My daughter was at a resort in the Caribbean earlier this week. The first night, her room was broken into and her cell phone was stolen.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I received a call (presumably from the burglar or an associate) pretending to be a police officer, telling me that my daughter was "in custody" and suggesting that I should send some money to make the situation go away quickly and cleanly.

Unfortunately, this call woke me up and I wasn't thinking clearly. I should have waited until the caller gave details for sending the money but instead I immediately called his bluff as the person who had her stolen phone.

So much for that.

But since then, this jackass has proceeded to phone everyone in her directory (some nearly 300 people) and attempt to perpetrate one scam or another on them. So far, no evidence that anyone is falling for this dunce ...

... but I just tried phoning him back and got him. As soon as I said I was her mother, he hung up. Obviously, he's still using the same phone number (... not her number -- that's shut down -- but a new one that he used when he called me.

So. Any advice on revenge? Anyone willing to help out? ;)

Oh, for sure her phone got cancelled immediately.

But the dickwad that stole her phone is calling everybody in her directory, trying to shake them down. Some of us figured maybe we could return the favour and call him back ... a few times a day. She has more than 300 people in her phone directory. If each of us could call back 10 time a day or more, well....

But I just tried again and it seems that the new number is no longer accepting calls.

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

I am thinking you didn't know to do this. Too bad, but you will be ready if it ever happens again.

I suggest you write up a review of the hotel she stayed at, using that travel site. Im not sure if I can name names, but you know the one Im thinking.

What's done is done. Forgive and forget. Sh*t Happens.

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

I am thinking you didn't know to do this. Too bad, but you will be ready if it ever happens again.

Sounds great, except I just tried it on our own cell phone and it didn't work. We'll contact our carrier and find out if there is such a thing for our phone and how to access it.

I don't think it would be fair to review the resort on this. Something like this can happen anywhere. In my daughter's case, her phone fell into the hands of someone who obviously is intent on trying to shake down all her friends and contacts.

That is brutal and shows how desperate some people truly are. I'm glad you're on top of things and the people in her directory have not been fooled and ripped off.

I'm glad your daughter is safe.

Very cool techno trip Jazzy! Thanks! I've just done that for my cell.

Asterisk - Number Sign - Zero - Six - Number Sign

(First time I did it, it didn't work because I didn't notice the initial Asterisk).

Does it work on all carrier phones? Bell phones still do not use sim cards right?

I think it reveals the internal serial number of the phone regardless of a sim card.

Try it and see.

It worked with my Nokia cell phone.

I just tried it with my 5-year-old LG. Didn't work - started dialing? I hung up quick (who knows what country code it thought I was trying to dial).

As per the info at the link:

http://bs-ba.facebook.com/topic.php?...279&topic=5549

probably won't work with LG, iPhone and Blackberry, among others

sarcasticid did some research.

Here is the quote:

On further investigation I found this http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

It goes to show you can't take everything for face value. Thanks jazzitup, maybe you should check things out before you report them.

It is so easy to fall for these things and I was just trying to be helpful.

Great advice, thank you! :)