinking private. Thanks. BTW, great thread Cristy!

Unfortunately- I have my profile set to private. You must add me as a friend before having access to my page. IF I could hand select specific people of threat or disinterest that I could block I would have kept my profile public and only blocked the few people I rather not have access to anything about me. Some people linger on your page with a hidden agenda or follow the contacts/messages you leave between guestbooks, Some people I just do not like.... etc etc. Until the option of being able to ignore chosen poisonous type people (Usually not even clients) My Profile Will Remain Private. Feel free to add me or message me tho ;)

Those are very good points and for them I get why you or anyone would want to set it as private. It would be nice to be able to hand select who we could block, as I have blocked some but they still had the ability to visit my page?? However I still feel if you(meaning anyone) want to and are going to visit my page allow me the ability to look at yours or else I'll have suspicions .

Guest D***el B***e
What is really kinda creepy, a guy changes his handle to become someone else (re-invents himself... why? I will never know unless there is a lot too hide), than blocks everyone (except his allowed friends I guess), but creeps your profile....I find that very weird.

I realize it may look creepy if someone changes his/her profile but sometimes there may be a very valid and normal reason behind it. I did just that recently, changing from "Al from Quebec" to "Daniel Boone" and for no other reasons than never liking my original handle in the first place. You gotta admit "Al from Quebec" is pretty dorky, let alone opening the possibility of being 'discovered' over time.

When I joined Cerb over seven years ago (yes, seven), I had no idea what this site was all about, I just wanted to browse ads and find a few providers I could see over time, nothing more, never thinking I would someday become more involved and contribute to various posts. I'm not much in the social networking like facebook, instagram, twitter and all the other sites so my reason for signing up on Cerb in the first place was very innocent ... I needed a provider to fulfill certain needs I don't have at home. It was a simple as that. That's why I was a lurker for most of that time.

Over the last 4-6 months or so I have started posting and PMing with various people, made a number of very fine Cerb friends, but I always hated my handle. I certainly thought about the negative perception that changing a handle would entail but it came to a point where I was becoming uncomfortable using "Al from Quebec".

I have absolutely nothing to hide, my profile, friends and details are open to all registered members and my guestbook is open to everyone. Even my profile text refers to my former handle. It may look creepy to some, but there's usually a reason behind everything.

I realize the ladies on this site are primarily here to advertise, make friends, get to know potential new customers before meeting, and tease and entice existing customers to repeat. All this sets a certain level of comfort with a provider by knowing their clients first and also provides comfort amongst providers. Men, on the hand, are here for multiple purposes and that's where the problem lies most of the time. Yes there are many good folks on this board, but there's always a rotten apple somewhere that ruins it for everybody. I don't think changing a handle should target you as a bad apple.

I had to reply on this thread because I felt somewhat targeted and wanted to provide my perspective. If you look back at my posts over time, I don't think there's a lot of creepyness in them (is that a word?), I even like to think I built up a decent reputation but if it means that because I changed my handle I have an uphill climb to regain whatever I lost then so be it, I'm comfortable with that.

People should be able to see through a basic name and get a sense of the real person by the posts they have and the comments they make. I know who I am, and I'm no creep ...

In terms of the content of this thread, people may have all kinds of reasons for not wanting to have others see their profile, but I don't spend much time thinking about it. For a provider it may be different and may raise a question or two about the real motive behind a person. That's where your instinct comes in. I too sometime visit people's profile only to be told I can't ... Oh well, I move on ... no big deal for me. It doesn't mean they're creepy though.

Just my 2-cents ...

DB!

It would be nice to be able to hand select who we could block, as I have blocked some but they still had the ability to visit my page??

Sounds like the blocking functionality is screwed up to me. I'd have assumed that this was pretty high on the list of things it'd do. May be worth asking Mod about this?

I realize it may look creepy if someone changes his/her profile but sometimes there may be a very valid and normal reason behind it. I did just that recently

For future reference (and anyone else who may be thinking about doing this), the best way is just to drop Mod a PM and he'll change your handle for you. That way you get to keep the account, post history, friends, reputation, etc. AFAIK that's actually less work for Mod than creating a new account, because many people who create new accounts when they already have existing ones do so for nefarious reasons (they've been suspended, or maybe they've got a deservedly bad reputation with the ladies).

• Like 2

For future reference (and anyone else who may be thinking about doing this), the best way is just to drop Mod a PM and he'll change your handle for you. That way you get to keep the account, post history, friends, reputation, etc. AFAIK that's actually less work for Mod than creating a new account, because many people who create new accounts when they already have existing ones do so for nefarious reasons (they've been suspended, or maybe they've got a deservedly bad reputation with the ladies).

Phaedrus is quite right. Don't create a new profile and handle when you already have a profile, just drop the Mod a PM to change your handle. A new profile leads people to think something is nefarious. And I'm not 100% sure but I think you are only allowed to have one account on CERB (but I could be wrong)

A rambling

RG

Those are very good points and for them I get why you or anyone would want to set it as private. It would be nice to be able to hand select who we could block, as I have blocked some but they still had the ability to visit my page?? However I still feel if you(meaning anyone) want to and are going to visit my page allow me the ability to look at yours or else I'll have suspicions .

I assume you are referring to the 'ignore' feature in CP- as I too thought that was an actual block for these selected people put in there. But it turns out the ignore feature is exactly as its called- it only disables you from viewing anything these specific chosen people have written- pictures posted- guestbook messages left- etc, But it does NOT actually block them from your profile. The only way to block anyone is to block them all- unless they are added onto your friends list, nobody can have access to your account when set to private, Just friends.

• Like 1

Guest D***el B***e

If I had known that earlier it could have saved me a few headaches with the Mod ... I got a bad slap on the hands for the approach I took in doing the switch but all in all the Mod was reasonable with me ... I had no ill conceived motive for doing the switch, my earlier post explains it.

Phaedrus is quite right. Don't create a new profile and handle when you already have a profile, just drop the Mod a PM to change your handle. A new profile leads people to think something is nefarious. And I'm not 100% sure but I think you are only allowed to have one account on CERB (but I could be wrong)

A rambling

RG

I assume you are referring to the 'ignore' feature in CP- as I too thought that was an actual block for these selected people put in there. But it turns out the ignore feature is exactly as its called- it only disables you from viewing anything these specific chosen people have written- pictures posted- guestbook messages left- etc, But it does NOT actually block them from your profile. The only way to block anyone is to block them all- unless they are added onto your friends list, nobody can have access to your account when set to private, Just friends.

Yes, exactly, and blocking/ignoring for that reason I think is pointless, if I didn't want to see anything written by said people I would ignore it anyway. The blocking feature we'd like should block said individuals from viewing our profiles, as you said, but perhaps allowing that may be to difficult or just not doable?

I had to reply on this thread because I felt somewhat targeted and wanted to provide my perspective. If you look back at my posts over time, I don't think there's a lot of creepyness in them (is that a word?), I even like to think I built up a decent reputation but if it means that because I changed my handle I have an uphill climb to regain whatever I lost then so be it, I'm comfortable with that.

In terms of the content of this thread, people may have all kinds of reasons for not wanting to have others see their profile, but I don't spend much time thinking about it. For a provider it may be different and may raise a question or two about the real motive behind a person. That's where your instinct comes in. I too sometime visit people's profile only to be told I can't ... Oh well, I move on ... no big deal for me. It doesn't mean they're creepy though.

Just my 2-cents ...

DB!

I don't think changing your name is suspicious or creepy. It's the way it's done and gone about that can be alarming to some. I have changed my name from Erotic Emily to Claire Heavens but have done so publicly and without an explanation.....but also without hiding or becoming a 'new' girl. A name change is a name change- simple. But there's a difference between changing and hiding. Im not saying you were either of those things. MOD always finds out and decides if motives were innocent, threatening or just stupid. Better to ask before you do.

As for visiting a ladies page and not having access- instead of moving on.... you should inquire..... PM her.....befriend her.....and enjoy the hidden treasure ;)

Im lucky to have so many patient people sending me messages and friend requests. If everyone clicked on my page and realized it was private and moved on due to lack of immediate contact..... or instant gratification..hehe... I'd consider making my private profile- public, while feeling uneasy about it.

• Like 1