A rant to drunk drivers.

A few day's ago I was rear ended by a drunk driver and needless to say i'm pissed. This individual nearly ruined the lives of four people including his own and he thought nothing of it.

I must say it was a miracle no one was seriously hurt except for aches and pains along with multiple bruises. Three vehicles including my own were totalled in the process and yet he didn't seem to care.

I wish those who drink and drive would just stop and think for a moment the danger they put themselves and all of us in. Too much to ask I guess for it happens time and time again. None of us untill we are directly involved really give it much thought.

My wish during this festive season is that all in this wonderful cerb community stay safe and please don't drink and drive.

• Like 1

Excellent post, piper, I had lost a good friend years back because of the the same DWI.

I knew of a man that has lost his licience count this..now count this..9 fucking times..what does it take to get a guy like that off the street? He still freaking drove without Insurance! His last time caught apparently he did only 3 months..give me a break!

Our laws are not tough enough on the subject, I have and still support MADD every year since the loss of a friend from DWI. Society,laws are sincerely just a little fucked up when it comes to this, and another issue > street racing.

If I socialize and have a couple, I cab it or get a lift from a DD, but most of the time, I just don't drink, it is not worth it.

Wow it's amazing that this day and age people are stupid enough to do this. They never think of the consequences when the get behind the wheel. I am glad that you were not seriously hurt.

Guest C****** K***e

Agreed entirely. When I was growing up in a rural area, this was a huge problem, because after a party on a farm, people just drove home. Now I've been known to drink rather profusely on occasion, as many have, but I would never drive anywhere after drinking at all, and I have refused rides from people who've had drinks countless times.

I just don't understand what possible miserable excuse for logic could ever prompt someone to think that they are capable of operating a ton of metal when they're under the influence of anything.

Guest S**r***e

I agree that our laws are not tough enough on these idiots. I also have a pet peeve on the new .05 law. Why don't they just make the legal limit .05 instead of having two different levels. Just my 2 cents.

Got stopped twice late sunday night.

A quick lights, stickers, drinking lately, check.

I'm in favor of more roadside checks.

If I got stopped once a week, no problem.

It means more %^&* will be weeded out.

But, I do have a problem when the officer asks "have you had anything to drink this evening ?" "Ummm...Ahhhhh...no sir". If I had a beer about four hours ago, I am I lying to him. If I said Yes, would I have to "blow" ?

(I rarely drink, and a beer or two tops)

Wish they would word that question another way.

Maybe " have you had any today ?, how many hours ago was that?

Got stopped twice late sunday night.

A quick lights, stickers, drinking lately, check.

I'm in favor of more roadside checks.

If I got stopped once a week, no problem.

It means more %^&* will be weeded out.

But, I do have a problem when the officer asks "have you had anything to drink this evening ?" "Ummm...Ahhhhh...no sir". If I had a beer about four hours ago, I am I lying to him. If I said Yes, would I have to "blow" ?

(I rarely drink, and a beer or two tops)

Wish they would word that question another way.

Maybe " have you had any today ?, how many hours ago was that?

I have been stopped before and the best thing you can do is be completely honest if you drank a while back ...I drove myself and others home, but came out at 8pm and hit the bar with a shot of jager and a glass of wine right away....i didn't drink anything after that after a really drunk girlfriend came out and I didn't drive until after 3am driving her and some friends back from a Shawarma joint....

it was out of my way but they were all IN THE BAG....if you stutter and lie and have *some* alcohol in your system but under the limit.....if you have said "no" you have been lying and the cop may let you go....but I've heard of cops who have held ppl for lying to an officer that they had consumed ANY alcohol that night (not right, but some new cops are trying to make their quotas for the night and sometimes may try anything)

never assume you're not going to get brethalized.....I was lucky that time that I blew under and almost wet myself in fear because I didn't know how my body would react to my early alcohol consumption and to the test....even if it was very early in the evening that I drank

in the instance of question towards it, or just in the logic behind it, just dont drink and drive. a seemingly convienient route sometimes may be a deadly route for some (or yourself!)...be it having your car impounded and liscence taken away (the least of your worries) or the lives of yourself or the lives of others and the sake of your's and their families. (something you and others will have to live with forever)

I'll take the short-term hassle ANY day: leaving my car downtown

Excellent post, piper, I had lost a good friend years back because of the the same DWI.

I knew of a man that has lost his licience count this..now count this..9 fucking times..what does it take to get a guy like that off the street? He still freaking drove without Insurance! His last time caught apparently he did only 3 months..give me a break!

Our laws are not tough enough on the subject, I have and still support MADD every year since the loss of a friend from DWI. Society,laws are sincerely just a little fucked up when it comes to this, and another issue > street racing.

If I socialize and have a couple, I cab it or get a lift from a DD, but most of the time, I just don't drink, it is not worth it.

This is proof that our justice system can be strongly influenced by the mighty dollar. I know some people that I am ashamed to admit are friends of mine, got off with only a 1 or 2 month suspension as they have more money than they know what to do with it. All they needed to do is pay $5,000.00 to a lawyer, $2,500.00 for finds, $500.00 on a drive safe course that lasted a day, and another fine that is no more than $1,000.00. I have seen it a few times, for about $10,000.00 you can get off from your arrest through a loophole.

As Pete said this guy was convicted 9 freaking times! WTF! Not only should this person?s license de taken away forever, but is DWI not a crime? Is there no jail time for that?

We are lucky enough to have Operation nez rouge (operation red nose) in Montreal from early December to the 31st.

Unfortunately, they do not service Ottawa but service across Canada in certain cities.

http://www.operationnezrouge.com/en/Organisez_regions.asp

Another link for the Montreal region is http://www.designated-driver.ca/

Point Zero 8- Designated drivers... They operate all year.

Enjoy the holidays ;)

xox

We are lucky enough to have Operation nez rouge (operation red nose) in Montreal from early December to the 31st.

Unfortunately, they do not service Ottawa but service across Canada in certain cities.

Enjoy the holidays ;)

xox

yes we have that hear in NS as well..it's a great thing.......

We have it as well..here is a copied and pasted blurp from CFRA last year...

Operation Red Nose

Ottawa Police are advising the public to call Operation Red Nose if they need a safe ride home during the holidays.

Volunteers provide a free chauffeur service to and from your Outaouais or metro Ottawa location.

The rides will be available tonight and Saturday, as well as on New Year's Eve.

The organizations says they're also looking for volunteers for New Year's.

Operation Red Nose says their volunteers have given 1,431 rides since December 5.

Call 819-771-AUTO for more details and to make arrangements.

Enjoy the holidays ;)

xox

Guest s******ecan****
A few day's ago I was rear ended by a drunk driver and needless to say i'm pissed. This individual nearly ruined the lives of four people including his own and he thought nothing of it.

I must say it was a miracle no one was seriously hurt except for aches and pains along with multiple bruises. Three vehicles including my own were totalled in the process and yet he didn't seem to care.

I wish those who drink and drive would just stop and think for a moment the danger they put themselves and all of us in. Too much to ask I guess for it happens time and time again. None of us untill we are directly involved really give it much thought.

My wish during this festive season is that all in this wonderful cerb community stay safe and please don't drink and drive.

Our system is too lenient on this persistent problem. As for your injuries I'm happy to hear nothing serious occurred, keep an eye out for symptoms though (especially back and neck) because sometimes these can take a while to develop.

Even if Red nose was not in Ottawa, there is new service that is sweeping the nation, and it?s easy to use. It?s called a TAXI. If you are too intoxicated to call one yourself, all bars will call one for you!

But it's too expensive people are going to say, so for those people the price of a cab ride home is worth more than life or Pete's buddy he lost!

In this day in age I am still amazed with the amount of DWI or DUI that are taking place.

Sorry, it's a touchy subject for me!:ablow:

agreed Apex! take a cab home and then bus back the next day to get the car if those who are finicky on costs dont want to cab both ways. parking garages are also a safe bet that your car doesn't have a ticket the next day too.

not to go back to driving services but there was this really neato miniature motor-bike drivers in the UK that would drive to your car if you needed a lift, the bike then folded up and fit in your trunk, the driver would drive your car with you in it to where you needed to go and upon arrival, ride their motor-bike away

probably not the best idea for ottawa winters tho :-( lol

let antlerman rant on this one.

Drunk drivers....wow....stay out of Quebec if you stay sober.....it is the most lienient province on druck drivers.........they slap your hands there....

you get caught drunk driving....jail for 30 days should be sentence point blank.

Hell...you get caught walking around with a loaded gun...pointing it and shooting into the air...jail time......you get in a car drunk....you are like the crazy with the gun.......you could kill some one.

if some one even gets caught DWI a second time.....labeled as dangerous offender.....severe restrictions and huge community service............no drivers licience again!

I have zero tolerance for DWI....I have called the cops on friends and family who drive drunk.....I even punched a friend out cold to prevent him from diving......broke my hand...he thanked me after.....

• Like 1

let antlerman rant on this one.

Drunk drivers....wow....stay out of Quebec if you stay sober.....it is the most lienient province on druck drivers.........they slap your hands there....

you get caught drunk driving....jail for 30 days should be sentence point blank.

Hell...you get caught walking around with a loaded gun...pointing it and shooting into the air...jail time......you get in a car drunk....you are like the crazy with the gun.......you could kill some one.

if some one even gets caught DWI a second time.....labeled as dangerous offender.....severe restrictions and huge community service............no drivers licience again!

I have zero tolerance for DWI....I have called the cops on friends and family who drive drunk.....I even punched a friend out cold to prevent him from diving......broke my hand...he thanked me after.....

To me it is certainly the same as walking around with a loaded gun....when i was pregnant for my first son i was hit head on by a drunk driver.....what happened to him? His fringing insurance went up,perhaps lost his licence for a bit..meanwhile i'm in the hospital fighting for mine and my unborn child's life....very touchy subject with me as well

what really got me in my life was loosing friends in an accident when I was in my youth...

#1 it was questionable if he was over the limit........He died on his "donor-cycle" when he crossed into incomming traffic.....he flew through the oncomming car.....turning the car into a convertable and amazingly not injuring the driver of the car......issue is he was intoxicated.....my friends and I were to intoxicated to stop him in the first place.

#2 I had a friend hit by a logging truck.....my friend was out of town....he had a few drinks with a client.....went around a corner and drove under the front wheels of the truck......they found his wallet 100 feet away..........it blew out of his pocket...results showed he was just under the limit....just.

In both cases nobody other than my friends were lost....if only all drunk drivers ended up that way is my feeling.

I agree that our laws are not tough enough on these idiots. I also have a pet peeve on the new .05 law. Why don't they just make the legal limit .05 instead of having two different levels. Just my 2 cents.

For at least 20 years in Ontario, probably more, there have been legal consequences to being found operating a motor vehicle with more than .05 blood alcohol but less than .08.

What changed a few months ago is that those consequences became more serious as well as graduated for repeat offenders.

Before, if drivers were found with between .05 and .08 their car was impounded for 12 hours.

You could do that over and over again, and all that would happen would be just the 12 hour impound. Perhaps a real warning to anyone with half a brain. But just an Inconvenient slap on the wrist for repeat offenders.

Conviction of .08, however, led to a year's suspension, fines, increased insurance costs etc.

So, previously, you could have someone repeatedly caught at .079 just getting continued slaps on the wrist and someone one-time at .08 (deservedly), really getting slammed.

Since May of this year, the .05 penalties are more severe and graduated for repeat offenses. See the posters in any LCBO. Or on-line:

http://news.ontario.ca/mto/en/2009/04/ontarios-new-drinking-and-driving-law.html

and

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/April2009/30/c7167.html

Some right-wing commentators and defense lawyers don't like it however.

See:

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/fullcomment/archive/2009/05/06/matt-gurney-ontario-introduces-new-blood-alcohol-rules-to-punish-the-innocent.aspx

MADD naturally disagrees.

See:

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1769758

Just like seat belts. If people are stupid enough to do it over and over again. Breathalyzer with Engine kill switch as standard equiptment in all new cars.

SNS724

Guest S**r***e

My bad wording. I was aware there was a 12 hour suspension when found in between .05 - .079. I guess I shouldn't have said new "law" and instead said penalties. Basically, I am just saying, lower the legal limit to .05. If they feel the need to stiffen the penalties because they are considering people too "impaired" to drive at these levels, then just lower the level to .05. Did I mention I think they should just lower the legal limit to .05?

I just finished reading the entire thread and I want to make a few points.

1) some women lack a certain enzyme that metabolizes alcohol. This means that women get drunk quicker and stay drunk longer than men in general (there will be exceptions). So ladies be especially careful.

2) The laws should be changed so that if there are minor children in the vehicle of someone DWI, then there will be additional fines per child.

3) The times I have been stopped at a driver check point, and I get asked if I was drinking, I usually say that I had a glass of wine with my evening meal. Twice this has happened and I was allowed to proceed on my way. I never had to blow. Always be honest with them. I think when they ask the question, they just want to stick their head in your car and smell your breath to see if you have been drinking.

My bad wording. I was aware there was a 12 hour suspension when found in between .05 - .079. I guess I shouldn't have said new "law" and instead said penalties. Basically, I am just saying, lower the legal limit to .05. If they feel the need to stiffen the penalties because they are considering people too "impaired" to drive at these levels, then just lower the level to .05. Did I mention I think they should just lower the legal limit to .05?

In this country, as in many others with a mostly Common Law (Quebec has both a Civil Code and a Common Law tradition, but has graduated penalties as well), there is the principle of graduated penalties.

So, in this instance of graduate penalties, the idea is that someone who is an occasional drinker who has too much at the office party one time and who blows .055 will be shocked into never doing it again, and should be treated differently that someone who repeatedly blows .079 but receives the same penalty (over and over again) as the occasional drinker just given as an example.

Until the changes in the penalties in Ontario for "blow a warning", the occasional drinker who f--ked up one time had exactly the same "warning" as someone who repeatedly re-offends with many "warnings" - paying about the same amount as someone who parked in the wrong zone and was towed at rush hour.

Now, the "repeat warning offender" has graduated reminders about their errors, which one would hope, gets their attention before they go above .08.

Just as, even with the most serious crimes, there's a range between slap on the wrist and major penalties. For example, if you are criminally responsibility for someone's death, is it criminal negligence causing death, manslaughter, murder two or one?

So, .05 to .08 is a warning which now will be repeated more harshly each time you violate it, not just a repeated slap on the wrist for chronic offenders. If you put all the .05 people in jail, you'd need a lot more jails. The ideas is that the .08 and above offenders are the ones who cause the real damage.

The .05 penalties are designed to prevent all the but really stupid or the really addicted from reaching .08 without putting a great strain on the justice system.

Remember, in most states south of the border, it's .10, not .08 to be over the limit. So, with serious and graduated warnings now for .05 to .08 and some of North America's most strong penalties for over .08, Ontario is doing pretty good.

Sadly, the small percentage who don't give a f--K because of additions or arrogance don't care it it's .01.

I'm sure no one is going to question your (well-sourced) knowledge about the different graduated penalties that breathalyzer digits or number of repeat infractions etc due to being caught or causing death in a situation...I do hope that despite the graduated penalties everyone realizes this holiday season that driving drunk is just wrong.....no matter what the outcome or penalty.

slap on the wrist

losing your license

paying a large fine

taking someone's life

taking your own life

some pretty heavy penalties to deal with in the later if you ask me. Someone can easily make a very poor judgment-call breathing over 0.05 as someone who blows over 0.08.....i dont think any driver driving under the influence should be treated any differently. Hopefully this changes

In this country, as in many others with a mostly Common Law (Quebec has both a Civil Code and a Common Law tradition, but has graduated penalties as well), there is the principle of graduated penalties.

So, in this instance of graduate penalties, the idea is that someone who is an occasional drinker who has too much at the office party one time and who blows .055 will be shocked into never doing it again, and should be treated differently that someone who repeatedly blows .079 but receives the same penalty (over and over again) as the occasional drinker just given as an example.

Until the changes in the penalties in Ontario for "blow a warning", the occasional drinker who f--ked up one time had exactly the same "warning" as someone who repeatedly re-offends with many "warnings" - paying about the same amount as someone who parked in the wrong zone and was towed at rush hour.

Now, the "repeat warning offender" has graduated reminders about their errors, which one would hope, gets their attention before they go above .08.

Just as, even with the most serious crimes, there's a range between slap on the wrist and major penalties. For example, if you are criminally responsibility for someone's death, is it criminal negligence causing death, manslaughter, murder two or one?

So, .05 to .08 is a warning which now will be repeated more harshly each time you violate it, not just a repeated slap on the wrist for chronic offenders. If you put all the .05 people in jail, you'd need a lot more jails. The ideas is that the .08 and above offenders are the ones who cause the real damage.

The .05 penalties are designed to prevent all the but really stupid or the really addicted from reaching .08 without putting a great strain on the justice system.

Remember, in most states south of the border, it's .10, not .08 to be over the limit. So, with serious and graduated warnings now for .05 to .08 and some of North America's most strong penalties for over .08, Ontario is doing pretty good.

Sadly, the small percentage who don't give a f--K because of additions or arrogance don't care it it's .01.