Might be interesting for a few

Since there are a lot of pet owners and lovers here I tend to post about animal/pet issues from time to time and I choose the general forum as I've gotten little response when I post in the pet group section. Anyways, for a while now I've been researching pet foods trying to find a brand that uses humanely raised animals as that's how I eat now so I want my dogs to as well. With no luck thus far. I've contacted 3 companies who may but I am still awaiting responses from their reps. What I did find out and what did shock me was the use of euthanized animals in a lot of commercial pet food. This seems to be factual and is talked about on many food review, breeder and other dog forums. This included article is just one of many out there. So I guess the long and short is to avoid this avoid any nameless meat or by products. Meaning unless it's specified as poultry, beef, fish, etc, don't by it.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-industry-exposed/euthanized-pets-dog-food/

• Like 1

Reading your post, you had me thinking at the place where it's mentioned 'euthanized animals'. Let me relate what I have seen previously.

I come from a town where rural life is really close.

And every week in a neighboring community, there is a livestock auction. And I go once in a while to check cattle, prices and a social outing.

Animals are well taken care of as there is a vet on-site to check animals and make sure they are fine.

But at the end of the barn, there are some animals in what we call the 'hospital'.

Those are cows that are sick but if they can get in the ring and out, they will be sold.

However, these are sick animals and just by looking at them, you see there is a problem.

But they get sold. Who buys them? Agents from dog food companies.

These animals have at most a week to live. But they are sold and by the next day, they are brought to the slaughterhouse, and transformed into dog food.

I've been going on and off to those auctions for over 30 years and it has always been like that.

Except that now, the rules are more stringent and animal welfare has greatly improved.

Still a way to go but, I have seen some progress.

• Like 1

There was a case not long ago in NS, from Sure Gain. A 3 yr old retriever had died from having a toxic amount of the chemical used to euthanize, also chemicals found in flea collars. This shows that their company was buying euthanized animals from various Vets and SPCA's:(

The reason these companies can do this, is cause of the loop whole of rendering plants. This takes the guilt away from the food company saying" we buy our products from a rendering plant, and we have no hand in this procedure"

Lame as it is, this loop hole seems to protect these companies legally to sell this food. unfortunately this poor retriever died from this sad sad state of food protection for our 4 legged friends:(

Edited by Studio 110 by Sophia
  • Like 1