5 Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do

For all the folks with cell phones. (This information should be kept in your car, purse, and wallet. Good information to have with you.)

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival.

Check out the things that you can do with it:

Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile network and there is an Emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly, this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

If you lock your keys In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object.. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note : It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!'

Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#. Your cell phone will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell phone next time.

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following Digits on your phone: *#06#. A 15-digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe.

When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

Free Directory Service for Cells

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem.. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial: (800)FREE411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now. This is sponsored by McDonalds.

This is the kind of information people don't mind receiving, so pass it on to your family and friends.

• Like 7

Jazzitup, very good info. Thanks

I tried the Free411 directory service 1-800-FREE411, or 1-800-373-3411 and it was able to do a person lookup unlike Googles 411 service that will only do businesses.

Excellent info. I've passed it on already... I really like the long distance car door opening...

Guest S*rca****sid

I would like add to tip #4. The 15 digit number is the IMEI, if you remove the battery from the phone you will see it written on the back of the phone. It is unique to every phone. So if you have to report your phone stolen, tell the phone company you have the IMEI number.

P.S. IMEI - International Mobil Equipment Identity

On further investigation I found this http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

It goes to show you can't take everything for face value. Thanks jazzitup, maybe you should check things out before you report them.

Good information here. I especially like number 2, Jazzy. I am so forgetful! It sounds so much better than using a hanger. Has anyone done this? I will let you know. Big pain in the ass. Also the battery thing omg freging great. I will keep these numbers. If we don't use them. They are at least interesting.

sarcasticsid

Thanks for the update. It is so easy to fall for these things. Good to know there are people like you to research these things so well.

Too bad they are mostly myths, I was getting excited! (ALWAYS locking my keys in the car) I just learned how to use the t9 feature(hadn't bothered before) and now am texting at the speed of light! :)

Guest S*rca****sid

I guess people only read the first post and forget about the rest.....

One of my brothers e-mailed it to me and like so many people believed everything in there. I sent him the link that Sarcasticcid found (thanks again). The only thing that works for sure is getting the unique 15 digit id number, which can be useful.

PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD!

I just found out my phone allows me to talk to other people using verbal communication. Who would have thought? Here I've been texting and emailing all this time and didn't have a clue...

Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

If you lock your keys In the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object.. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note : It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!'

If #2 does not work, try 2.1...

1- Take 7 steps away from the drivers side door

2- Turn cellphone off

3- Close cell phone to make as compact as possible

4- Extend arm back holding cellphone

5- Chuck cell phone at window as hard as you can

6 -If window does not break, pick up cell phone and go back to #4