Wine Recommendations wanted!!

Every so often I quite enjoy a nice glass of wine...especially after a hard day of this, that, and the other.

However, my wine knowledge is limited especially with reds. Does anybody have any wine recommendations that won't break the bank, would go great with a hearty meal and will have me feeling all warm and fuzzy on a rainy day?

I just moved to a city where fog and rain are the new normal.

I like pinos for white one that I like and excuse the spelling in case its wrong is santa margarita-Italian I believe

a red that's good is Clancys- Australian or new Zealand- its a blend or chateneauf du pape-french obviously again please excuse my spelling:)

I hope you find your fave:)

Does anybody have any wine recommendations that won't break the bank, would go great with a hearty meal and will have me feeling all warm and fuzzy on a rainy day?

Considering all the criterias you have mentioned, right off the bat, I can highly recommend J. Lohr - Cabernet Sauvignon

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=656561&ITEM_NUMBER=656561

To enjoy all the aromas and flavors, let it breath for about 20-30 minutes before drinking ;)

If you would like more recommendations, I'd be happy to share more!

A very nice wine from Spain, full red, strong and subtle at the same time, will give you a lot of pleasure: Tarima Hill, less than 20$ a bottle.

If you prefer something as good, I would suggest another Spanish wine, Finca Monica Crianza, on clearance in Ottawa at 12.95$ a very good price for this Spanish Rioja.

Spanish wines are full bodied wines and I had always appreciated their taste.

Considering all the criterias you have mentioned, right off the bat, I can highly recommend J. Lohr - Cabernet Sauvignon

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=656561&ITEM_NUMBER=656561

If you would like more recommendations, I'd be happy to share more ;)

Perfect choice Gabi!!!! 7 Oaks is one of the house reds at the Keg and goes well with almost everything... at around $20 a bottle it's a really great wine at a great price.

Keeping with robust reds try some Italian - Amarone, Ripasso and Valpolicella all hail from the same region, deliver a delicious blend of flavours and can all be had from the modest $20 -40 range for a decent bottle.

For French reds I absolutely adore Chateauneuf du Pape... again a decent bottle will set you back $30 and up BUT the flavour justifies the small investment....

• Like 2

Guest webothscore

Equally important, wine and food ottawa coming up. The best venue. Woohoo. Pretentious or not. The best sights and sounds. Yes, sounds are made after this event ;) Woohoo! Also, I've been to Australia and some of the wines from Yara Valley come with great taste.

Edited by webothscore
Addition of word.

I usually drink whites, which I don't particularly associate with hearty meals and rainy days, but I think Apothic Red might just fit the bill. It's a beautiful blended red, not too dry and extremely tasty. One of my favourites.

Every so often I quite enjoy a nice glass of wine...especially after a hard day of this, that, and the other.

However, my wine knowledge is limited especially with reds. Does anybody have any wine recommendations that won't break the bank, would go great with a hearty meal and will have me feeling all warm and fuzzy on a rainy day?

Try "Ménage à trois" not only a great name for a wine but actually a very good wine ;)

Argentina

- Trapiche Malbec Oak Cast

100% Malbec

http://www.trapichewines-usa.com/wines/trapiche-oak-cask-2/trapiche-oak-cask-malbec-v2010/

$15.95

I really wanted to keep my suggestions at about $20 or less but these two are well worth the extra $7.

Italy

- San Felice Il Grigio Riserva

Sangiovese blend

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/details.do?itemNumber=716266

$26.95

- Umberto Cesari Liano

Sangiovese/Cabernet Sauvignon

http://www.saq.com/page/en/saqcom/vin-rouge/umberto-cesari-liano-sangiovese--cabernet-sauvignon/927707

$26.95

Well it just so happens that I have easy access to a sommelier and I'd be willing to offer you a tasting and pairing at you convenience. Perhaps at my place again? Yum!

On a more to the point answer, give me a meal and I'll get you a perfect wine (my treat).

As a former Sommelier, to me wine is something that is just as personal to you as say for instance a certain fragrance you prefer. Each of us have a different palate and not only that, wine with the many aromas each one has can trigger certain emotions and memories in all of us. However with that said, for myself I prefer a nice dry red wine and if you can find it, it is called Rubesco. It's an Italian wine and falls in the category of Sangiovese. Amazing wine.

If you prefer white wine, may I suggest a nice Pinot Grigio. I find that Kittling Ridge makes an amazing Pinot Grigio.

Traditionally, a meal involving red meat weather a steak or roast beef or a meat based pasta would call for a red wine. I am not a connoisseur, but I have always liked a Chianti named after the region near Tuscany. Rufina is a village in the Tuscany region that produces Rufina Chianti. It is very reasonably priced an is available in Ontario at the LCBO.

I find it fruity and light but not too light. I have found some wines that are very heavy with an overbearing taste and some wines so light that it appears watered down. I find Chianti a nice compromise. My other suggestion would be a Valpollicella.

If the meal is like white meat such as chicken, fish or a pasta with something like a cream or Alfredo sauce, the you will probably want a white wine. Maybe a Pinot Grigio or aChardonnay. These would be my choices but I am not a much of a white wine guy.

I like a good bottle of Beaujolais.

If it's Beaujolais, it's gotta be Georges DuBoeuf. Their Beaujolais are very good and Fun by Georges DuBoeuf is only $10.95. If you are making the transition from white to red wine, I would always recommend start on Beaujolais. It's light, refreshing and very pleasant to the palate.

Guest ChantalSummers

Lately I can't get enough of Angels Gate Riesling wine. It's a 2011 and truly delights the senses with its sweetness.

For you Chardonnay lovers,

a really good bang for the buck is the Mag of Santa Carolina Chardonnay

$15 for 1.5L - great for get togethers.

Straight forward Chard, med body with a hint of oak on the finish.

Guest c**io**m7

Chanson Pere et Fils Pinot Noir $21.95

Baracchi Smeriglio Syrah 2010 $26.95

Casarsa Cabernet Sauvignon $13.10 ... surprisingly tasty for the price point

Darmagi Langhe 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon $260.00 (just kidding but, damn, it is delicious)

Guest ****ven

Vino! My fav :)

2 greats for around 20$ per 750 ml:

White: Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc

Red: Masi Campofiorin

:)

Guest R**3*9

Right now I'm on a wines from Argentina kick and my personal fav is

Trapiche Malbec Reserve - $14 in Halifax any LC pretty common. The reserve is very important it's only $1 more for the reserve but the flavour is significantly better.

It's very smooth and...well delicious every sip makes me smile :icon_biggrin: It's a nice mix of dry full flavoured but I still get plenty of fruit flavours without the sweet that often comes with fruity wines.

And the best part perhaps is that I never get hungover when I drink it. Doesn't matter how much....no Argentine has given me a hangover for that matter.

And the best part perhaps is that I never get hungover when I drink it. Doesn't matter how much....no Argentine has given me a hangover for that matter.

This is likely due to the lesser needs for pesticides on their grapes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_wine

``Due to the high altitude and low humidity of the main wine producing regions, Argentine vineyards rarely face the problems of insects, fungi, molds and other grape diseases that affect vineyards in other countries. This allows cultivating with little or no pesticides, enabling even organic wines to be easily produced.[4]``

I have tried recently a Fuzion organic malbec cabernet. I quite liked it. only $13

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/searchResults.do?ITEM_NAME=FUZION+ORGANIC+MALBEC+CABERNET&ITEM_NUMBER=&language=EN

• Like 1