Pot Smoking Mountie Can't Smoke In Uniform RCMP Says

Saw that article today. I think I would tend to agree. While there is technically nothing wrong with what he is doing, it is not only an image of perception, but likely internal policy too.

Substitute marijuana with alcohol in this story and you'd reach the same conclusion.

• Like 1

And besides the public perception of a uniformed Mountie smoking pot what about carrying a weapon or driving a cruiser while under the influence of THC.

RG

• Like 1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/pot-smoking-mountie-has-uniform-seized-by-rcmp-1.2444352

I don't know what he expected to happen. A doctor may have the right to prescribe marijuana but the RCMP has the right to protect the image of it's uniform, organization and members collectively. A pot smoking Mountie, irrespective of it being a prescription destroys the image of the RCMP and public confidence in Canada's national police force

I'm also curious if the health insurance plan he has through the RCMP covers the cost of his medical marijuana or does he buy it completely out of his own pocket

Just my opinion

RG

There must be more to this then meets the eye. His behaviour seems to be a little like a kid acting out. Firstly I have read that while using marijuana he is not allowed to drive or carry a firearm. So that major concern of impairment is out of the way. Legal or not pot is still an intoxicant and use of it means you are legally impaired.

I saw him on the news last night, sitting there in his full red serge dress uniform rolling and smoking a joint. He was not even trying to be discrete. Those uniforms are only worn on special occasions, not just sitting at his desk in the office.

The funny thing is that a lot of people who are prescribed marijuana don't smoke joints, but use inhalers. He is trying to make a point of some type, or stir the pot. I am sure more will come out about this.

• Like 1

Saw that article today. I think I would tend to agree. While there is technically nothing wrong with what he is doing, it is not only an image of perception, but likely internal policy too.

Substitute marijuana with alcohol in this story and you'd reach the same conclusion.

Alcohol isn't a prescribed drug, though, so you can't compare the two. We don't see a fuss over smoking cigarettes or taking other prescribed medications. There are a number of comments online about how this individual should be on medical leave if he can't get through a workday without medication; I doubt very much that we would see the same dialogue if this discussion was about any other prescription medication. Would a Mountie in uniform be allowed to inject himself with insulin? Doesn't that technically project a "bad" image? What about psychiatric medications?

He doesn't necessarily need to smoke on the job, though. There are oral medications that he could be prescribed for when he is on the job (Nabilone/Cesamet and Dronabilone/Marinol). He is on administrative duties, so impairment at work is not really an issue.

I am glad this is creating conversations on PTSD in the workplace.

• Like 2

It would be pretty wild to get pulled over while hot-boxing by a just smoked up Mountie..... might be a lot of giggling going on.

Peace

MG

It would be pretty wild to get pulled over while hot-boxing by a just smoked up Mountie..... might be a lot of giggling going on.

Peace

MG

Reminds me of that scene in Up in Smoke!

I agree with Kathryn that there are other ways in which he could be "medicating" with marijuana, but disagree with the assumption that we wouldn't have an issue with it if he was taking some other form of medication. The manner in which the drug is taken cannot be divorced from the perception of being medicated in this situation because it is, in fact, the manner that has become the central issue. If THC intoxication truly is the only way he can medicate effectively for his PTSD, then the RCMP is well within their rights to say that smoking pot while in uniform is forbidden. They aren't restricting him from using marijuana, they are restricting the method he uses to take his "medicine."

This wouldn't be an issue with any other medication because the manner of taking any other drug would not be the same as in this case.

I'm also glad he isn't carrying a firearm or driving. There still isn't enough known about marijuana intoxication, and what *is* known indicates that it can impair judgment in a very similar way to many other drugs. It is also technically classified as a hallucinogen. The fact that doctors prescribe it to treat ailments is fairly irrelevant. It isn't hard for anyone to get a prescription for medical marijuana, which is one of the biggest impediments (along with lack of research into true benefits) to it being considered a credible medical treatment.

• Like 1

This man is taking medication prescribed by his physician. He is not breaking any law and should be allowed to do what he needs for his health. I am amazed that anyone here would disagree.

There must be more to this then meets the eye. His behaviour seems to be a little like a kid acting out.

The CBC are making him into a martyr for crying out loud!

He got his scrip for pot, fine. His employer put him on desk duty away from driving and firearms. They have done everything to accomodate him. And then he pulls a stunt like walking around in red serge and rolling/smoking a joint in front of a camera? One of my neighbours was an RCMP, I think he wore his red serge twice a year, if that. But here's an attention whore wearing it while working a desk. Yeah, right.

This goof is crying for attention. He should be out of the RCMP on a Permanent Partial Disability. He needs a shrink, not pot.

Additional Comments:

Would a Mountie in uniform be allowed to inject himself with insulin?

What this guy is doing is like sitting on the hood of a cruiser in red serge, rolling up his sleeve, tying off his arm and mainlining...

Most people who inject insulin are pretty discreet about it.

What this guy is doing is like sitting on the hood of a cruiser in red serge, rolling up his sleeve, tying off his arm and mainlining...

Most people who inject insulin are pretty discreet about it.

Most insulin users are able to administer their medication in a private, indoor area.

Most insulin users are able to administer their medication in a private, indoor area.

Exactly! This is just another medication. We have a very messed up attitude towards drugs in this country.

This man is taking medication prescribed by his physician. He is not breaking any law and should be allowed to do what he needs for his health. I am amazed that anyone here would disagree.

The issue isn't his using marijuana for his PTSD, it is his smoking it while in uniform. As for breaking laws it isn't just criminal law to consider, the

RCMP has a Code Of Discipline which members have to adhere to.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/r-10/page-13.html

A doctor has the right to prescribe drugs. The doctor can't dictate to the RCMP that he be allowed to wear his uniform while smoking marijuana

That is the issue, smoking up while in his RCMP uniform.

And his wearing of the red serge (dress uniform) that was done to antagonize the RCMP that's all. It's just to wear the dress uniform. How rare, well my dad was RCMP from 1948 to 1971, I was born in 1961, and I can't recall him ever wearing the red serge. Not saying he didn't, but if he did, it was extremely rare, I do know he didn't wear it once in the last four years of his career

I'm quite sure his hours of work could be adjusted so he isn't working when he needs to be smoking his medical marijuana or he wears plainclothes while working.

At least he isn't driving or carrying a sidearm

RG

• Like 1

Nobody is disagreeing with his need to use the marijuana. The problem is how that effects his job. Firstly, most police officers are required to drive, carry firearms and other weapons and deal with the public sometimes in volatile and tense situations. Secondly, marijuana, aside from its medical use is an intoxicant. I can say that with first hand practical knowledge as well as from study. That is why its prime use is as a recreational drug that has acknowledged physiological and psychological effects on the user. It is only recently becoming prescribed, and even then, there are still the impairment effects.

So the RCMP while accommodating the member, at the same time have to look out for the public at large, as well as their own image. So, he was placed on administrative duties so he would not be in volatile situations with the public where impairment may cause an issue. He was not allowed to carry firearms while under medication, and he was not allowed to drive. All prudent measures that look out for not only the member's well being but the public at large.

What he did was deliberately show up the force by standing around in his full dress uniform, smoking a poorly rolled doobie. It wasn't just his red serge, he was even wearing his medals (as opposed to the ribbons) which for those who don't know, only happens on special parades and occasions. And he was the one who contacted the press for the photo op, looking like Dudley Do-Right in a Cheech and Chong movie.

This is a Corporal with over 20 years as a cop. Someone who's experience and rank would make one think he had some good judgement. Although he has the right to use the drug, no debating that, over 90% of the population does not. And if anyone of those 90% stood in front of a cop smoking a joint, the cop would have to take some kind of action. Do you not think that his actions, made his fellow officer's jobs a little bit harder?

He deliberately tried to blow this situation up. As I said in an earlier post, more and more people who have been prescribed medical marijuana are using a vaporizer as it is more effective, doesn't involve lighting up in a traditional way and is a bit more unobtrusive. Those who don't are either old school, or are trying to show off what they can do that the rest of us can't.

So I believe he has the right to medicate using marijuana. However, he should also have the good judgement, under current laws to use a little discretion on how he uses or administers it. He was definitely crying out for attention, and he got it. He also lost the privilege of wearing the uniform, something that apparently, if we can believe the footage on tonight's news was something he cared deeply about. And I think a corporal with over 20 years service would have anticipated that.

Not to derail this thread, but this is not an endorsement or an indictment of our current drug laws. I think they are outdated and counter-productive, but they are still the laws. Personally I think it should be legalized and regulated the same way alcohol is regulated. Purchased from licensed vendors, age restricted, taxes paid, consumed in designated areas, individuals driving or doing anything else reckless while under the influence punished in court. I think anyone should be able to sit on his front porch and smoke up, but they shouldn't be giving it to their kids or driving a car under the influence.

• Like 1

You guys are way off. There is no bad example being set. The man is taking his doctor prescribed medication.

No bad example? He went out of his way to get into his dress uniform, call the police and smoke a joint in public dressed that way knowing he was going to create a controversy. How about trying to show up your employer in public? He provoked the whole thing.

Everyone was blissfully unaware, and then he had to make a spectacle of himself. Like he is the only one prescribed medical marijuana, it is not news, until a mountie in full dress does it in public in front of cameras he called.

He pushed the limits and was dealt with accordingly, and I as a taxpayer am happy with the response, as long as our current drug laws stand.

• Like 2

And as a tax payer I am disgusted with how this matter was handled. I stand by my statement, taking a doctor prescribed medication is not setting bad example.

I've never smoked it in my life but 15 joints a day seems a bit much to be carrying a firearm. Put him behind a desk and let him smoke all he wants if he goes outside.

I think the right decision was made personally and hopefully he now will get more help which he appears to need.

• Like 1

Put him behind a desk

Well there you have it.

They did put him behind a desk, in a nice cushy office job. Since there are only so many officers in his detachment, and the amount of crappy work remains the same, do you know what that means? It means the other members had to do MORE crappy work because he was not doing his share.

That's not fair to them.

Domestic disturbance? Ah, sorry I can't attend, I'm on administrative duty. Traffic accident in freezing cold at 2AM? Ah, sorry, I can't go, I'm in the office. Better call one of the guys at home in bed. Missing child and searching for 12 hours in pouring rain? Sorry, can't go, get someone else. Manning a CheckStop on Saturday night? No, I'm watching the game on TV, get someone else.

Either you pull your own weight or you don't. Anyone who has been in uniform, in either police or military, understands. You go to the wall for your fellow members, and they do it for you. Your life depends on it, and their life depends on the trust they have in you.

This member has demonstrated that he can no longer hold up his end of the bargain. He has not just let down the RCMP or the public, he has let down his fellow members in his own unit. He admits he can no longer fulfill his duties. He is no longer fit to be a member. He should do the honourable thing and resign.

• Like 1

Well there you have it.

They did put him behind a desk, in a nice cushy office job. Since there are only so many officers in his detachment, and the amount of crappy work remains the same, do you know what that means? It means the other members had to do MORE crappy work because he was not doing his share.

That's not fair to them.

Domestic disturbance? Ah, sorry I can't attend, I'm on administrative duty. Traffic accident in freezing cold at 2AM? Ah, sorry, I can't go, I'm in the office. Better call one of the guys at home in bed. Missing child and searching for 12 hours in pouring rain? Sorry, can't go, get someone else. Manning a CheckStop on Saturday night? No, I'm watching the game on TV, get someone else.

Either you pull your own weight or you don't. Anyone who has been in uniform, in either police or military, understands. You go to the wall for your fellow members, and they do it for you. Your life depends on it, and their life depends on the trust they have in you.

This member has demonstrated that he can no longer hold up his end of the bargain. He has not just let down the RCMP or the public, he has let down his fellow members in his own unit. He admits he can no longer fulfill his duties. He is no longer fit to be a member. He should do the honourable thing and resign.

Wow.

So if this officer suffered a physical impairment and needed to be accommodated, would you say the same thing? Because, I mean, he wouldn't be "pulling his weight", as you said.

• Like 2

Well there you have it.

That's not fair to them.

It probably means they will hire someone to replace him to do the crappy work that he was doing and caused him the stress in the first place. I would hope that he will do good work that was assigned to him behind that desk that is also valuable and needed. No need to resign in my opinion....just accept the decision. The other option would be paid stress leave with no work being done and another additional hiring.

Well there you have it.

That's not fair to them.

He did 21 years service, suffered PTSD as a result of his service, he isn't letting anyone down by getting a desk job and being accommodated. Should anyone who serves in high risk professions such as law enforcement, other public safety, military well you get the idea, if they get injured in the line of duty, be the injury physical or psychological just get tossed aside after the injury. No, organizations such as the RCMP need to look after the welfare of it's members. And it appears the RCMP did look after the welfare of it's member in this case.

He just slapped the RCMP in the face by smoking a joint while wearing his red serge. The issue isn't even smoking marijuana for the treatment of PTSD, it's his wearing his uniform, including red serge on public media while lighting up. He's mocked the uniform he claims to be so proud of and given a slap in the face to the RCMP, a organization that accommodated and helped him when he was no longer able to do regular policing duties

RG

To address the point cinelli made, I am in partial agreement with what he said. I am not going to downplay the fact that he needs to be accommodated and that PTSD is a serious problem.

However that being said, accommodation only goes so far. Since PTSD is a job-related illness, perhaps instead of accommodating him at work he should be removed from duty and placed on long term disability as he is clearly unable to do the job of a peace officer due to his medication. This happens to people everyday in all lines of work, where they are no longer able to function in their job. It is why they have disability programs in their contracts.

Cinelli's point is valid that by him remaining at work, but unable to do all the duties of his job, he is putting a strain not only on the organization, but his colleagues. He is taking the place of someone who can do all the roles. His colleagues now get all the midnights, now get all the unwanted duties, get less flexibility in time off, and spending time with families etc. Perhaps he should have thought of that before he decided to act the fool and try and show up the organization in the press.

Having been in a military organization as a young man I frequently had people who worked for me who were injured or unable to perform duties for a variety of reasons. That meant others had to pick up the slack, which most would gladly do for their colleagues. However, if that person started "rubbing it in" that they didn't have to do the crappy tasks, or abused the situation, they would be set right very quickly, and most likely removed far away from the work environment.

• Like 1

It probably means they will hire someone to replace him to do the crappy work that he was doing and caused him the stress in the first place

Hahaha welcome to the real world of shortstaffing, where a dozen members have to do the work of twenty. Or in this case, eleven members do the work of twenty. If he can no longer do front line policing he can transfer to Civilian Member and become a full time administrator. Then the detachment can fill his vacancy with a Regular Member who can do the full job rotation.

I would hope that he will do good work that was assigned to him behind that desk that is also valuable and needed.

The point is that every member deserves to have time off the front line. A desk job is a preferred position. Now that he gets it all the time, the opther members might not get it at all. Now they have to deal with more stress, more injuries, less recovery time.

Additional Comments:

Wow.

So if this officer suffered a physical impairment and needed to be accommodated, would you say the same thing? Because, I mean, he wouldn't be "pulling his weight", as you said.

The issue is not his PTSD or accomodation.

He has gone overboard with his attention seeking and disrespect for the uniform he pretends to cherish. The crocodile tears and eagle feather really clinched it.

In the Canadian Army there is an understanding that EVERY member has to be fit for combat duty. This isn't like stocking shelves at Walmart. Policing is a job where you can get killed. This is a job where your fellow members lives depend on you. It is not fair for some young rookie to have respond to dangerous calls while someone senior avoids them.

Kathryn, what would you think if your son or daughter was killed answering a call that this corporal refused to go to?

Edited by cinelli
typing on cellphone arggghhh