Hello and happy holidays everyone!

It's that time of the year when giving back is at the forefront of our minds. Countless charities are advertising their needs and looking forward to the biggest influx of do actions of the year.

Do you have a favourite charity you're giving to this year?

Personally, I'm getting a few things for a family with two boys and gage done the food bank thing.

I just learned about a charity called child's play. They donate games and video game systems to children's hospitals. Anyone heard of them? I like the idea!

• Like 2

Always been all for giving!

I have a child that I sponsor.. I ve been doing that for many years now I usually tend to sponsor children from my country. .. I also have family members back home that have not been as blessed as I have and I try to help when I can with what I can!

This year I have been collecting toys for the toy mountain and also I m donating 10$ from every visit I have at the spas I work from!

As you say there is so many charities and people here in Canada and abroad that can use some help...

• Like 1

I make a donation to the MS Society every year and I donated directly to one research group that does MS research right here in Ottawa. Tell me more about Child's Play. I have an XBox that is collecting dust with about 5 or 6 games, most never played.

• Like 2

OK. I'm multitasking right now but I'll be able to text later (I'm walking AND chewing gum, asking me to text too is pushing it a little). :)

Charitable giving, whether through money or time, is very important.

At this time of year I always make donations to local food banks and toy drives. Toy drives seem particularly important to me as no child should be without a new toy at Xmas. Over the winter I also make sure my kids recycle their old winter coats to the various charities that make sure kids get winter coats. On a more permanent, year round basis, I make monthly donations through payroll to the my local United Way.

Porthos

• Like 3

Every year my business buys and donates snowsuits to the Ottawa Snowsuit Fund.

Good idea Pete. And there's this great store in Orleans on Innes that is having an Osh Kosh snowsuit sale. I just bought suits for my munchkins. I think I'll pick up a dozen or so and deliver them to the Snowsuit Fund this week.

• Like 1

Guest c**io**m7

Anything that has to do with kids...cheo, snowsuit fund, food bank, christmas hampers, toy mountain...if a child benefits, count me in.

Every year my children and I pick one angel each off the angel tree and use Christmas money they get from there grandparents to buy the presents. I believe it's very important for my kids to get involved in giving back.

This year my son asked if he could buy presents for kids that would be in Cheo over the holidays. So we are doing that as well :)

We also give to the food bank all year long and donate clothes that no longer fit them to a local shelter.

• Like 2

Always! Recently just did a major cleaning of my apartment. I gave away four bags of clothing/jackets/shoes. And I always give to Second Harvest especially at this time (and try to volunteer for them if my schedule aligns--but not this year :( )

• Like 1

Guest Ou**or**n

We are extremely fortunate to live in a wealthy country that gives us a living, health care and the chance to recover from our mistakes. Many, many parts of the world are not as fortunate. I try and always remember this and I donate significantly each year towards individual and group causes that can make a difference to those living there.

I'm a sucker for almost any charity, when someone's out collecting or fundraising for certain things if I can spare I do.

Although this is the time of year were I remember someone close who passed away. She gave the greatest gift, the gift of life and this is what I remind her kids. She was an organ donor and although she is gone there is a part of her in a few lucky people to receive some of her organs. This is something we can almost all give if we pass away. So why not give someone a second chance, it cost nothing.

I'm not that religious, but one of the tenants that I properly follow is the charity bit. So every year, I give 2.5% of whatever I'm worth to charity. I have always split it three ways.

1/3 for local causes. Sick Kids this year

1/3 for national causes. This year it was a split between Calgary and Quebec (The town that lost 50 people in the train crash)

1/3 for international. Almost every year I give to one of the best charities I know of - Ehdi.

• Like 1

I donate to the United Way when they have their drive on

My nephew who is autistic went to a special school for one year, which requires donations to keep running. Along with my brother and sister in law who continue to donate to the school, I donate to the school

And finally I guess this counts too, I donate to the Salvation Army through their red kettle drive which is set up at the grocery store where I live

RG

Only the little kids in our families get gifts, the adults receive a thank you note from the charities I donated to on their behalf.

Peace

MG

I tend to have a little bit of a shopping habit! I love-love buying clothes, for both me and my daughter, therefore I donate at least 5 full garbage bags a year with our clothes, because we like to change it up. Also, love to change the interior in our bedrooms too, so therefore we end up always donating our linens, duvet covers and other decorative items. I do know that a lot of my family and friends want our stuff because they know our routine, but it is always a BIG NOPE to them, because I know that those I have in mind (womens shelter) when I am getting this stuff together are not nearly as secure as they are.

I live in a bit of an interesting area, and still live close to my daughters old elementary school. So we dropped off a nice full bag of toys, xmas décor and next week a few containers of baked goods. You would be amazed at how many kids wake up to very little or nothing at XMAS time.

For those of you who are parents, I would strongly urge you to contact your child's elementary school (current or previous) , as the teachers and staff have first hand knowledge of the kids who go without-and they can pass on your donations to them and their family :):)

Edited by V****sa Va**