Blinded by the Light

Any one else have a problem with super bright headlights, or is it just me.

Dropped in to my local RCMP station to ask if other drivers have expressed their concerns.

I pointed out that I rarely see a transport truck that has blinding lights, to which I heard "they are regulated", but we can't do anything about autos(unless their highbeams are misused).

RCMP officer says, just don't look at them... I never heard such a complaint in my six years on force...maybe you should stop driving at night.

(hmmm don't look at cars, that may cross the white line and end your pleasant trip)

Ever watch Canada's Worst Drivers ? (think of the thousands that don't get on the show)

This is something like the Cell Phone problem. The obvious does not matter.

We need years of stats, studies and deaths to prove anything.

So I Googled

http://www.headlight-reform.org/

"Bright and extra headlights are causing stress and I am seeing the results in my practice. Not a single patient knew about this [http://dms.dot.gov] site. Millions of people would like to see some action taken. Being confronted with a bright distracting light triggers a fight or flight response. The result is high blood pressure, stress, blood sugar increase, not to mention the added risk of eye disease. Unnecessary distracting and blinding lights are a hazard. You will actually be doing the manufactures a favor by nipping this in the bud soon as there is no doubt in my mind they and you will be liable for the damage that is resulting from this. To take a blind eye to this is not only negligent but criminal in my opinion. The eye is the most sensitive of all our senses. It is easily damaged as well as the most easily distracted. All this extra lighting is causing accidents, not preventing them. I have spoken to many people about this issue and every single one of them agrees with me. I have yet to speak to a single person who was in favor of these lights. They all said they annoyed them. Annoyance is the least of it. The only proper and indeed ethical course of action is regulate now.

So it's not just me.

Thinkin of getting me the brightest bulbs possible for my truck (can't beat em, join em) and wearing an Electronic Welder Mask (for when they beam me back) :ablow:

I agree with you totally. While driving at night, I got 3 cars in a row with "undiscriminated" use of their high lights, by the time they past by I was blinded and had an accident....I killed a poor red fox because I did not see it.

Some drivers use the high beams with no respect for others. Having them at your back is another tragic story....it should be regulated...and by the way, talking about cell phones, yesterday it was a small accident on Carling Avenue and it was because the person ahead of the car who put the breaks on (being hit as a consequence by the car who was at his back) was swerving stupidly while talking in his cell phone.....

Let's respect a little more the lives of others and our own please.

Trace:?

Here is something that happened to me last Thursday evening. I was coming back home from Montreal (taking the back roads) and got behind this little car who was driving about 70 km/h and I was driving 100 km/h so I slowed down until I could pass. When the time came to pass he started to speed up and since I have a big V8 it was like nothing for me to pass him.

Now he (the driver of the other car ) was pissed at me and started to tailgate me with is high beams on without caring of the oncoming traffic. Me being a cool guy kept my vehicle on cruise at 100 km/h and tilted my rear view mirror a bit. This guy was trying to scare me by pulling in and out of his lane(with high beams on) and all of a sudden we meet a car coming from opposite direction who's mirror hit my tailgater's mirror.

Lesson learned for him.

This bugs me too but there are some causes to consider.

Most newer cars, let's say less than 5 years old, have brighter headlights which have a narrower focus. IF they are properly aimed that car's driver can see much further than before and the opposing traffic sees less glare than older conventional headlights. However, if the brighter lights are mis-aligned the result can be dangerous for oncoming vehicles.

Also if a vehicle is overloaded the lights will shine higher and be troublesome for oncoming cars. If you are driving one of these newer vehicles and you've had an accident or changed tire size or had some other modifications that may change vehicle height please be sure to have your headlights re-aimed.

So in many cases it is not the new technology per se, but improper maintenance or vehicle loading that is the cause for the lights shining where they shouldn't.

If properly focused these lights are a godsend for the drivers traveling both ways.

Ok driving down the 401 with a divider, few curves and bumps.

Big difference on two lane highways and backroads with many curves/ bumps.

When a line of autos coming around a left hand curve, repeatedly strobing me, while concentrating on the shoulder of the road, I have to slow and/or weave. :-x

(Experts say look where you want your car to go !!!!)

I find it odd that Transport trucks and Tour busses do not need super beams, but every one else does.

I see the convergence of several problems:

Ageing population, brighter white/blue headlights, taller trucks and SUVs.

Bulb makers claim Brighter, Farther and Wider beam !

http://www.mdsupport.org/library/hazard.html#blue

http://www.gelighting.com/na/home_lighting/products/nighthawk/

GE Lighting/Nighthawk ("produces ultra bright light") site fails to mention the subject of headlight aiming hazard. Not surprised, just wanna sell bulbs

M.O.T site ignores it too.

GE says "areas illuminated with more than 15,000/40,000 candela (low beam/high beam)"

M.O.T says "(9) No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9)"

Something wrong here !!!

Who ever wrote the copy for the GE Nighthawk TV spot, never heard of "caught in the headlights"

Funny when the Raccoon says,

"you have a better chance of seeing me" (before you run me over anyway, now that I'm frozen in your lazer beam at a greater distance, are you going to lock up your brakes and swerve around me....thump)

I agree with this guy.

"Title: Re: What is all the hoopla on HIDs?

Post by: quadzilla on January 28, 2007, 09:10:01 am

Just drove back from Collingwood mostly on 2 lane roads. Thinking about this thread so I compared the brightness and glare from both HID's and other headlamps as I probably had a lot cars to check as they went by going in the opposite direction.

My observations are that 99% of the cars gave lots of glare and made it hard to see when they went by with only the old 80's and early 90's cars with dim headlamps not causing any problems. I did notice with HID's it depends on the maker as a Porsche Cayanne went by and I had little problems seeing but another truck (don't know what it was because of glare) made me blind. Of course, the plow/salter's lights were near dangerously blinding when he went by."

My solution for now is Blu Blocker sunglasses. (no more squinting) 8-)

Gonna get me some super beams (won't wait for the MOT to wake up)

The oncoming lights kill me, but recently I've been experience rear light issues. I drive a little car and here in the west SUV's reign supreme. I seem to get stuck behind them all the time and because they are so much higher their tail lights leave me seeing little red dots after we start moving again. I didn't get why it's happening but after reading this it makes sense. They must be using the new bulbs in the back as well.

Cat

More tidbits.

Low beams are becoming the new high beams. (I used to think Low meant low power, not any more)

Car enthusiasts like to install super lights "they are so cool" (need more light to travel safely twenty clicks over the limit, right ?)

HID conversion kits are illegal. (off road use only)

Wanna buy some, Google HID (lots of how to install vids)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw&feature=player_embedded#

Experts are against tinted glasses.

http://www.drivesmartbc.ca/miscellaneous/night-driving-glasses

Yet some cops wear yellow tints on night patrol. (have told me so)

http://www.aaafoundation.org/pdf/HeadlightGlareBrochure.pdf

I've been called lots of things in past, but "expert" was rarely one of them!

Thanks for a link to my site in the post and remember that if you are unhappy with things vehicle you can complain to Transport Canada. They set the standards and they can change them.