Merry Christmas

Far be it for me to enter into a politically or religious debate, but I gotta say one thing...

Bah! Humbug!

Keep Christmas in your own way and let others do the same. Good will to all and to all a good night.

• Like 3

You are out of line here.

Well then, I guess I've been told. Crushed under the weight of your inarguable logic and pointed rhetoric, my arguments effectively rebutted, I shall retreat and lick my wounds, perhaps to fight another day.

Seriously though. Here's how I imagine it goes:

Liberal Politically Correct White Person: "Ooh, we should be more sensitive to other religions. Especially the children whom we don't want to feel left out that their own cultures aren't celebrated as well."

Tea Party Faux News Hillbilly: "Grrr....muslin terrists comin' to our country tryin' to take away our freedoms...."

Muslim Dude: "WTF? I didn't say anything....don't drag me into this shit."

• Like 1

I'll chime in again here after spending some thought after reading EmilyJ's latest Blogasm entry http://www.blogasms.xxx/war-on-christmas/

As I said on Twitter, I don't believe all traditions are anti-progressive. Some traditions should be kept, maintained and added however, these are more personal traditions and are related to people's beliefs, families, love and caring. As Emily J pointed out, some traditions such as traditional marriage, rights for women and of course sex workers, should be changed to reflect the times.

Why am I stating this in the Christmas thread? Because of the War of Christmas that is being spoken of. I do believe it is government, political and media hype that stirs us to cast a critical eye, be judgmental and pick up the gauntlet. I grew up hearing Merry Christmas in stores, from neighbors etc. This was back before there was such a melting pot. I did experience the change where working in the public sector we were directed by corporate to say "Happy Holidays" so no one would be offended. Just like the slew of other political correct stuff you're supposed to do or say so that others don't get offended. So many things that just happened and are now "norm".

I would rather police myself and my reactions then have someone tell me what I can and cannot do. As many have said, I take greetings and acknowledgements this time of year in the spirit they are given.

After examining my thoughts today, I realized that part of my upset was caused by the lack of tradition in school concerts. I completely agree with Brad that other religions, beliefs or non beliefs should not be forced to do something which is not comfortable for them in order to participate. So honestly, my upset in personal because I miss the days of traditional songs where everyone knew the words and sung along. A little more thinking shows a completely different state of "PEOPLE". It's the technology state and it's more about cell phones, video and the latest gadgets to capture the whole ordeal. So after all this rambling, my upset is completely personal because of the shift overall.

It is up to each individual to make the holiday whatever they chose to make it. Be upset or not, be happy or not. It's all a choice.

Peace on earth, goodwill towards men. A traditional statement but one that shouldn't be abandoned because it is as meaningful now as then. Live and let live. Be tolerant and treat others as you wish to be treated. If politicians or governments step in to take that away, stand up and be heard.

My apologies is this is rather disjointed, still thinking but wanted to throw a different perspective out there that yes, maybe it IS all in our heads and we need to step back and re-examine our thinking.

• Like 3

Resurrecting this thread to post this article:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/12/18/non-christians-arent-actually-offended-by-holiday-traditions-says-host-of-party-for-christmas-rookies/

Most people love learning about other peoples traditions. If you went to India at the right time of year, wouldn't you want to celebrate Diwali? Or attend the feast of Eid in an Islamic country?

Christmas is no exception and any controversy over it is just made up by people with a political agenda that has nothing to do with reality.

Merry Christmas to all. From an atheist who is no Grinch this time of year.